• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne School of Cricket.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
But you are not some1 averaging near 100 in test cricket, attaining great successes as a test captain 'and a great role model'...right?
Hmm...was Bradman actually a great captain from a tactical perspective, or did he just represent the epitome of 'leading by example'? I've always been a tad curious.

I can't really talk much about Shane Warne as a captain, but from what I have seen (i.e - YouTube highlights of the 1998/99 CUB series), he did come up with some pretty nifty moves. It's really hard to tell whether he would've been a good Test captain based on that and the IPL (which I admittedly have not watched that much of) alone, though. It's a possibility; no more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...was Bradman actually a great captain from a tactical perspective, or did he just represent the epitome of 'leading by example'? I've always been a tad curious.
I'd always thought not (in respect to being a great tactical captain). However, I was recently presented with something written (or said, can't remember which) by Bill Brown, detailed here, which is the first praise I've ever read of Bradman's tactical captaincy skills. So maybe there's more out there, and if so I'd be prepared to revise what I've always thought about him as a captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
With all the due respect to great Shane Warne,captaining in a Twenty20 event can't be used to say how good someone could have been at test level,especially considering he is retired from international Cricket.
With some ppl, u can juz say looking at them for 1 game. I felt that Sehwag would make a very good captain juz watching him stand in during a challenger trophy game... Cricket is quite different to other sports in that it is possible to judge potential within a very small framework, even though the game itself is such a large canvass. For me, Warne and to a lesser extent, Sehwag, would make very good captains simply because they have that something extra about them when leading the side. It can't always be explained. When you have watched the game long enough, followed each and every ball, seen how the various field settings and stuff work, how the tactics pan out, then you will know. Unfortunately, you won't get any of that looking up scores in cricinfo. :)

With some ppl, u can juz say looking at them for 1 game. I felt that Sehwag would make a very good captain juz watching him stand in during a challenger trophy game... Cricket is quite different to other sports in that it is possible to judge potential within a very small framework, even though the game itself is such a large canvass. For me, Warne and to a lesser extent, Sehwag, would make very good captains simply because they have that something extra about them when leading the side. It can't always be explained. When you have watched the game long enough, followed each and every ball, seen how the various field settings and stuff work, how the tactics pan out, then you will know. Unfortunately, you won't get any of that looking up scores in cricinfo. :)
I have been closely following international and to some extent county cricket for 10 years and I never observed that something special Shane Warne which makes someone alltime great captain.But I accept that he could have been better captain than Ponting at least.

pasag

RTDAS
I'd always thought not (in respect to being a great tactical captain). However, I was recently presented with something written (or said, can't remember which) by Bill Brown, detailed here, which is the first praise I've ever read of Bradman's tactical captaincy skills. So maybe there's more out there, and if so I'd be prepared to revise what I've always thought about him as a captain.
From the Perry biography (don't say it Archie :p):

There was a lot of criticism after Australia went 0-2 down in 36/37, Fairfax is quoted to have said after the loss:

You have to mother a cricket team, and Bradman is no mother. He is too brilliantly individual. Armstrong, Woodfull - they were the skippers to study the player's interests and get the best out of them. Don simply does not come up with that. He is a pleasant little chap, hard-headed and shrewed.

Although that's expected after a loss, really. Then you have the reversing the batting order, playing a couple of men close to the bat in one match to make the batsmen think there was something wrong with the wicket.

From a newspaper article in 48 on a tour match:

Bradman has not changed one whit, he is still the greatest batsman in the world and good will tour or not, he remains the coolest and most ruthless strategist in cricket. The mammoth 721 total against Essex on Saturday - the highest number of runs ever scored in one day - was far more that a holiday feast for the crowd. It was all part of his deliberate, merciless, efficient plan, brilliant in its execution, to build up the biggest possible psychological advantage for the Australians over the English bowlers as a whole.

And obviously there's alot of praise from Perry on his captaincy, though it's been described as a pretty biased work at times. He definitley had a brilliant knowledge of the game and its tactics and he had the complete respect of nearly all of his men (Fingleton and O'Reilly the obvious exceptions). Would be interesting to see how that book that was very critical of Bradman can't remember what it was called describes his captaincy.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have been closely following international and to some extent county cricket for 10 years and I never observed that something special Shane Warne which makes someone alltime great captain.But I accept that he could have been better captain than Ponting at least.
lol.... I was never really serious abt him being my all time XI captain. That was just some jolly OTT posting enjoying the moment. But I do think he would have been comfortably better than almost all international captains... Esp. if he had captained Australia, who had so many good players that even when his sometimes left field tactics dont work out, they could have pulled them back into the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Incidentally, I back Warnie's comments about Jadeja; he is awfully good. Looks the best by some distance of the non-international Indian batsmen I've seen in this tournament.
While he has looked good, I hope this tournament isn't used to catapult someone like Jadeja into the national Test side anytime soon, without the pre-requisite performances in FC cricket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While he has looked good, I hope this tournament isn't used to catapult someone like Jadeja into the national Test side anytime soon, without the pre-requisite performances in FC cricket.
It's a tough one. Scoring heavily in Indian FC cricket seems to be the rule rather than the exception so if he averages 60 next season, does that mean he's ready for international cricket? Regardless, he looks like he has the x-factor which puts him above the rest, a confidence which doesn't look fragile (like Yuvraj's, for example). Similar to Rohit Sharma (love that guy) although perhaps not as well developed yet. Maybe if he gets a county contract next season and plays FC cricket against some Test bowlers, we'll know more.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah performing in front of large crowds and against some good international bowlers and showing the player can handle pressure is certainly be a plus for his resume but he has to get the runs of the board in FC cricket first.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything that made him look like an even better captain because he stood up for his player in public. In fact Smith has said in an interview that he was quite happy that his captain had publicly backed him (or something along those words).
Now I have seen many people calling Smith a real prick. A real prick is applauding somebody??? I am puzzled. Love to see him commenting on the Clark-ponting incident as well.

pasag

RTDAS
Struggling to see what the connection between your post and my post is.

Warne was fined part of his match fee for his press conference in which he stood up for Smith who claimed he took the catch. You bought that up to try denigrate him in some way, I said if anything that shows one of his qualities as captain, that of going into bat for his teammates. How does the below post have anything to do with any of that?

Migara said:
Now I have seen many people calling Smith a real prick. A real prick is applauding somebody??? I am puzzled. Love to see him commenting on the Clark-ponting incident as well.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Capatincy does not mean only onfield sucess. It involves discipline and being a role odel and an ambassador of motherland. I am failing to see how a womaniser, drug cheat and a player involved with a bookies to be an ambassador to your country.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Incidentally, I back Warnie's comments about Jadeja; he is awfully good. Looks the best by some distance of the non-international Indian batsmen I've seen in this tournament.
He's good but I rate Virat Kohli as the best of that U-19 class with regards to batsmen. Virat oozes class whenever I've seen him play.

Burgey

Can someone please post a link on here to an angle that shows that Clarke's catch of Ganguly in Sydney bounced, coz I still haven't seen one. Not saying it didn't, just saying I haven't seen it.
Certainly, after the other night one wouldn't rely on Ganghastly's reaction to being caught as a meaningful indicator.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Can someone please post a link on here to an angle that shows that Clarke's catch of Ganguly in Sydney bounced, coz I still haven't seen one. Not saying it didn't, just saying I haven't seen it.
Certainly, after the other night one wouldn't rely on Ganghastly's reaction to being caught as a meaningful indicator.
The question lies with whether it bounced or not. The real problem was Ponting indicating to the umpire that it was out.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was a 2 hour recap of the Sydney Test on here last week where they showed a couple of angles where it looked extremely contentious. Certainly not clear cut, and it didn't looked clear at all back then when I first saw it.

And why this Sourav witch-hunt. Like no other cricketer has influenced an umpire's decision. Hell you have Ricky Ponting giving opposition batsmen out and apparently he did nothing wrong.

Top_Cat

Capatincy does not mean only onfield sucess. It involves discipline and being a role odel and an ambassador of motherland. I am failing to see how a womaniser, drug cheat and a player involved with a bookies to be an ambassador to your country.
Once again, it's your opinion on what constitutes a decent captain, not set in stone. Many are happy if the on-field sucess happens with the rest as mere details and irrelevant. You failing to see it just means you disagree.