• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rachin -The Kiwi wonderkid

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Where are the young videos of Rachin? Would love to see it. It's like one in a million chance a kid will make it as a professional. Too much exposure too early is not good. This is quite rampant in US. Baseball, basketball prodigies all around but most don't make it. And the football prodigies in Europe. Wonder how many really made it. Only couple of days ago saw another kid smashing it with a stick in a make shift net at home. Unbelievable skills. Surprisingly there was a comment the kid couldn't afford a bat and was looking for a sponsorship. Come on now seriously if you have enough to set up a net at home surely you got 30 dollars to buy a kashmir willow. The kid is only really smashing a plastic ball. Posting video is all right but wrong priority wanting a sponsor for a 6 year old.

Can't be bothered reading from all the way back but can certainly confirm Rachin's talent was quite obvious. I've seen him since he probably was 9 or 10. Lovely kid and a great role model for younger kids in Wellington.

Last edited:

nzfan

What happened to this kid

This kid was sensational. The video is from 2012. I'm guessing the kid must now be like 18 or 20?

And this kid

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Where are the young videos of Rachin? Would love to see it. It's like one in a million chance a kid will make it as a professional. Too much exposure too early is not good. This is quite rampant in US. Baseball, basketball prodigies all around but most don't make it. And the football prodigies in Europe. Wonder how many really made it. Only couple of days ago saw another kid smashing it with a stick in a make shift net at home. Unbelievable skills. Surprisingly there was a comment the kid couldn't afford a bat and was looking for a sponsorship. Come on now seriously if you have enough to set up a net at home surely you got 30 dollars to buy a kashmir willow. The kid is only really smashing a plastic ball. Posting video is all right but wrong priority wanting a sponsor for a 6 year old.

Can't be bothered reading from all the way back but can certainly confirm Rachin's talent was quite obvious. I've seen him since he probably was 9 or 10. Lovely kid and a great role model for younger kids in Wellington.
His old man took them down a while ago.

nzfan

That video is a deepfake.
Which one the last one I posted? That kid is crazy good. Amazing balance. Still buying a lottery and winning is a lot easier than good talented very young kids go on to make the national sides. Too many variables involved.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Which one the last one I posted? That kid is crazy good. Amazing balance. Still buying a lottery and winning is a lot easier than good talented very young kids go on to make the national sides. Too many variables involved.
Nah lotto is probably lower odds. 1 in a million vs 1 in 50000 sorta thing.

The Hutt Rec

It's a shame those videos were taken down, I remember watching them ... might have been not long before they disappeared. Would be great to look back on now ... maybe now Rachin has made it, it wouldn't put any pressure on him either (I'm guessing that's why they were removed).

Flem274*

123/5
it's a funny one. parents embodying overly intense dad trope are rightly ridiculed because they usually break their kids who can never live up to their parents extreme expectations, but both ravindra and williamson's fathers coached them for test cricket from a very early age. kumar sangakkara and one of the indian dads are overseas examples.

i wonder if their fathers' did something differently, or if the kids were just survivors with natures more suited to dealing with fruit loop parents. im quite a bit older than my sibling and i've seen more than enough broken teenagers for my liking.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a shame those videos were taken down, I remember watching them ... might have been not long before they disappeared. Would be great to look back on now ... maybe now Rachin has made it, it wouldn't put any pressure on him either (I'm guessing that's why they were removed).
Oh I have a November 2007 one somewhere, but cbf.

Craft beer depressive Wellington Neil Miller/Joseph Romanos types are really turning 'I heart Rachin' into something I resent. A 17 ave. in NZ's Super Smash isn't really that precocious or stupendous. Still very young, but hitting 38 in the Shield (vs. Conway's 65+, or Ronchi's 55+) is also just Bharat Popli stuff for now.

nzfan

I don't know now good he was in the video you guys talk about. Obviously must have been reasonably good if you are still talking about it but let's be honest at 6 there's not much you can actually read. Balance, bat grip, foot work will be absent, they'll be dragging the bat around mostly but they'll have reasonable eye hand. Pretty uncomplicated you'd think at that age.

I vividly remember seeing Ravindra at the nets at Hutt Rec many years ago. My son was in the under 15 side, yeah there was provincial under 15 sides those days if you can believe it. U15s used to play 3 day matches, like 5 of them each season against other provinces. The coach of the under 15 side Ivan Tissera now the Blaze coach got this left handed young kid (maybe then aged anywhere between 8 and 10 I'd think) to bat against the under 15 bowlers. Henry Walsh (went on to play NZ U19s and firebirds) was the captain of the U15 side then. Raki Weerasundara was probably the biggest name those days. Although under 15 most kids were probably 6 footers. This left handed young kid Ravindra couldn't have been taller than 4 and half feet. The next half hour he pulled out an array of shots and the kids were all in awe so were some of the parents. I can't be sure but it may have been Grant Elliot or Matthew Bell that was also at the nets asking Ivan if that kid was that Sachin and not Rachin :laugh:There were lot of under 15 kids that walked out in admiration but also some parents grumbling why their kid has to bowl to some unknown under 9 kid including yours truly.

I guess sometimes love for our kids overtakes genuine love for cricket.

I'm always super intrigued how some kids go on to get better and better while some just fall away despite being equally good. Point in case is Henry Walsh, Rake Weerasundara etc... These two were super stars too and probably held as much attention like Ravindra did. They also went on to play NZ U19s but couldn't cut at the next level. I'm not a huge believer of this talent word. There's no way some are blessed physically than the next guy. I suppose it's the mental make up of the kid and how much he wants it. I wish Kane wrote a book focusing only on his growing years between say 7 and 19. That'll help a lot of us parents and kids that are super keen on wanting to be a professional sportsman.

nzfan

Oh I have a November 2007 one somewhere, but cbf.

Craft beer depressive Wellington Neil Miller/Joseph Romanos types are really turning 'I heart Rachin' into something I resent. A 17 ave. in NZ's Super Smash isn't really that precocious or stupendous. Still very young, but hitting 38 in the Shield (vs. Conway's 65+, or Ronchi's 55+) is also just Bharat Popli stuff for now.
I get what you say as for numbers but I think he's going to be a beast with the bat. I have seen some cricket in my life and this guy is different. Takes a lot of courage, ability and maturity between ears to open batting in NZ. If he wasn't good he wouldn't make the squad particularly now given our stock. Our selection process is not that dud and I back them.

Of the current generation I think Ben Sears comes close or is better than Ravindra for sheer ability. Comparing apples to oranges here but there are few batters that are equally as good as Ravindra of similar age for eg. Phillips, Allen but there are not a lot of bowlers that can claim to bowl at near 150 k as an early 20s kid. Hoping the next pick from the younger bunch is Ben Sears. Can't wait for the day he opens bowling for NZ in favorable conditions. He doesn't get much media just because he's a bowler.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
With the batting stocks that the Kiwis usually have, if the lad keeps up the good work then I expect him to get in the team by 2014 and then to score 1000+ each year so expect this post digging to take place by 2019-2020:p
And with that, it is confirmed that @Xuhaib is Nostradamus. :)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
it's a funny one. parents embodying overly intense dad trope are rightly ridiculed because they usually break their kids who can never live up to their parents extreme expectations, but both ravindra and williamson's fathers coached them for test cricket from a very early age. kumar sangakkara and one of the indian dads are overseas examples.

i wonder if their fathers' did something differently, or if the kids were just survivors with natures more suited to dealing with fruit loop parents. im quite a bit older than my sibling and i've seen more than enough broken teenagers for my liking.
no it's just survivorship bias

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Sports dads are absolute psychos, I'm pretty glad my dad just dropped me off then told me to get a lift back home after the game from the coach or whoever.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He doesn't get much media just because he's a bowler.
Oh the media usually can't get enough of a 150kph man, in normal circumstances. It's probably because Sears is (well, boringly Caucasian and male) and also slightly awkwardly high in intelligence, fairly socially clumsy. Anything he says would come out as an excessively spicy and quirky take.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sports dads are absolute psychos, I'm pretty glad my dad just dropped me off then told me to get a lift back home after the game from the coach or whoever.
Yup.

I'm very glad i was never good enough to have warranted any of that type of attention from my dad (not that i think he would have been like that but still).

The Hutt Rec

Kane and Rachin both seem quite laid back grounded individuals, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Don’t seem to put a lot of pressure on themselves, and have the ability to block out outside noise. I can imagine a lot of the kids with super driven parents are weighed down by the crazy expectation, especially if they don’t love the game themselves.