• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am ****ing sad right now. The greatest cricketer I have actually spoken to. I wrote that big piece on his cricketing retirement here that I should dig up. Whatever be his faults, he seemed very very generous when talking cricket and to cricketers. One of the real stars - genius, icon, legend - any adjective you use, he was worthy of it. This hits hard man, hits personally. :(

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is tragic as ****, and it's always been hard not to retain a soft spot for him even while I was ranting about his commentary. What a shock, bloody hell.
Ultimately that was the genius of Warne. The bloke got away with more off field crap than anyone and just sailed through.

But seriously. What a ****ing cricketer he was. You’d go to the game, he’d come on to bowl and everyone in the crowd would sit forward in their seats, transfixed. Something would always happen.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Jesus ****ing Christ. Genuinely had to double check if this was a hoax account and/or a hoax story. It's neither.

**** me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ultimately that was the genius of Warne. The bloke got away with more off field crap than anyone and just sailed through.

But seriously. What a ****ing cricketer he was. You’d go to the game, he’d come on to bowl and everyone in the crowd would sit forward in their seats, transfixed. Something would always happen.
I think we have been perhaps sometimes too harsh on him personally too... I mean, at least he really did care about cricket and cricketers and was always up for a chat even with random fans like me while preparing for a test.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Horrid news. On the field, every delivery was enthralling. He changed the dynamic of the game, kids wanted to bowl leggies once again.

A true one off.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah his commentary blended in as the years went by but when he analysed spin bowling there was nobody better to listen to. I remember during the 09 Ashes, Oz put a long partnership on at Lords in day 4 and the game went flat for a while. Him and Atherton (I think it was Athers) just talked, mainly about spin bowling tactics. Man I was captivated. I always remember that and have probably mentioned it stacks.

And then he’d do those features at lunch and whatever where he’d help young spinners out.

There was a footballer, Frank Worthington, he’d been player/manager at Tranmere before moving on. The season after he comes on against us as sub and says to one of our players ‘you guys are still in this, come on’. Warne always struck me as that same type of character. Fiercely competitive, wanted to be the best, but a lover of the game and would happily give advice to his opponent before going onto destroy them.

Man I can’t believe this. Feel like crying. As someone who is unashamedly partisan when it comes to sports, he still breaks into my very top tier of favourites.

In presenting him the Oz MOTS in 05, Atherton said something along the lines of, the word great is often overused but here it’s appropriate - ladies and gentlemen, the great Shane Warne.