• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except he was shown a straight red.

Any abuse after that is irrelevant (since that was a result of the red card)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And that happened where exactly?
It was what caused the whole thing... clearly shown on every replay.

Debatable whether it was deliberate or not, but I think it possibly was.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
And that happened where exactly?
You can't be serious?

I am pretty sure he didn't mean to do it, so either the ref made a poor decision or Rooney said something after conceeding the foul...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, I'm not doubting they tangled up, but there is a long way from a tangle to the so called "serious foul"

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think even as an accident that foul is worthy of a yellow. It's like an elbow to the head - it's a yellow even if it's not intentional, most of the time. If he meant to do it, it's a straight red without question.

Either way, to commit a foul like that, then show dissent and push another player is obviously something that could land you a red card.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
No, I'm not doubting they tangled up, but there is a long way from a tangle to the so called "serious foul"
Considering that you've already admitted it was a foul, and a kick in the ******** hurts, I'd call it serious.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
grecian said:
Your missing the real point though, a top-class stikers main point is to get into the positions, its 95% of the attackers art, finishing is the extra bit. This is what scaly fails to appreciate, Henrys caught offside so much coz he makes so many runs, his movement is what makes him world-class. Also why Ronaldos lack of movement means hes finished as a world-class performer.
Ridiculous, they're both important otherwise each team would just pick Hargreaveses (with a bit less of the headless chicken element) to run around up front all day. Ronaldo as a fatty > chief poseur. Ronaldo and Klose have still took nearly all of their chances, chief scores half if he's lucky - that's the main difference. Chief is caught offside so much because he's still a converted midfielder who still finishes and moves like one. With his pace he's no need to get caught offside in most situations, but he still does it frequently for France.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Considering that you've already admitted it was a foul, and a kick in the ******** hurts, I'd call it serious.
It's a foul because of the tangle up - it is far from a "serious" foul since it wasn't even worthy of a yellow, let alone a red.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Argentinian Referee was deliberately heavy on English offences and very easy on the Portugese !!

Several dives by Portugese players not carded , not even Yellow , when 1 or 2 of those would have been Red with any other referee. Rooney incident was an example of the ref unfairly penalising one side and going over board. At most it should have been only a Yellow . He must have been hurting from the Argentinian loss the previous night and taken it on the English !!

Does FIFA deliberately put Argentinian referees for crucial English games ?

Why is it that England penalty takers like Gerrard and Lampard look like they have already missed or not likely to get it even before their penalty shot ?
Do they know before hand or were they not planning to take the penalty kick seriously ?

Deciding tied matches on Penalty kicks IMO is one of the most dubious ways of finding a result !!

andyc

GeraintIsMyHero said:
[I have edited this post] There are a whole bunch of teams I don't like in the semis, regardless of who progresses of France/Brazil, but I will even support the Germans over the Portugese, I have never seen such diving and such ...can't find a word... basically they are like a bunch of kids telling the teacher off someone.
Oh look I know this is immature and pointless, but..

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Like I said, it's football, that's the way it is and always will be and I would expect nothing less if we were knocked out

But I have nothing to worry about because we are going to win the World Cup :cool:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Jason why are you acting like the Germans are villains who are cheating by having their home fans cheering them? Ridiculous.
That's (home fans cheering) not what I meant when I referred to milking the host nation advantage .

Most people know what it implies and its not just merely home fans !!

France beat Brazil in 98 with controversies about Ronaldo's epileptic fit before the game etc... there are a lot of strange things that happen behind the scenes which help the host nation ..... And believe me they come in to play when games are tied and penalty kicks are to determine results ....

grecian

Scaly piscine said:
Ridiculous, they're both important otherwise each team would just pick Hargreaveses (with a bit less of the headless chicken element) to run around up front all day. Ronaldo as a fatty > chief poseur. Ronaldo and Klose have still took nearly all of their chances, chief scores half if he's lucky - that's the main difference. Chief is caught offside so much because he's still a converted midfielder who still finishes and moves like one. With his pace he's no need to get caught offside in most situations, but he still does it frequently for France.
No the movement of an attacker is quite different to the movement of a player like Hargreaves. Henry was a midfielder years ago, and is now a top attacker. Ronaldo and klose have missed many chances, you just haven't noted them in your pedantic ways.

Face it Scaly he scored the winner against the favorites in the competition in the quater-finals of the World Cup, you'd seem a little more credible if you gave some credit for that.

Cloete

International Captain
broncoman said:
haha england lol....
Yeah fair play to the Portuguese

Thought they throroughly otuclassed the English team today lead inspirationally by Figo who, along with Zidane for France, showed they've still got that class. Ronaldo also had an excellent match and I'm glad he didn't let Rooney's physical harrasment put him off his game. Same can be said for Carvalho.

Well done to Ricardo as well, some top saves. He's certainly a top penalty stopper. Hargreaves was good for England when little else was. They were simply outplayed and showed why they are so overrated. They barely played one good match all tournament and deserved to go out.

Rooney's push on Ronaldo was idiotic and unwarranted and is normally deserving of a yellow but his verbal abuse and stamping on Carvalho helped justify the red.

Feel sorry for a few English fans, but I certainly feel no sympathy at all for a number of others. Not a greay day for the English considering the mauling in the cricket.