• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne - the myth

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it only bait and fun when it is non SC posters doing it?
I think you need to be a little bit more subtle to carry it off. I know this, because I've excelled at it for over a decade.

The key to proper rancid baiting is to throw in a couple of favourable stats/ points about the target's favourite player (invariably Tendulkar because that's always how you guys roll) then add the belittling aspects later in your OP or, even better, in some later posts in the thread once your target has been ensnared.

The effort in this thread is too transparent to bother substantively replying to. Very ordinary. 3/10 max.

The other take out of this is Daemon upping himself as a purveyor of this sort of schtick when in fact I've never noticed him doing it before, so tbh he frankly needs to lift his game at it too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree you have mastered it in CW but the next gen does look promising, based on this thread and the 3 pages it has already had. :p

Burgey

Lol fair enough. I think it's a sad indictment on the new CW gen that they've fallen into it for three pages.

TheJediBrah

Lol fair enough. I think it's a sad indictment on the new CW gen that they've fallen into it for three pages.
No one has fallen for it. Just because it's a troll thread doesn't mean it can't generate some time-killing discussion.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one has fallen for it. Just because it's a troll thread doesn't mean it can't generate some time-killing discussion.
Read it again, Burgey was beautifully and masterfully demonstrating the point of his post in his post.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne virtually never even bowled the "googly" (weird name for the wrong'un btw) after his shoulder surgery. Definitely can't say he mastered it when he could barely even physically bowl it.
I always preferred Bosie tbh, but I’m a history buff.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry, did I see someone near the start of the thread describe a side with Ervine, Udal and Mascarenhas as 'star studded'? What the **** are you on about?

a massive zebra

International Captain
2 hard truths: Dimitri Mascrahenas, Shaun Udal and Sean Ervine do not make up a star studded side
Sorry, did I see someone near the start of the thread describe a side with Ervine, Udal and Mascarenhas as 'star studded'? What the **** are you on about?
You are both falling into the trap of judging county sides by the standards of international cricket. The point was in relation to Hampshire and their failure to win the championship under Warne's captaincy. All three of those players have impressive first class records and considerable international experience. For much of Warne's tenure at Hampshire, they were indeed three of the leading county cricketers.

I never said these guys were star studied international players, which would obviously be an absurd statement.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
You know SA beat that "only top class side" twice. Home and away. O'Reilly played the bulk of his games against his 2 best opponents. What he would've achieved if he had frequent opportunities to pad his stats against hack sides.
You just need to take a look at Grimmett and O'Reilly's records against England and South Africa to get an idea of the relative standard of the batting lineup of those two countries during O'Reilly's era.

Grimmett vs England 106 wickets @ 32.44
Grimmett vs South Africa 77 wickets @ 15.57

O'Reilly vs England 102 wickets @ 25.36
O'Reilly vs South Africa 34 wickets @ 18.64

Combined vs England 208 wickets @ 28.97
Combined vs South Africa 111 wickets @ 16.51

So yes, playing against South Africa certainly did allow O'Reilly to "pad his stats against hack sides" - at least relatively speaking.

a massive zebra

International Captain
If County cricket was so crap, why wasn't Warne also averaging 15?
Murali (236 @ 15.62) and McGrath (89 @ 14.29) did achieve those kind of returns in county cricket.

Warne wasn't the sort of bowler who would dominate the weaker teams. I can't find the exact stats at the moment, but IIRC Warne's average in first grade cricket for St Kilda was 26. His record against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe was similar as well.

Last edited:

trundler

You just need to take a look at Grimmett and O'Reilly's records against England and South Africa to get an idea of the relative standard of the batting lineup of those two countries during O'Reilly's era.

Grimmett vs England 106 wickets @ 32.44
Grimmett vs South Africa 77 wickets @ 15.57

O'Reilly vs England 102 wickets @ 25.36
O'Reilly vs South Africa 34 wickets @ 18.64

Combined vs England 208 wickets @ 28.97
Combined vs South Africa 111 wickets @ 16.51

So yes, playing against South Africa certainly did allow O'Reilly to "pad his stats against hack sides" - at least relatively speaking.
Those look like Waqar vs early 90s NZ figures. SA had 2-4 great to not bad batsmen. Not complete minnows like early BD.