• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to Euro 2024

Molehill

International Captain
The thing is it seems to be between Phillips, who can't get in his club team, and Henderson who is aging and not playing in a great league. personally I would happily go for Rico Lewis or James Ward-Prowse for those positions myself. It's probably early for Lewis, but he seems to be ranked higher for the best club side in the World by Pep than Phillips, so ya know..
JWP is an interesting call. As much as I have issues with the Pompey lad who played for them, his set piece delivery would add another attacking strength to this team. The role is almost demanding someone who can sit between Rice and Bellingham and be able to pick a pass. I mean that kind of sums him up. The one concern would be the defensive aspect of his game.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
JWP is an interesting call. As much as I have issues with the Pompey lad who played for them, his set piece delivery would add another attacking strength to this team. The role is almost demanding someone who can sit between Rice and Bellingham and be able to pick a pass. I mean that kind of sums him up. The one concern would be the defensive aspect of his game.
I think he's positional aware, if not anything like the ball winner that Rice is (well very few people are). So he's more likely to be in position to at least stymie counter-attacks. I am just reminded of the Ukraine game last month when there was such a lack of continuity in the middle of the park by playing both Rice and Henderson.

Howe_zat

Audio File
After losing to Greece again, Ireland are officially out of qualifying proper for the Euros. They can still make it in via playoffs, which are based on Nations League placings.

The odd bit is that if Greece qualify as second in group B ahead of the Netherlands, Netherlands will beat Ireland to a playoff place because they are in a higher Nations League spot. So the best thing for Ireland to do to get to Euro 2024 is actually to let Netherlands beat them by as much as possible to get them into 2nd place in the group, thus forcing the Netherlands out of the playoff spots and giving themselves a chance at making the playoffs instead.
Slovakia beating Iceland last night has now eliminated Ireland (since Iceland will qualify for a playoff spot ahead of them) so Ireland are sadly saved the possibility of eliminating themselves with a win over the Netherlands.

This concludes my interest in euro 2024 qualifying

Howe_zat

Audio File
Albania in pot 2 and no sign of Netherlands yet. Fun way to reward qualifying I guess.

England get Denmark, probably the strongest team in the pot.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Slovenia to play England about 4 months after I get back from there

Group E looking very cushy with Belgium, Romania and Slovakia.

Edit: Bloody hell, Italy in pot 4. Landmine.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Scotland copping a bit of a rough one with Switzerland from pot 4 but getting the opening game is kinda fun for them I guess. Will probably need to hope for 3 sides to get through from their group to play a knockout.

Wales are kippered. So are Albania who the dice gods decided had got too big for their boots in pot 2 and are punished regardless.

Group deadliness rankings

B > D > A > C > F >> E

Molehill

International Captain
Looking at the draw - definitely worth winning the group as you then wouldn't play another group winner until the semis. Last 16 against a 3rd placed team (maybe Slovakia/Czech Republic), could easily be a QF with Italy and a semi with France though.