• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rachin -The Kiwi wonderkid

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Kane and Rachin both seem quite laid back grounded individuals, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Don’t seem to put a lot of pressure on themselves, and have the ability to block out outside noise. I can imagine a lot of the kids with super driven parents are weighed down by the crazy expectation, especially if they don’t love the game themselves.
I think you've nailed it. From my experience unless the kid wants it no matter how hard you try you can't get much out of them. To be honest, parenting is not an easy task. If you don't you're damned if you do you're damned. Didn't know Kane's dad coached him. You barely ever hear about Kane's family. He's done quite well on that front, keeps it real private.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I think you've nailed it. From my experience unless the kid wants it no matter how hard you try you can't get much out of them. To be honest, parenting is not an easy task. If you don't you're damned if you do you're damned. Didn't know Kane's dad coached him. You barely ever hear about Kane's family. He's done quite well on that front, keeps it real private.
Was Kane's dad like Rachin's dad? It would strike me as odd given that Kane has a twin brother. You'd think that if he was gonna sports dad he kids, he would have gotten them both in to it.

nzfan

Was Kane's dad like Rachin's dad? It would strike me as odd given that Kane has a twin brother. You'd think that if he was gonna sports dad he kids, he would have gotten them both in to it.
I'm not sure if Kane's dad coached him. I know at some point in time Ben Williams did in Tauranga. Prior to that he had another very good coach, his name escapes me but a very well known coach in BOP. His dad did play cricket from what I know. He used to be a club cricketer likely and therein the influence. I think most of the best sportsmen are coached by a nobody. You don't often see legends able to coach their own kids.

One lesser known fact is Kane is a keen follower of Buddhism values. Shows in his demeanor clearly. I don't know much about Buddhism but generally thought to be a passive religion that's about meditation and being spiritual.

Ravindra's dad has a massive reputation in Welly though. He coaches lots of players including first class players from what I know. He is behind a a massive cricket shop that helps lots of cricketers in NZ with sponsorships etc Also set up a cricket club in Wellington. Besides he's a very highly qualified coach and has coaching certificate required to coach an international side. I don't know about his playing experience locally but cricinfo listed international Indian cricketers connection so must have rich playing experience. Pretty full on cricket CV you'd think. Listening to the BBC stumped podcast looks like he's still helping Ravindra. Would be handy to have someone like that coaching and it shows.

Last edited:

nzfan

I had high hopes of Joel Harden, wicket keeper batsman from Nelson. Another very highly rated kid those days. For some reason he just didn't kick on. His dad Richard Harden is a legend in England cricket. He has like 30+ 100s in county cricket. Tough as nails and very vocal during games. This didn't help looks like. More and more I see the background of the popular sportsmen there's usually dad behind them. Those that had mediocre sporting dad seem to make the cut mostly.

Last edited:

nzfan

I don't think Kane is buddhist...
Well he's a christian but have heard from more than one he follows buddhism values. Following some of those values doesn't make him a proper buddhist but maybe he just follows some of its teachings.

nzfan

Ben Sears mentioned above is Mike Sears former firebirds son. Again a very highly rated individual and a bit of a local legend. Truly awesome bloke. He wasn't mediocre by any measure. Did pretty well for firebirds. Must have had a major influence with his kid's cricket. Like I said above doesn't get as much media coverage Ben Sears. Has serious numbers as a bowler. Hopefully next one from Wellington to play for black caps for a long time if he can keep fit.

The Hutt Rec

Ben Sears mentioned above is Mike Sears former firebirds son. Again a very highly rated individual and a bit of a local legend. Truly awesome bloke. He wasn't mediocre by any measure. Did pretty well for firebirds. Must have had a major influence with his kid's cricket. Like I said above doesn't get as much media coverage Ben Sears. Has serious numbers as a bowler. Hopefully next one from Wellington to play for black caps for a long time if he can keep fit.
Michael Sears was a quality bowler … I’m astonished he played so few games for Wellington, because he certainly made an impact in them. It was less games per season in those days though, I think.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Michael Sears was a quality bowler … I’m astonished he played so few games for Wellington, because he certainly made an impact in them. It was less games per season in those days though, I think.
I am sure I have already mentioned this a couple of times here, but Mike Sears was my club captain back in my playing days. Top bloke as well as being a high quality player. He was a real club man, and really supportive of all the players - including this crappy one. I can’t imagine him being overbearing on the sidelines. In fact, I can imagine him clapping and quietly saying “nice shot” every time a player hit his son’s bowling for four.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh please don't get into that discussion here. An Aussie addiction to facetiousness + bravery signalling + midwit lawyer IQ = very cringy, very stale-witted content in the direction of Christians, we know this.

When CW tries to signal their progressive bona fides by making the wounded little Tori Amos characters into their mods, one can only be vaguely disappointed in that stuff, rather than too surprised.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Kane's dad managed to really stress the development of back-foot play, but it was very much a combined effort with the coach David Johnson. Kane's father simply got the tip from a 2005 newspaper article, looking into why NZ's batting was such a constant uphill battle.

It's a bit of a common theme within Tauranga people to be keen students of that type of process (taking something like an apple variety and lifting it up to the 'big hit in Asian markets' level), via their port being such a city focal point.

Williamson is acknowledged as one of those rare finds in New Zealand cricket, a teenager as comfortable on the back foot as the front.

It was something that dad drummed into son after reading a 2005 newspaper article that lamented the lack of New Zealand players who were able to both defend and score runs off the back foot.

It struck a chord with Williamson senior, an age-group coach.

"With our slow pitches we tend to get our kids to lunge forward, but that technique is no good when playing in other countries.

"I used to get tennis balls and just fire it at the boys until it became second nature for them to play back to short bowling."

When Kane Williamson started at Tauranga Boys' College in 2004 he was already marked down as a potential international batsman. His prodigious run scoring at primary and intermediate level made him the boy all the cricket coaches at the school wanted to see bat.

In 2002, aged 12, he led Bay of Plenty Coastlands to the ND under-14 title in Gisborne, scoring an unprecedented 420 runs in four innings. A year later he captained Otumoetai Intermediate's First XI to win their first national Milo Cup final and again scored more than 400 runs in the tournament.

So the slightly built, impeccably mannered 13-year-old had expectations on him as great as Bert Sutcliffe and Martin Crowe ever faced arriving at secondary school. And it took Williamson little time to show his abundant class. New boys start in the Third XI at Tauranga Boys' and so did Williamson under the watchful gaze of master in charge of cricket Rob Leslie and coaches Neil Howard, Grant Marshall and Roger McBrydie.

"Our Third XI played in the local schools First XI comp and they do to this day," said Howard. "We put him in that team to start with and he got 93 and the senior boys said "who's this kid?" He played in the First XI at the start of Year 10 when we won the Super 8 for the first time and he batted at number three in that team aged 14. In October of that year he plays for Bay of Plenty and gets 60 on his senior debut. He debuted for Northern Districts as a sixth former. A lot of people asked about that and I am of the opinion if you are good enough, you are old enough. He was so mature. That was the difference."

Williamson arrived at Tauranga Boys' with a watertight technique not much different from what you see today playing for the Black Caps. The challenge for the school was to let him progress at his own pace without pushing him too hard.

"We didn't try and change him. His father Brett and [Bay of Plenty Cricket coach] David Johnson did a fantastic job with him," said Howard. "They coached him at an age when he was impressionable. He obviously had a love for it and he kept finding the hunger to do more and more and more. As a school kid he is easily the best back-foot player that we have ever had the privilege of seeing. Most kids can't even remotely do it. His example showed the other guys there was a way it could be done and it was not about swinging from the hip. He always hit gaps."

Williamson was also a multi-talented sportsman of the highest order. He was a high achiever in soccer, rugby, volleyball and basketball. He was a point guard of rare skill and played in the senior A basketball team in Year 10, winning a colour (the school's highest sporting honour) in basketball that year.

In some respects Williamson was fortunate at Tauranga Boys' to have a role model and trail blazer through the grades ahead of him in Daniel Flynn. The former Black Cap and record holder of most first class centuries for Northern Districts was a precocious player himself at school.

Howard says he made Williamson's transition that little bit easier.

"Flynny scored 100 for the Bay against Northland as a 6th former which is a great effort and Flynny wasn't a big man either. So this idea of Kane going through the ranks, we had seen with Flynny that it could work and they were good enough."

Williamson quickly blossomed as a batsman and leader in his early teenage years. He scored runs at will against all attacks he faced and his hunger for making big scores was obvious. Whether it was a young seam bowler his own age bowling for King's College called Tim Southee or facing a rapid young quick from Cadets called Trent Boult or any number of snarly old veterans in club cricket trying to talk him out, nothing fazed him. He had the same approach, same pre-ball routine, same humble reaction to personal triumphs and that desire to get back in the nets after an innings whether he made a rare failure or 100.

Nothing's changed since then to today. Following his blazing 112 off 88 balls against Pakistan in Napier earlier this month Williamson went back to the nets to practice because he said he had not faced enough balls for his own mental preparation for the Cricket World Cup.

Two of his more remarkable club innings were 181 against Greerton in a one-day game and 133 not out against Te Puke aged 15. Howard remembers the Te Puke knock fondly.

"They got 170 and we got the total six wickets down against a good attack. So Kane was 133 not out and the rest of the team scored 37-6."

Rob Leslie has seen plenty of good cricketers come and go at Tauranga Boys' since he started teaching there in the late 1970s. Williamson is clearly the best of the lot but Leslie says he was also a natural leader who ended up as head boy in his final year.

"It is not just that innate cricket talent but the broader picture stuff. He was always a guy who would lead from the front and was never terribly demonstrative in stuff that he did," Leslie said. "He had clear ideas about what he wanted to do but it was never something he was pushing too much on others. He was strong academically in the class room. He was an archetypical all round good guy really.

"Since making the Black Caps he has been strong all along but the thing that is different now is just getting that bit more consistency in those performances. I really don't think I expected anything else than what we are seeing at the moment."

Working hard outside compulsory training sessions is a common trait among all sporting champions. Williamson's work ethic is hard to beat. He lived and breathed cricket at school and lifted standards around him.

Howard believes he is doing the same thing now with the Black Caps as he did as First XI captain.

"In Year 11 in 2006 he really started to blossom. There were eight guys who played for the Bay in that team and they all got better because of him and his work ethic. It was completely a one-off. The only other person I taught who worked like him was Tanerau Latimer. [Kane] may be the most naturally gifted player we have worked with here but it is his work ethic that makes the difference.

"He is almost at that stage in the New Zealand team like it was in the First XI. He has some guys around him who are good players but he is the linchpin and maybe his experience of having done a lot of that is helping.

"The whole school was the better for him being here. We challenge the boys to leave the school as a better place and he did that."

Last edited:

nzfan

That is very smart by Kane's dad... The first thing that struck me when Kane was playing domestic cricket still was his ability to take good length balls and hit them through off side. For not so tall guy he gets on top of his toes and times it beautifully. Damien Martyn was amazing at this, Tendulkar and Dravid used to play these shots too. Kane barely has any deficiency at all. He can play full or short, pace or spin... besides nothing seems to faze him. The only time I've seen him show some emotion was in SL test series after the world cup when he didn't get much in couple of innings or three. I remember vividly Kane getting two ducks he played Sri Lanka in the first two games. Although he didn't trouble the scorers you knew for sure this guy is going to be a future legend.

Michael Vaughan at best is an attention seeking pot stirrer but I agree with him when he said recently to Spark Sport Kane would have been hailed better if he was an Indian. To put it rightly, I'd like to think he would have been celebrated better if he was an Indian player which is a compliment to Indian cricketing followers. They know how to treat their heroes like demi gods. Not something that is common in NZ and probably would have been cringed at if he had a following such as that.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
KW is rightly regarded as the second-best Test batsman after Smith (perhaps tied with Kohli but couldn't care less if you boot Kohli down to 3). And you're right: you wouldn't want to cringe the way we do when our compatriots fill their pants with the Sachin is the god of cricket nonsense.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
you wouldn't want to cringe the way we do when our compatriots fill their pants with the Sachin is the god of cricket nonsense.
Who else do you speak of when you say that royal ''we''?

Since this is Rachin thread, got to say his dad was firmly in the Sachin=God camp. As am I.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That is very smart by Kane's dad... The first thing that struck me when Kane was playing domestic cricket still was his ability to take good length balls and hit them through off side. For not so tall guy he gets on top of his toes and times it beautifully. Damien Martyn was amazing at this, Tendulkar and Dravid used to play these shots too. Kane barely has any deficiency at all. He can play full or short, pace or spin... besides nothing seems to faze him. The only time I've seen him show some emotion was in SL test series after the world cup when he didn't get much in couple of innings or three. I remember vividly Kane getting two ducks he played Sri Lanka in the first two games. Although he didn't trouble the scorers you knew for sure this guy is going to be a future legend.

Michael Vaughan at best is an attention seeking pot stirrer but I agree with him when he said recently to Spark Sport Kane would have been hailed better if he was an Indian. To put it rightly, I'd like to think he would have been celebrated better if he was an Indian player which is a compliment to Indian cricketing followers. They know how to treat their heroes like demi gods. Not something that is common in NZ and probably would have been cringed at if he had a following such as that.
I'm not sure that's true at all in the last paragraph. Well yeah, he'd be hailed more in India, but bugger being a demi-god of Indian cricket status and not being able to go anywhere. Kane is absolutely adored in this country, but yet if he was in a cafe at the Mount people would say g'day to him, we love watching you play and let him be. I think that's ideal. I think we appreciate how incredible he is.