• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scorecard Draft

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Going by some of the players in your team that you call all time greats, someone else could quite easily claim Marsh as the best wicketkeeper.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Going by some of the players in your team that you call all time greats, someone else could quite easily claim Marsh as the best wicketkeeper.
I called Gilchrist, Headley, Lohmann, Benaud and Boycott all-time greats. All of the 5 are widely respected around the cricketing world. I think everybody except you might accept that. However, I didn't call Headley the best batsman the world has ever produced, or something like that. There's a distinct difference between the two, common-sense will tell you that.

On a side note, it seems that your choices are quite opposite to mine sometimes. From the ratings that you did for ODI Auction Draft, I remember Marcus Trescothick's X-factor moves you, but Inzamam's don't. I'll pay thousand times more to see Inzamam on full flow than I'll pay to see Marcus on full flow. So, I'm not too surprised that you disagree with me on this point also.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I called Gilchrist, Headley, Lohmann, Benaud and Boycott all-time greats. All of the 5 are widely respected around the cricketing world. I think everybody except you might accept that. However, I didn't call Headley the best batsman the world has ever produced, or something like that. There's a distinct difference between the two, common-sense will tell you that.
Benaud is not an ATG, AFAIC. Perhaps not Boycott either.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Benaud is not an ATG, AFAIC. Perhaps not Boycott either.
They certainly are, unless your all-time great list consists 25 cricketers, or so. Mine contains more.

Benaud's legacy as a leg-spin bowling alrounder and an Aussie captain is beyond dispute. So is Boycott's legacy as an opener. They are still remembered, and will be in future - at least by me.

I don't see the point you guys are making. Calling Sehwag an all-time great is fine, but calling Boycott so isn't! Calling Marsh the (not one of the) best wicketkeeper of all-time is fine, but making a point about Benaud's legacy as a cricketer isn't! Lauding Marcus Trescothick's X-factor as an ODI opener is fine, but recognizing Inzamam's grace isn't! Not recognizing WG Grace's alround ability is fine! I doubt whether we watch the same sport.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
From what I have read - he certainly can find a place in Top 10...
That's a bit debatable, though that's a better way of putting it. By the way, would you mind citing some examples of what you've read, and from where?

However, whether or not he was THE best wicketkeeper of all-time isn't debatable at all. :)

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They certainly are, unless your all-time great list consists 25 cricketers, or so. Mine contains more.

Benaud's legacy as a leg-spin bowling alrounder and an Aussie captain is beyond dispute. So is Boycott's legacy as an opener. They are still remembered, and will be in future - at least by me.

I don't see the point you guys are making. Calling Sehwag an all-time great is fine, but calling Boycott so isn't! Calling Marsh the (not one of the) best wicketkeeper of all-time is fine, but making a point about Benaud's legacy as a cricketer isn't! Lauding Marcus Trescothick's X-factor as an ODI opener is fine, but recognizing Inzamam's grace isn't! Not recognizing WG Grace's alround ability is fine! I doubt whether we watch the same sport.
yeah, tbf, my list of ATGs would be very less.. like 30 or 35.. And I don't think these guys will figure there. Fair enough if you rate them more leniently. :)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, tbf, my list of ATGs would be very less.. like 30 or 35..
Fair enough, then (though both of them will be on the verge of making it to the best 35 anyways, but it's an arguable case I agree).

This 'all-time great' term is so subjective. By 'all-time great' I meant among 45-50 best cricketers of all-time.

kingkallis

International Coach
That's a bit debatable, though that's a better way of putting it. By the way, would you mind citing some examples of what you've read, and from where?

However, whether or not he was THE best wicketkeeper of all-time isn't debatable at all. :)
And so does your claims about Benaud and Boycs ;)

Thats 2 against 1 :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Boycott (according to me) is among top 7-8 openers of all-time, surely (arguably among top 6).

Benaud (according to me) is among top 4-5 spin bowling alrounders, surely.

Calling them ATG's is a NO-NO in CW !!!

Oh you forgot! Boycott averages below 50! Huh a doddler nowadays averages over 50! He probably couldn't hold a bat at all!

Benaud is old anyways! International cricket was club-standard those days! We don't recognize any cricketer that old except Bradman, Sobers, Hobbs and Barnes! Our list of top 50 cricketers consists of those 4 old people and another 46 who played in last 30 years!

We are smart people you know!

kingkallis

International Coach
Boycott (according to me) is among top 7-8 openers of all-time, surely (arguably among top 6).

Benaud (according to me) is among top 4-5 spin bowling alrounders, surely.

Calling them ATG's is a NO-NO in CW !!!

Oh you forgot! Boycott averages below 50! Huh a doddler nowadays averages over 50! He probably couldn't hold a bat at all!

Benaud is old anyways! International cricket was club-standard those days! We don't recognize any cricketer that old except Bradman, Sobers, Hobbs and Barnes! Our list of top 50 cricketers consists of those 4 old people and another 46 who played in last 30 years!

We are smart people you know!
Calm doan yaar...relax!

Now we know about Hammonds and Huttons and Warrels and Headleys and Pollocks and Barringtons too...

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** it, my ATG list every player to play Test cricket on it barring the ones you lot picked. Erfgo, my team is full of ATGs and none of you have a single one - according to me.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
**** it, my ATG list every player to play Test cricket on it barring the ones you lot picked. Erfgo, my team is full of ATGs and none of you have a single one - according to me.
That might be according to you, Marcuss.

But according to me, every team has quite a few all-time greats, my team has 5. A few teams have even more. And there are a few teams here which I consider better than mine (unlike the ODI Auction Draft, of course).

Last edited: