• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****ing hell that's terrible news. For me he's the best cricketer to watch in the history of the game, probably my favourite cricketer ever. I don't know if I'd even have got interested in cricket if it weren't for him. When he was bowling it was like watching a completely different sport.

tony p

First Class Debutant
A shocking day for Australian cricket.

Rod Marsh and now Warnie, can't believe it, Shane was 2 years younger than me. His whole career was part of me growing up, I thought he was indestructable.
RIP to the greatest.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
once had the luck to talk to him for a few minutes at lord's before a middx v hants game. I was with my little cousin who was an aspiring leggie and he was nothing but encouraging towards her. was only in his presence for a two mins max but you could see the mark it left on her.

like it's been said the fella cared deeply about the game and always seemed excellent with young players

RIP big man.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Warne bowled the hardest type of bowling to get right in the nets let alone in a game and he made it an art form. No leg spinner I have ever seen mastered all aspects of spin bowling while turning the ball as much with such control. Even when he was playing in the BBL on the other side of 40, he made you tune in. I will miss a lot of things about him as a spectator of the game. My youtube suggestions/homepage always had some highlight of his or the other all the time and I am guessing there will be a whole lot more when I wake up tomorrow for me to watch.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if being in Thailand affected anything at all. He was pretty adamant in an interview I saw recently that he's never taken recreational drugs and has no interest in them, but maybe jet lag, humidity etc could increase the chance of a heart attack.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
once had the luck to talk to him for a few minutes at lord's before a middx v hants game. I was with my little cousin who was an aspiring leggie and he was nothing but encouraging towards her. was only in his presence for a two mins max but you could see the mark it left on her.

like it's been said the fella cared deeply about the game and always seemed excellent with young players

RIP big man.
Can totally relate and agree as someone who was lucky enough to talk to him about legspin for quite a few mins once and a couple of other times too, but for lesser time. Guy loved talking cricket and was always generous with his time towards young cricketers. What he accomplished at Rajasthan Royals was phenomenal as well. Jadeja was identified and backed by him and Yusuf was groomed under him. And Yusuf helped us win 2 WCs. You cant really discount his BO impact. He (along with MSD) MADE the IPL must see in its first few years as well. His contribution to the game is going to be vastly underrated, esp. to the financial side.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Rest well, Warney. Always a character, on and off the field. Despite his many gaffes, I never thought him to be a fundamentally vile sort, and could even let his overeager commentary recede into ambient background noise because hey, it was ****in Warney after all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wonder if being in Thailand effected anything at all. He was pretty adamant in an interview I saw recently that he's never taken recreational drugs and has no interest in them, but maybe jet lag, humidity etc could increase the chance of a heart attack.
Ganguly had major heart issues not long ago and he is known to be reasonably clean in his lifestyle. I dont think it is of much use to speculate at this point about cause of death etc. No matter the reason, the cricket world is much poorer today than it was yesterday. I thought Rod Marsh was relatively young to have passed away in his 70s just this morning. :(

cnerd123

likes this
Genuinely a childhood hero. I used to bowl legspin just because of him. Him winning the IPL with RR was one of my fondest memories. He had a great mind of the game, genuine artist with the ball, echo all the other kind words here. Was part of the fabric of our sport. Incredible loss. This is going to take a while to sink in.