• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Travelling isn't the issue. It's the advantage of playing multiple games at the same venue.

Don't let that stop you from having another go at me though, precum.

hkjain

Cricket Spectator
Bangladesh get 4 at Mirpur, 2 at Chittagong.
Sri Lanka get 3 at Colombo.
Pakistan get 3 at Colombo and 2 at Kandy.
India have to roam the length and breadth of the country.

What's with the skewed venue allotment?

And, with all due respect to to Zimbabwe, what's with the waiting for 5 days after the opening game before we finally get to watch a proper non-minnow match ?
Hosting non important matches is only burden for India ( compliance too). Here at Ahmedabad we are going to have 4-5 matches but non of India.

You talked about Zimbabwe,

Feb 21, 2011 Australia vs Zimbabwe , 4th ODI Match Ahmedabad
Feb 28, 2011 Canada vs Zimbabwe , 13th ODI Match Nagpur

Waiting for 7 days. I think almost all countries are having same schedule with little difference.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
:laugh:

Yeah they get to play the knockouts also where they please. 8-)
What do the knockouts have to do with the schedule thats been published? If you're higher up your group, you'll face a lesser opponent in the quarterfinal. Playing multiple matches at the same venue more often than not offers you an advantage towards that end.

Sir Alex

Banned
What do the knockouts have to do with the schedule thats been published? If you're higher up your group, you'll face a lesser opponent in the quarterfinal. Playing multiple matches at the same venue more often than not offers you an advantage towards that end.
No more an advantage than getting to play 5 matches of 6 that you have in front of raucuous home crowds. And the 6th in Bangladesh against Bangaldesh.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Six weeks is way too long to my mind - the early ones were fitted into a fortnight - that might be a tad short but I believe three weeks is quite long enough

jashan83

U19 Captain
Perfect. They have done away with stupid Super six/eight crap. 6 group matches and knockouts from there. Awesome!
Yes Quarter finals surely make it very interesting. Much better than Super 6 or Super 8. Makes it yawn.

BTW why was the no of teams reduced from 16 to 14? Does anyone have any idea

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes Quarter finals surely make it very interesting. Much better than Super 6 or Super 8. Makes it yawn.

Probably to only let the good minnow teams in and not let in another Bermuda.

But Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands, Afghanistan, Scotland, Canada would be an acceptable 6 minnow teams IMO.

Though just having 4 of them should see some good quality games.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Probably to only let the good minnow teams in and not let in another Bermuda.

But Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands, Afghanistan, Scotland, Canada would be an acceptable 6 minnow teams IMO.

Though just having 4 of them should see some good quality games.
yes these 6 teams though would still have been minnows but should have been given a chance.
But 16 teams and last WC format was super crappy.

Bangladesh is just using 1 stadium at Mirpur, Dhaka for whole tournament with just one match at Chittagong. They are a test side but the no of stadiums in the country is too low. Sri Lanka much smaller in population has so many no of stadiums

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Group A
Team Pld W T L NR NRR Pts
Australia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Canada 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Kenya 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
New Zealand 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Pakistan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sri Lanka 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Zimbabwe 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
group b
Bangladesh 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
England 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
India 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Ireland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Netherlands 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
South Africa 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
West Indies 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Forgive me if the groups had been posted before -

Unless Zimbos can cause some upsets Group A looks like a doddle to be in and make the quarterfinals. I am high on NZs chances of getting through to the next round as for some reason we bring our A game against lesser countries. I think other countries get ****y against minnows. Our leadership group must do a good motivational job.

Group B looks like more of a scrap if Bangers can continue their growth in world cricket standings between now and the time of the tournament. Ireland could spring some surprises too if they can get some additions to their team in time.

I guess the advantages of the new format is that there is less chance of a minnow team causing one upset and then going through to the next round. In this tournament if India get upset by a minnow they have the chance to make up for it by beating one of the top teams.

Also if I was in charge I would play two matches every day - and then have a rest day every now and then that could be used in case of a rain out ocurring. Would get the whole tournament completed faster. Once I got to the quarterfinals then I would play 1 game per day. I guess it is due to TV coverage that they don't offer two games a day as I think they could make the schedule work for the players if they used the odd rest day.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Even if a minnow gets through to the next round, its knockouts so they'll likely be soundly beaten then.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Group A
Australia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Canada 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Kenya 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
New Zealand 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Pakistan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sri Lanka 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Zimbabwe 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
group b
Bangladesh 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
England 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
India 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Ireland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Netherlands 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
South Africa 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
West Indies 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Forgive me if the groups had been posted before -

Unless Zimbos can cause some upsets Group A looks like a doddle to be in and make the quarterfinals. I am high on NZs chances of getting through to the next round as for some reason we bring our A game against lesser countries. I think other countries get ****y against minnows. Our leadership group must do a good motivational job.

Group B looks like more of a scrap if Bangers can continue their growth in world cricket standings between now and the time of the tournament. Ireland could spring some surprises too if they can get some additions to their team in time.

I guess the advantages of the new format is that there is less chance of a minnow team causing one upset and then going through to the next round. In this tournament if India get upset by a minnow they have the chance to make up for it by beating one of the top teams.

Also if I was in charge I would play two matches every day - and then have a rest day every now and then that could be used in case of a rain out ocurring. Would get the whole tournament completed faster. Once I got to the quarterfinals then I would play 1 game per day. I guess it is due to TV coverage that they don't offer two games a day as I think they could make the schedule work for the players if they used the odd rest day.
Feb March are one of the driest months in India except one or 2 very unlikely showers in North India

asham87

Cricket Spectator

It was a very sad decision. It was just because of muscle of BCCI whi just want money money and money. They have been blinded by money. They will ultimately kill the gold egg laying goose.