• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
andyc said:
Oh look I know this is immature and pointless, but..
I fail to see the correlation between my posts. In one I was saying I would thoroughly expect the Aussies to wind us up if we were knocked out, and in the ohter stated that I severly disliked the Portugese players and their attitude. I also edited out that I hoped Ronaldo broke his leg in the semi, but seeing as much worse thingsa have been written about him, I needn't have bothered.

So yes, it was a pretty pointless post. :)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Still can't believe Lampard missed so many chances. He really was the worst player out there and can't believe Sven took off Joe Cole instead. Tsk. Tsk.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
What if an England player had done it? I'll say it again, several of our squad would probably have done it.

FWIW, hasn't Rooney admitted it was a red-card offence? Not sure about that though.
I don't agree with the fact that several of our squad would have done it, but if they had, that would still have made them scum. I'm not one to discriminate on nationality - there are plenty of English players I really don't like. Just wait for the day Lee Bowyer gets another cap....:@

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Give it up Grecian.

Even if Henry gets 2 hat-tricks, he will continue to insist he's right.

The sheer fact he rates Ronaldo ahead of Henry says it all.
TBF though he does have a lot better record in Major Tournaments and that is a fact.

Wow I never thought I would defend II Fenomeno - I feel so dirty.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Marc - question

Do you think it is ridiculous to claim that Ronaldo at his best was better than Henry, or just to state that he is better now?

imo when Ronaldo was in his prime, there were few better. Before the McDonalds sponsorship kicked in.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Tom Halsey said:
Why are you all supporting the Germans? To be honest from here I'm supporting Portugal because they're the outsiders.
Never liked them, even before the weekend match, too many antics for me.

Allez Les Bleus.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Marc - question

Do you think it is ridiculous to claim that Ronaldo at his best was better than Henry, or just to state that he is better now?

imo when Ronaldo was in his prime, there were few better. Before the McDonalds sponsorship kicked in.
Ronaldo at his best was incredible, and better than Henry imo. Ronaldo today is still a pretty good striker, and he showed glimpses in some of the later games of the WC, but he's nowhere near Henry.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ronaldo at his best was incredible, and better than Henry imo. Ronaldo today is still a pretty good striker, and he showed glimpses in some of the later games of the WC, but he's nowhere near Henry.
I agree. I have to a point said that Scaly's arguments aren't as ridiculous as some make out. However, I would also say that some of the things he does are outstanding regardless of who they are against, I remember him scoring a backheel against Charlton, and that could have been against Brazil in 1970, it still would have gone in, he is that good.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
They've both scored 3 goals, but Ronaldo had fewer chances (which is partially his own fault for being a fat boy). Chief wasting chances will cost France when they're in a fairly even game, that's why Ronaldo is still better even now.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Okie guys enough of Fat boy vs henry ,i want to bring forward another argument.

Is Zizou the best since Maradona?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
That is precisely my point - Ronaldo did have a spell when he was awesome, however he's nowhere near that level now.

Still, I guess there is also Klose who is apparently a better player...

Scaly piscine

Some of us like to judge on results and facts, you marc like to judge on front and bull excrement.

Perhaps you'd like to re-award the World Cup, CL, Premier League etc. over the last few decades and give it the teams with the most style points?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
Some of us like to judge on results and facts, you marc like to judge on front and bull excrement.
Presumably you therefore consider, say, Gerd Muller (68 goals in 62 games) better than Maradona (34 in 91)?

Scaly piscine

BoyBrumby said:
Presumably you therefore consider, say, Gerd Muller (68 goals in 62 games) better than Maradona (34 in 91)?
They play completely different roles so you can't compare them by looking at their goals scored, which is what you're presumably after since I've not seen either play much.

Everyone except marc has seen how many chief poseur has missed compared to Klose and Ronaldo, chief hasn't done a great deal else but occasionally take his good chances so once you look at it like that instead of being taken in by all the meaningless hype and postulating etc. it's pretty simple who most sides would rather have... Klose first then Ronaldo then chief poseur. These sorts of simple facts aren't at my disposal concerning your two players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Utter rubbish.

I bet you wouldn't find 1 team in the world who would take Ronaldo or Klose ahead of Henry.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
They play completely different roles so you can't compare them by looking at their goals scored, which is what you're presumably after since I've not seen either play much.

Everyone except marc has seen how many chief poseur has missed compared to Klose and Ronaldo, chief hasn't done a great deal else but occasionally take his good chances so once you look at it like that instead of being taken in by all the meaningless hype and postulating etc. it's pretty simple who most sides would rather have... Klose first then Ronaldo then chief poseur. These sorts of simple facts aren't at my disposal concerning your two players.
So, if "most sides" would rather have Klose than Henry, why don't they seek him out? Klose was valued at 10 million or so before the WC, and obviously Henry would command far, far more if he was ever transferred. Klose also had a good WC in 2002, so it's not as though he's just been discovered. All the clubs in Europe just being stupid, I suppose?