• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, not sure this is a great take in relation to this time round mate.
There's a reason I chose the term "reasons" and not "excuses". I wasn't attacking his character, just pointing out that he will be the most prolific Englishman in recent years to have barely played a test in Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's a reason I chose the term "reasons" and not "excuses". I wasn't attacking his character, just pointing out that he will be the most prolific Englishman in recent years to have barely played a test in Australia.
He played a few in 13-14 minutes though

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Remarkable WACA ton in only his second Test IIRC. Knew from then he would be special

and also good cricket

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Remarkable WACA ton in only his second Test IIRC. Knew from then he would be special
I didn't really appreciate that innings at the time. Partly because it was overshadowed by the complete unravelling of the team (& whole Flower regime) happening around him, partly because I was still pretty annoyed that Chris Woakes didn't get the allrounder spot for that tour.

But yeah, Stokes turned out to be pretty good.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stokes' absence doesn't do wonders for England's bowling balance. Increased risk of Moeen playing as 'spinner' 'who can bat' now.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean... it wouldn't be a good idea but it's not like we're stocked with alternatives at #5 right now (given that the actual best option is probably, in all honestly, an all-rounder who has played four Tests). Though I think it's honestly a much lower priority than figuring out who's going to open long term.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I mean... it wouldn't be a good idea but it's not like we're stocked with alternatives at #5 right now (given that the actual best option is probably, in all honestly, an all-rounder who has played four Tests). Though I think it's honestly a much lower priority than figuring out who's going to open long term.
that is the future australian captain you're talking about

TheJediBrah

Seen one article on Channel 9 / MSN advocating a Shaun Marsh recall. Suspect others to follow.
If it's to open the batting, fine. Wouldn't be the worst idea to forget trying to find Test openers (because that has been a miserable failure) and just use some good middle-order batsmen who can adapt. Essentially what they tried to do with Pucovski before he got gently bumped and had to take a year off.

morgieb

As much as I don't like going back to Darsh, it's a pretty dry well. I think I'd give Head another crack out of the options, but if he's the best 5/6 (other than Green) standing then you know you've got dodgy batting stocks.

Spark

Global Moderator
Head is a perfectly reasonable Test number 6 imo (5 might be a bit high). It's the openers that are the issue.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah a 3,4,5,6 of marnus, smith, green, head is more than passable in australian conditions. Issue is the fact that warner seems way past it and or other opener is a cardboard cutout.

Slightly different note, but anyone else a bit concerned about marnus's form? Had a fairly lean patch in the county stuff and he's struggling to find any runs at all in the QLD grade competition now. Not good signs at all. If he's shot and smith's elbow is still ****ing him up the ashes could be rough.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Head is a perfectly reasonable Test number 6 imo (5 might be a bit high). It's the openers that are the issue.
maybe if you're playing late 2010's sri lanka then sure but against real teams an enormous no

in fairness no the english attack that will come out is likely to rival late 2010's sri lanka so i wouldn't be surprised if he cashes in on them lmao