• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Dean Jones, passes away aged 59

Spark

Global Moderator
Shocking news.

Former Australia batsman Dean Jones has died on Thursday after a heart attack in Mumbai. He was 59. Jones, who was is in India as a commentator for the IPL, is understood to have suffered a massive heart attack around noon IST.

"It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Mr. Dean Mervyn Jones AM," Star India, who Jones was a commentator for, confirmed through a statement. "He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time. We are in touch with the Australian High Commission to make the necessary arrangements.

"Dean Jones was one of the great ambassadors of the game associating himself with Cricket development across South Asia. He was passionate about discovering new talent and nurturing young Cricketers. He was a champion commentator whose presence and presentation of the game always brought joy to millions of fans. He will be sorely missed by everyone at Star and his millions of fans across the globe."

As usual, keep this thread clean.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Generally came across as a pleasant guy, and was nice enough to give me an autograph a few years ago despite looking a bit busy. And a genuine all time great of the ODI game and way ahead of his time. RIP.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Omg, 59 for anyone, never mind a sportsman is way too young.

Dean Jones was one of my all-time best batsmen I loved to see play. RiP

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
What the.... Did not see this coming. Totally shocked and totally unexpected! He's way too young.

RIP.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sad. He was the fearsome no. 3 batsman in the earliest series in my memory (1991 India down under)

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
What a shock.

Australia's best ODI batsman from the mid-80s till early 90s. A masterful batsman in that format who was ahead of the curve in terms of running between the wickets. I think he was the first person to field in sunglasses during an international match.

Also a very good Test bat, as illustrated by the fact there hasn't been a Victorian with as good a record since.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bloody hell.

can’t believe it. Probably the first Aussie player whose career went into my own adulthood to pass away of natural causes. Pretty shook by it tbh

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:( RIP. He was there giving expert analysis yesterday for the game. Life can change so drastically and unexpectedly. A great of the ODI format and all round good cricketer and I think good commentator and a good coach. IIRC he was coaching one of the PSL si des.

Flem274*

123/5
Wow, that's so young. A real shame to lose a classy player, a prominent character in australian cricket folklore and a massive fan of the game. RIP