• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never seen anyone who looked as comfortable as Mark was against great fast blowers
He would play some incredible knocks at really tough times, but then on a flat wicket against second-raters just always get out somehow

Reactions: Gob

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Will this be the weakest England team to tour Aus since 90s ?
On paper, almost certainly.

The two teams who copped 5-nillers both looked considerably stronger in theory than they proved in reality though, tiptoeing through the tulip fields of the bleedin' obvious as I am.

Gob

International Coach
On paper, almost certainly.

The two teams who copped 5-nillers both looked considerably stronger in theory than they proved in reality though, tiptoeing through the tulip fields of the bleedin' obvious as I am.
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

vs

Cook
Carnberry
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Root
Prior
Broad
Swann
Tremelett
Anderson

starting lineups. Things went down hard afterwards but yeah pretty decent

Gob

International Coach
Further evidence to how papers lie

Aust Melbourne 2010

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Hilfenhause

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm honestly not Gambhiring here, but I really think the Ashes is more or less a free hit for Australia.

Wood's the only one of our bowlers who's capable of 140kmh with regularity who isn't currently broken, our batting has no top order and a tail that starts at five, and Stokes's head is still ****ed from losing his dad.

Root might haul us to a couple of semi-competitive scores, but at the time of writing I don't think he has any tons in Oz yet, so that's far from a given.
I suppose what will possibly make the series competitive is how bad Australia's batting is too. Really, the only two spots in the order who you'd put money on scoring with any level of consistency these days are three and four. I know a number of people don't agree, but I'm of the view Warner is a shot duck, and there's no proven partner for him, let alone a replacement. There's a big chance Aus will regularly be one and two for not many, and if that's the case, the new ball is always a chance of picking the big two wickets up cheaply.

I do think Aus will win, but I don't see it being the sort of cake walk it's been for three of the past four tours tbh. I'm hoping England doesn't win a test though, as it would be awesome for them to go over a decade without doing so here.

sunilz

International Regular
I do think Aus will win, but I don't see it being the sort of cake walk it's been for three of the past four tours tbh. I'm hoping England doesn't win a test though, as it would be awesome for them to go over a decade without doing so here.
Unless I am missing something, it has already been 10 years since 10/11 ashes

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think we might win a Test this time. Australia are not that strong, especially if Smith isn’t fully fit. Despite the chronic limitations our batting does have potential for the occasional big score. If the moon is in the seventh house we might sneak one. :tooth:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys have to play Crawley and Lawrence, or at least one of them. Feel like they will be good in Australia. And take the pressure off Root.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Sibley and lawrence where both fantastic last time the lions toured australia, particularly lawrence. Don't know how you fit him in though. Burns Hameed Malan root pope bairstow woakes/moeen as a top 7 doesnt inspire a huge amount of confidence, but none of the guys in there have done a huge amoint wrong recently bar bairstow, who's keeping.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Love my cricket, but god I'm feeling really flat about the Ashes currently. Don't necessarily think it will be completely one sided, but no Archer and potentially no Stokes in a series of this magnitude feels very meh

Maybe by the first week of December I'll have perked up!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love my cricket, but god I'm feeling really flat about the Ashes currently. Don't necessarily think it will be completely one sided, but no Archer and potentially no Stokes in a series of this magnitude feels very meh

Maybe by the first week of December I'll have perked up!
Stokes keeps finding reasons to not tour here.