• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Dean Jones, passes away aged 59

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vale.

Played one of the greatest innings ever and it's definitely become part of cricket folklore.

My first thought was "I didn't even know he was ill", but it's clear he wasn't, or at least it was asymptomatic.

It's no ****ing age, is it? Lost my old man suddenly to his heart when he was 51, so deepest sympathies to his wife and daughters.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is ****ed. First professional cricketer I ever met as a kid. This one will take a bit to sink in.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Geez that's a shock, 59 is very young. RIP Dean.

By rights we should be listening to him commentate cricket matches and complaining ruefully about him telling the same story for the 200th time, like normal, rather than talking about his funeral.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow, I'm gutted.

RIP Deano. I always thought he was dropped too soon when I was a kid. Fantastic player and a batting hero growing up.

Ugh, how are cricketers from my childhood dying already :'(

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Rest well. One of my earliest cricketing memories, too.

Incidentally, why was he dropped from the Test set-up? Not like Australia had then developed the batting riches they would post-95.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rest well. One of my earliest cricketing memories, too.

Incidentally, why was he dropped from the Test set-up? Not like Australia had then developed the batting riches they would post-95.

It was a controversial dropping. I think the reasoning was that he only performed in dead rubbers but the crowds loved him and chanted We want Deano at a few matches after he was dropped

RossLWinter

Cricket Spectator
This was one of the best commentators I knew. It is a pity that the world has lost such a talented person. But I'm glad we were able to enjoy his work while playing.