• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah formula is pretty clear.

Current Aus wickets + no saliva on ball + weakened English attack = Head making runs

Spark

Global Moderator
maybe if you're playing late 2010's sri lanka then sure but against real teams an enormous no

in fairness no the english attack that will come out is likely to rival late 2010's sri lanka so i wouldn't be surprised if he cashes in on them lmao
I'll repeat my comment from a few weeks ago about the unrealistic-ness of expecting all of your top 6 to average 40+ consistently. If Head can be an okay downhill skiier who chips in consistently and turns platforms into big scores than that's good enough to bat 6 (but not 5). His main problem is actually that he doesn't cash in often enough (also he just looks horrible relative to his record)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll repeat my comment from a few weeks ago about the unrealistic-ness of expecting all of your top 6 to average 40+ consistently. If Head can be an okay downhill skiier who chips in consistently and turns platforms into big scores than that's good enough to bat 6 (but not 5). His main problem is actually that he doesn't cash in often enough (also he just looks horrible relative to his record)

That last point is what really irritates me about the anti-Head arguments. The argument that he "looks out of his depth" or somesuch is one that is based on aesthetics and not actual real world output. The problem of not going on with starts is a real one, something that needs to be adressed, but if he was really as useless as the TJBs of the world said then he wouldn't be getting starts in the first place

Gob

International Coach
That last point is what really irritates me about the anti-Head arguments. The argument that he "looks out of his depth" or somesuch is one that is based on aesthetics and not actual real world output. The problem of not going on with starts is a real one, something that needs to be adressed, but if he was really as useless as the TJBs of the world said then he wouldn't be getting starts in the first place
He doesn't even look out of his depths most of the time. Gets in plays couple of good looking shots and then throw it away slashing hard. He is like pre 07 Michael Clarke

TheJediBrah

It's not like he's looking great getting to 30 and throws it away though. He looks ****ing dreadful getting to 30 and when he gets out it seems like an inevitability.

Anyway he's got my backing for this summer despite everything. If Pucovski's not fit and Maxwell is clearly not in the frame. I've always backed Henriques but he was **** in the ODIs.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Maxwell ever truly was in the frame tbh

I hate it as much as anyone how he was treated by the selectors, especially around the time of the UAE tour, but doubt that Maxwell was ever seriously discussed as an option under the Langer regime

Gob

International Coach
I don't think Maxwell ever truly was in the frame tbh

I hate it as much as anyone how he was treated by the selectors, especially around the time of the UAE tour, but doubt that Maxwell was ever seriously discussed as an option under the Langer regime
I thought memeswell was a better batsmen than the alternatives fighting for the all rounder slot before Green but being a spin bowling all rounder meant that he was only considered when the go to the sub/UAE and not in Estraya cos finger spinners suck hard there

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's that he never moves his feet, meaning he constantly reaches for the ball, meaning he nicks off when he's set.

It's the technical issues with Head that make me annoyed with him. He certainly has the talent but talent without training is useless.

Spark

Global Moderator
Maxwell should have been a lock at 6 this whole time for the last three or four years. He fits the basic team structure that they want so obviously, especially with Green.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My Australian XI:

Khawaja
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Green
Head
Paine *+
Cummins
Starc/ Pattinson/ Neser
Lyon
Hazlewood

Khawaja can step in to captain when Paine retires/ is injured.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
From the chatter in this thread, and as a neutral fan, ifmt feels like we are gearing up for a horribly big standard Ashes. Assuage me please.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i do not disagree with your comment re unrealisticness but surely that's not a good enough reason to persist with him right? he does not turn platforms in to big scores against teams worth the price of admission tbh, and again, though i wouldn't be surprised if he artificially inflates his numbers against a ****house england attack in conditions confected to make them at their weakest, the numbers i posted in some other thread in a reply to a GAS post to me are incredibly subpar
he's useless if you look at real world output too though lol, after you do crosstabs to account for the team

Shady Slim

International Coach
Runs are runs. Scoring runs against **** attacks (and, more to the point, at FC level too) > not doing so.
scoring runs against **** attacks on your home pitches, then not doing anything of value against good attacks (even on your home pitches) surely not exactly the mark of a good bat

TheJediBrah

Runs are runs. Scoring runs against **** attacks (and, more to the point, at FC level too) > not doing so.
Obviously, but the idea is to look for someone that can score runs when it's not easy as well. Now if that doesn't exist, which could be the case (or at least not one the selectors are interested in), and I believe is what you're saying, then he's a reasonable choice. But it's not a bad selection to leave him out in the hope that a Pucovski, Henriques, Maxwell or whoever else proves better.

Spark

Global Moderator
scoring runs against **** attacks on your home pitches, then not doing anything of value against good attacks (even on your home pitches) surely not exactly the mark of a good bat
Yeah but you can't exactly pick "no one" in the spot. "He doesn't score runs against everybody" isn't enough to draw a black mark against him when his main competition has been Matthew Wade.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah but you can't exactly pick "no one" in the spot. "He doesn't score runs against everybody" isn't enough to draw a black mark against him when his main competition has been Matthew Wade.
moises is the man who should've had that spot last summer and should have it now - he is the future captain of the test squad after all tbh

and i don't put his form in the LO games in my mind when undergoing the selectoral process - if we are using the LO games to say no moises then strictly speaking the only logically consistent argument is advocating to recall mitchy mitch - and if a person wants to do that, they by all means can - just not my choice

Spark

Global Moderator
I just don't see how you can say Moises has to play over Head when they're just about even in direct comparisons of their FC record. It's not as if Moises has shown anything special at a higher level either.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I just don't see how you can say Moises has to play over Head when they're just about even in direct comparisons of their FC record. It's not as if Moises has shown anything special at a higher level either.
well moises has played four tests a million years ago while we know head is a proven failure here and now in the present tbh

but more than that, to me it's not "moises has to play over head". it's, head should not play, he's cheeks, who is the next best pick? moises. but if we start from the neutral position having declared the spot vacant, i would still give the nod to big mo

morgieb

Moises has had a number of opportunites before and has blown all of them. Isn't up to international cricket AFAIC.