• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarterfinal Scenarios

smash84

The Tiger King
If Pakistan manage to beat Australia, that will change everything. A win will take them to the top of the group, whereas a loss will push them to four. It's amazing how much difference one result can make.
true. One match is all it takes.

While you are at it, why not declare the WC winner and finish the suspense.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I thought there was an announcement a while back that the hosts will play all knock-out games in their home venues?

Haha.
that's what I had heard.

I really don't want an India and Pakistan Quarter Final. I prefer if they play each other in the final, which would be epic (going by the t20 world cup). Whenever these two teams play each other, the pressure, the atmosphere and the commitment is immense. I might just have a heart attack if it goes to the last ball.
Yeah man. That would be too much to bear.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Australia vs Wset Indies or Ireland
Pakistan vs India
New Zealand vs England
South Africa vs Sri Lanka

Days of Grace

International Captain
All I know is that I don`t want NZ facing India in the quarter-final. Anyone else will do, preferably a hobbled England.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't want an India and Pakistan Quarter Final. I prefer if they play each other in the final, which would be epic (going by the t20 world cup). Whenever these two teams play each other, the pressure, the atmosphere and the commitment is immense. I might just have a heart attack if it goes to the last ball.
This.

I actually want some other team to beat Pakistan in knock out stages and that India don't have to meet them at all. It's no fun sitting through an India-Pak match when stakes are high. It's really hard on nerves.

smash84

The Tiger King
For some reason that T20 loss was not that heartbreaking. The fact was that Pak were down and out before Misbah played such a gem of an innings. It was really a super effort to bring it so close to the final score otherwise Pakistan had long since lost the match.

Also T20 for some reason just does not inspire the kind of passion that 50 over format does IMO.

The most heartbreaking losses to me were the 96 WC QF and an independence cup final held in Dhaka in 1998. India chased 314 under some terrible lights. That was really heartbreaking for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha yea, some matchups are so stressful and good you almost don't want to put yourself through it emotionally. And I hate ODIs, but that would get even me nervous.

smash84

The Tiger King
This.

I actually want some other team to beat Pakistan in knock out stages and that India don't have to meet them at all. It's no fun sitting through an India-Pak match when stakes are high. It's really hard on nerves.
haha.....True....half the time you are sitting in front of the TV with your heart in your mouth. It used to be so good when Wasim was around. There was a feeling that he could get most of the Indian batsmen :)..........Wasim WAG........

Although I haven't been too keen on us meeting India since the departure of the 2Ws. Our bowling attack is just not the same quality and India's batting is overwhelming.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
haha.....True....half the time you are sitting in front of the TV with your heart in your mouth. It used to be so good when Wasim was around. There was a feeling that he could get most of the Indian batsmen :)..........Wasim WAG........

Although I haven't been too keen on us meeting India since the departure of the 2Ws. Our bowling attack is just not the same quality and India's batting is overwhelming.
It doesn't matter dude.....We can never predict outcome of an India - Pakistan match

Blaze 18

Banned
Hmmm, potentially. But then everyone will be sitting on one loss - except one of NZ/SL who will have two. We've got an excellent NRR (helped a lot by the non-counting of the SL match admittedly) and we're yet to play the two minnows' minnows.

I mean, I can see Pakistan beating us, but I don't see us getting absolutely mercilessly flogged which is probably what will need to happen if we're to finish 3rd.
Yeah there's little chance of Australia finishing third. They'll finish either first or second, that much is certain. It all comes down to the Pakistan match. Win and they top the group; lose and they move to number two.

Blaze 18

Banned

The good thing from India's point of view is that Shoaib Malik and Salman Butt are not playing. :D

biased indian

International Coach
Group A

1) Australia
2) Sri Lanka
3) Pakistan
4) New Zealand

Group B

1) India
2) South Africa
3) West Indies
4) England