• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to Euro 2024

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well that came around quickly. I’m very excited because I have tickets for the next two home qualifiers.

Anyway let’s see how Italy goes tonight.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The March International break is totally fine. Acts as a little break before the end of season really gets going.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good result last night, even if the performance was very Southgate-against-decent-teamsesque.

We just invite too much pressure if we score early. No coincidence that some of our better performances against tier one nations (Germany in Euro 20/21 and France last year come to mind) have been in games when we didn't get an early goal. We very much needed that second.

Speaking of which, kudos to 'Arry too. Somehow continues to be vaguely underrated despite our press generally hyping English players to the heavens and then sticking the boot in when it inevitably goes to shyte.

Think that's our first ever competitive win in Italy, but may be wrong.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good result last night, even if the performance was very Southgate-against-decent-teamsesque.

We just invite too much pressure if we score early. No coincidence that some of our better performances against tier one nations (Germany in Euro 20/21 and France last year come to mind) have been in games when we didn't get an early goal. We very much needed that second.

Speaking of which, kudos to 'Arry too. Somehow continues to be vaguely underrated despite our press generally hyping English players to the heavens and then sticking the boot in when it inevitably goes to shyte.

Think that's our first ever competitive win in Italy, but may be wrong.
I don’t agree. We didn’t invite pressure after the goal and should have been out of sight at half time. They came back at us second half, which is when the mistakes started.

Despite a pretty uncomfortable second half in all, after the goal there was not really for me any ‘oh ****’ moment and we held out pretty comfortably.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Does that include Italia beating us in the 3rd place play off in 1990? 'Cos, y'know "competitive"? Not so much.
I think it must do. I remember the 2-0 defeat in the 1977 WC qualifier, the 1-0 loss in the 1980 euros and the 0-0 draw in 1997 WC qualifier. Beyond those, I'm struggling.

The class of 1948 would point out that they won 4-0 over there in the days before England deigned to enter WCs. And Italy had won the previous two tournaments, albeit both a while ago. Officially a friendly, but it probably didn't feel like it. One of England's ATG performances.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t agree. We didn’t invite pressure after the goal and should have been out of sight at half time. They came back at us second half, which is when the mistakes started.

Despite a pretty uncomfortable second half in all, after the goal there was not really for me any ‘oh ****’ moment and we held out pretty comfortably.
That's how I saw it too. Phillips appeared to run out of steam given his lack of game time for City, which meant we were being out-numbered in midfield. Southgate does need to develop some of the alternatives to the midfield for situations when the usual blokes aren't available (Mount and Henderson both injured this time?). I've no idea who they might be, given that Foden's role seems to be further forward. Speaking of whom, surely he plays instead of Grealish tomorrow. But going back to your point, I don't remember Italy creating a decent chance after their one goal, and even after the red card.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's how I saw it too. Phillips appeared to run out of steam given his lack of game time for City, which meant we were being out-numbered in midfield. Southgate does need to develop some of the alternatives to the midfield for situations when the usual blokes aren't available (Mount and Henderson both injured this time?). I've no idea who they might be, given that Foden's role seems to be further forward. Speaking of whom, surely he plays instead of Grealish tomorrow. But going back to your point, I don't remember Italy creating a decent chance after their one goal, and even after the red card.
Henderson was on the bench, but I think I’d read he wasn’t fully recovered from illness.

RE Grealish whenever I’ve watched City post-WC he’s been outperforming Foden. Thought he had a great first half aside from the miss. But might as well switch them round. We’ve got so much talent in those positions. Sterling has been Southgate’s man but is conceivably fifth choice now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Henderson was on the bench, but I think I’d read he wasn’t fully recovered from illness.

RE Grealish whenever I’ve watched City post-WC he’s been outperforming Foden. Thought he had a great first half aside from the miss. But might as well switch them round. We’ve got so much talent in those positions. Sterling has been Southgate’s man but is conceivably fifth choice now.
Now I'll have fun working out who are the four guys ahead of Sterling in the pecking order for the left of the front three role. Ah, you included Rashford, didn't you. As well as the two who played on Thursday. Can't argue with that. Out of interest, who's the 4th one? As for Grealish/Foden, the latter's superior finishing means I'd pick him every time. And that's not just because of the former's ridiculous miss against Italy. Looking ahead, assuming Foden develops as much as he should, then only picking one out him and Rashford seems a waste. Maybe Rashford will eventually replace Kane down the middle. Or maybe Foden will develop into a slightly deeper role.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just counted them all for both positions rather than right/left, which is lazy but yeah. Saka the pick of them all for me at the minute.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I just counted them all for both positions rather than right/left, which is lazy but yeah. Saka the pick of them all for me at the minute.
He's a wonderful footballer. And still very young, of course. The other one who seems to be coming back into contention is Sancho.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it must do. I remember the 2-0 defeat in the 1977 WC qualifier, the 1-0 loss in the 1980 euros and the 0-0 draw in 1997 WC qualifier. Beyond those, I'm struggling.

The class of 1948 would point out that they won 4-0 over there in the days before England deigned to enter WCs. And Italy had won the previous two tournaments, albeit both a while ago. Officially a friendly, but it probably didn't feel like it. One of England's ATG performances.
I think "competitive" must stretch to include last year's (maybe 2021?) 1-0 Nations League loss too then as that'll make the 5.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think "competitive" must stretch to include last year's (maybe 2021?) 1-0 Nations League loss too then as that'll make the 5.
Of course. I wondered about the Nations League but had already forgotten about the most recent round of matches. Now you've reminded me, it was a great Italy goal in that match, but I don't think the scorer was playing this week? Please don't ask me for his name.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Italy being sponsored by Adidas is just wrong, looked like a Greece kit.

re the midfield, surely we can bend the rules to allow McTominay to switch allegiance and play for England?