• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A broad, Archer and stoneless England really doesn't scare me that much, even without Smith. If Warner is fit he's as good if not better than Smith in home conditions, and marnus is still there. Head has never failed to cash in against subpar attacks at home and green should be up to it aswell.
Warner’s damaged goods. I reckon if he hasn’t announced he’s retiring at the send of the summer he will be dropped.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Warner’s damaged goods. I reckon if he hasn’t announced he’s retiring at the send of the summer he will be dropped.
Damaged goods as in never going to be fully fit for long again or past his prime? He was beastly against nz and pak 2 summers ago, and even while still half fit he was fine for NSW in the shield and one day cup so can't really agree with the second option.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who do we have to replace him anyway? Pucovski (who I'd rather bat at 5, not that Langer would be that smart) is not a certainty with his various issues floating around and Khawaja is as old and apparently persona non grata. No one else comes to mind who hasn't already failed.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Who do we have to replace him anyway? Pucovski (who I'd rather bat at 5, not that Langer would be that smart) is not a certainty with his various issues floating around and Khawaja is as old and apparently persona non grata. No one else comes to mind who hasn't already failed.
Whiteman has been fairly solid over the past shield season and a bit. If he continues his hot streak for another season with WA i'm not opposed to giving him a run at the top of the order. Aside from him and maybe street are opening options are ****ing barren.

Burgey

He was beastly against nz and pak 2 summers ago, and even while still half fit he was fine for NSW in the shield and one day cup so can't really agree with the second option.
Life comes at you fast as a pro sportsman. His head and heart isn’t in it like it was any more imo. I think he’s toast.

Burgey

Bertus

TheJediBrah

Agree with Burgey. Not about Bertus obviously, but Warner is done. May have taken a couple years to catch up with him but sandpapergate has destroyed him

Burgey

The Pillow as a stop gap for a year or two at opener should happen, like a moderate downgrade on Chris Rogers. Would allow a bloke like Pucovski, assuming he doesn't brush his hair too hard and is ruled out, to come in at five or six to replace Wade or Green - the former straight away or when the latter inevitably fails with that front pad which is as big as WA itself.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah wade should be nowhere near the test team. Would rather a random renshaw recall in the middle order or harris over him at this point.

Spikey

The Pillow as a stop gap for a year or two at opener should happen, like a moderate downgrade on Chris Rogers. Would allow a bloke like Pucovski, assuming he doesn't brush his hair too hard and is ruled out, to come in at five or six to replace Wade or Green - the former straight away or when the latter inevitably fails with that front pad which is as big as WA itself.
wait what

Burgey

Only because the other options are so terrible. I mean, Khawaja is the living epitome of insipid mediocrity with a coat of varnished laziness, but he's clearly better than Harris, who is genuinely the worst Australian test batsman to get something of a decent go at a spot since Graeme Wood.

Pucovksi has played one test and tbh I don't believe the hype based on one dig - his technique doesn't quite look the business to me based on what (admittedly little) I've seen of him so far, and he literally gets concussed if he sneezes. So he's not a viable option in the medium to long term either.

morgieb

Mark Waugh also averaged 40 when Australian decks weren’t roads and scored runs away from home.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm honestly not Gambhiring here, but I really think the Ashes is more or less a free hit for Australia.

Wood's the only one of our bowlers who's capable of 140kmh with regularity who isn't currently broken, our batting has no top order and a tail that starts at five, and Stokes's head is still ****ed from losing his dad.

Root might haul us to a couple of semi-competitive scores, but at the time of writing I don't think he has any tons in Oz yet, so that's far from a given.