• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Dean Jones, passes away aged 59

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a tragic news. A legend of the game and a noted pioneer of one-day cricket. Will always be remembered for his ATG innings in the tied test and from his off-field endeavours, always seemed like a chill bloke. Far too young.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bloody hell.

can’t believe it. Probably the first Aussie player whose career went into my own adulthood to pass away of natural causes. Pretty shook by it tbh
ditto, same here

Red

Might not be understood by younger people how innovative Deano was in limited overs cricket. The game could still be pretty stodgy in the 80s and Deano really ramped things up with techniques like aggressive running between the wickets that forced fielders to be better or make mistakes, and his own personal fielding in the outer. He took the game from a canter to a gallop.

He was one of those guys who encapsulated 80s Australia too, bright, optimistic, irreverent and a bit silly. ODI cricket was still novel, watching cricket under lights on balmy nights, people weren't as jaded and cynical as they are now. As a kid, i'd sit on the lounge room floor or at the MCG, waiting for Boon or Marsh to get out in an ODI just so Deano could come in and light it up.

Deano was a big part of summer for me as a kid. Long may his memory bask in the sun.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rest well. One of my earliest cricketing memories, too.

Incidentally, why was he dropped from the Test set-up? Not like Australia had then developed the batting riches they would post-95.
It was perceived he wasn't well equipped vs quality pace bowling, and the Windies were coming at a time when Aus were on the verge of beating them. He was 12th man for the first test in Brisbane that series and never played again.

I saw an interview where he said he'd have swapped everything he ever did in ODI cricket to have played even one more test.

Have to say there have been some great tributes for him from past and current players. Obviously very highly thought of among the fraternity.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Might not be understood by younger people how innovative Deano was in limited overs cricket. The game could still be pretty stodgy in the 80s and Deano really ramped things up with techniques like aggressive running between the wickets that forced fielders to be better or make mistakes, and his own personal fielding in the outer. He took the game from a canter to a gallop.

He was one of those guys who encapsulated 80s Australia too, bright, optimistic, irreverent and a bit silly. ODI cricket was still novel, watching cricket under lights on balmy nights, people weren't as jaded and cynical as they are now. As a kid, i'd sit on the lounge room floor or at the MCG, waiting for Boon or Marsh to get out in an ODI just so Deano could come in and light it up.

Deano was a big part of summer for me as a kid. Long may his memory bask in the sun.
Yeah this is how I remember him too. A true innovator. An athlete ahead of his time in the game. RIP.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My favourite Aussie batsman, together with Gilchrist.

If he was as patient as Sachin, we would have been calling Sachin, "The second Dean Jones"

Red

My favourite Aussie batsman, together with Gilchrist.

If he was as patient as Sachin, we would have been calling Sachin, "The second Dean Jones"
This is a weird take in a tribute thread. "He wasn't as good as Sachin, but if he had of been he would have been".

Red

He highlighted one of Jones’ flaws and said if he didn’t have that flaw he’d have been as good as Sachin. I get what he said. He said if he’d been better, he’d be as good as Sachin.

Tom Flint

International Regular
He highlighted one of Jones’ flaws and said if he didn’t have that flaw he’d have been as good as Sachin. I get what he said. He said if he’d been better, he’d be as good as Sachin.
Sounds more like you are looking for an arguement. Which is a strange thing to do in a tribute page.
Maybe just get back to sending condolences to one of the games legends.

the big bambino

International Captain
Think Migara's post was ok. Not that I agree though. Jones was a fine player but he fell short of Sachin in a number of areas.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Struck by Darren Berry's tribute about how they'd talked on the phone for a couple of hours just recently and had made amends after falling out in the mid-90s (there were factions everywhere in Vic cricket in the 90s). It's sad that Merv Hughes and Jones had a fallout and were never on friendly terms again (as evidenced by a recent Hughes interview he did).