• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag greatest ever in sub continent?

ret

International Debutant
It isn't a bad thing at all. He'd be of far less use to India if he was **** against spin but was outstanding on seaming tracks.
You mean tracks like the one at Nagpur where he scored a 100 despite Styen making the ball talk .... Or the 50s he scored at the same venue when Aus could not believe its luck to find a green pitch. The match in which Ganguly did not play

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, early this year in RSA was a bit of an interesting one with Sehwag. He was getting to starts, sometimes lucky but sometimes playing well but then was getting out in weird ways.. Soft dismissals, nothing to do with the pitch or the bowlers' or fielders' brilliance.. Just scooping balls to cover or mid off and like..

England was far worse although he had been out of cricket for so long and to take on that bowling line up in those conditions, I felt would have been too much for any batsman of today.. Let it be Ponting or Dravid or Sachin or Kallis or Sanga, I felt they would have struggled just like Sehwag if they came off such a big offtime straight to those tests...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Back to the thread topic, fair shout. I personally would give the title to Tendulkar because of huge longevity (almost 9000 runs @ 60, IIRC). Garry Sobers also was imperious in SC - had almost a Bradman-esque average with more than 10 matches in SC IIRC.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. Sachin has great numbers but Sehwag'' SR + Avg and the fact that he has been doing it for almost 10 years now too shows that he is very much THE MAN when it comes batting on these tracks.. He is just so absurdly good.

abmk

State 12th Man
My top 5 in 'Asia' would probably be in no particular order:

Sehwag
Sachin
Mahela
Gavaskar
Inzi

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah there are plenty of India-Pak-SL greats who average in the range of 55-65 but their SR in all cases under 60. Sehwag is the only one who combines that similar average with a SR of 80+.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I think I would Mahela behind Gavaskar, Miandad, Sangakkara (??) and Inzy

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman would have easily adjusted to the low bounce and spin on the flattest tracks of th world, and would have averaged 200 with a SR of 70. So no chance.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It isn't a bad thing at all. He'd be of far less use to India if he was **** against spin but was outstanding on seaming tracks.
Massively disagree. A player good against pace and poor against spin will have a party time in Indian team, because even tail enders will bash the spinners for fun. When spin is the key against such a player, it will be playing in to the hands of the rest of the team, and will find it difficult to maintain the attack. The prime example is Sangakkara. Would have averaged lesser if he was in a team which has poor batsmen against spin.

smash84

The Tiger King
Massively disagree. A player good against pace and poor against spin will have a party time in Indian team, because even tail enders will bash the spinners for fun. When spin is the key against such a player, it will be playing in to the hands of the rest of the team, and will find it difficult to maintain the attack. The prime example is Sangakkara. Would have averaged lesser if he was in a team which has poor batsmen against spin.
Fair point

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, early this year in RSA was a bit of an interesting one with Sehwag. He was getting to starts, sometimes lucky but sometimes playing well but then was getting out in weird ways.. Soft dismissals, nothing to do with the pitch or the bowlers' or fielders' brilliance.. Just scooping balls to cover or mid off and like..

England was far worse although he had been out of cricket for so long and to take on that bowling line up in those conditions, I felt would have been too much for any batsman of today.. Let it be Ponting or Dravid or Sachin or Kallis or Sanga, I felt they would have struggled just like Sehwag if they came off such a big offtime straight to those tests...
Yeah it was always going to be a tall order.