• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib banned for failure to disclose approaches

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was McCullum skipper when NZ ran out Murali when he walked down the track to congratulate his partner on reaching a milestone?
No, but he was the one who took the bails off. That wasn't great, although Murali was a dumb prick.

thierry henry

International Coach
I've always found it odd that it isn't universally recognised that McCullum is a complete ****wit. He just sort of obviously is one, like Kevin Pietersen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saw TH had posted in this thread and was wondering how a discussion surrounding a player's height might have come about. Never mind.

There are a few blokes like that. I reckon Haze would be a sly **** bloke who's ****ishness flies under the radar tbh. Dunno why, just looks it to me.

thierry henry

International Coach
Personally I don't think it's possible to be a hyper-aggressive sloggy sort of batsman without being at least a bit of a ****. Respect the sport ffs.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Let out Cairns accidentally.

I don't know why I threw Inzi in there, just assumed he did like everyone else in the 90s. :laugh:

Revised XI

Waugh
McCullum
Shakib
Gibbs
Azhar
Cronje
Cairns
Akram
Warne
Lillee
Waqar

Pretty killer team tbh
Sunil Gavaskar should probably be in there ahead of Wasim/Waqar. While he didn't do any fixing, he wantedly threw a match for selfish reasons.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Shakib definitely deserved the ban as per ICC rules. He got the punishment and accepted it. But he's not a cheater or match fixer. He did not report the approach from the bookie which he should have done. If I remember correctly he already once reported one appoach to ICC few years back. We can only speculate as why he didn't report the approaches this time and why even he replied to the guy. At the end of the day he didn't leak any information or fixed any matches. There is a difference between actually committing a crime and entertaining thoughts of doing it (unsure even if he had those thoughts).

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ICC’s evidence includes WhatsApp conversations between the two(Shakib and the bookmaker) beginning in January 2018 which included conversations about bitcoin and dollar accounts as well as Aggarwal asking Shakib about “work” during the IPL.

This doesn't look good .Also rumours of another big name to be charged in the coming few weeks.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've always found it odd that it isn't universally recognised that McCullum is a complete ****wit. He just sort of obviously is one, like Kevin Pietersen.
Yeah but KP is 6' whereas McCullum is a true 5'8 so that means one of them wins I think.

Real talk not sure why McCullum is in this conversation, reported a conversation that led to the banning of Cairns. No evidence whatsoever he did anything wrong. Immediately rebuffed the offer. I guess he could've reported it immediately?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah but KP is 6' whereas McCullum is a true 5'8 so that means one of them wins I think.

Real talk not sure why McCullum is in this conversation, reported a conversation that led to the banning of Cairns. No evidence whatsoever he did anything wrong. Immediately rebuffed the offer. I guess he could've reported it immediately?
Not reporting it immediately is the official reason Shakib was banned.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yeah it looks pretty bad. I have zero sympathy for Shakib, a random no-name guy doing this I can still understand, but to be the biggest star of a cricket crazy nation , fairly well paid (I assume) - how daft do you have to be to still not immediately report it.