• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possible restrictions on bats being looked at

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All runs that are not scored off an edge should be discounted imo.

In fact, any shot that does not result in an edge should result in the batsman being given out.
What if I use a bat that has no edge like a baseball bat? /loko

Riggins

International Captain
In rugby when the ball is down, play is stopped as the event is complete.

In cricket, at that point the player doesn't have control of the ball so the event isn't complete.
Lots of sports the ball can remain in play even though the player is out of bounds.

I still think for cricket it's stupid though.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Just minimize runs that can be scored off an edge to 2. If you didn't get the ball where you intended it to go, you don't get the four or the six. Would be awesome.
If you are doing that, just go the baseball route and remove all runs scored from edges.

Of course you can't do that in cricket, for a variety of reasons. Nah, scoring from edges I can deal with, but when mis-hits and edges travel the distance (and its not like only Gayle or whoever is capable of doing this) its safe to say cricket has a problem.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Another law I'd advocate is the banning of left-handers. Whilst I'm actually all for shooting them at birth, at the very least we can be like hockey and make everyone play the same way around.

This is great therapy for a grumpy old bowler

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Second.

Although I would advocate less shooting them at birth and more a genetic test. Bullets are expensive.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No one begrudges an AB de Villiers, who plays some superb shots," he said. "Him, Brendon McCullum, Kumar Sangakkara, they are exceptionally talented and no one minds if they hit some great shots which go for six. But where some batsmen are mis-hitting balls and it is just carrying over the rope and going for a six instead of being caught at the boundary, that is what some cricket people believe has become unfair.
So if someone who everyone likes whacks them, then it's OK...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If someone middles it and launches it 10 rows back then fine, it batsmen getting beaten in flight and getting nowhere near it but hacking it over a boundary 60m away that annoys me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If someone middles it and launches it 10 rows back then fine, it batsmen getting beaten in flight and getting nowhere near it but hacking it over a boundary 60m away that annoys me.
Which is where mandatory boundary size would come in.

I do think mis hits have gone for six well before the 2000s...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Afridi hitting that 6 off Ashwin to win against India in the 2014 Asia Cup is a good example of this.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
As long as the bats don't get reduced too much. One of the best things in Cricket is seeing Shami get bopped over long off for six.

Flem274*

123/5
Or do whatever we want to the ball, save peeling the whole damn skin off. Bring on the Murray mints, Vaseline or as one current England player used in his time as an overseas player in NZ, sandpaper disguised as a bandaid.
this has to be finn, anderson or bopara and they've just gone up considerably in my estimations

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be honest, forget the sixes, it's more the possibility of a bowler being seriously injured by the batsman that I'm more worried about.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The bigger bats get, the harder they are to swing making it more difficult to adjust to moving deliveries late. Just spice up the balls to make using a massive bat have a meaningful trade-off.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The bigger bats get, the harder they are to swing making it more difficult to adjust to moving deliveries late. Just spice up the balls to make using a massive bat have a meaningful trade-off.
But are they harder to swing? I thought part of the bigger bat phenomenon was that they are less compressed making them fatter, springier but not heavier?

Eg back in the day G Turner, C Cairns, L Cairns, Klusener and mid-90s Tendulkar all used a heavy bat. But that's it, they were heavy, and the batsmen has to be strong enough / good enough to make that compromise.

Now every one can use a big but light bat with little to no compromise.

BTW, are these less compressed bats more likely to break? How about a rule that a batsman can't replace his bat during an innings? Would make them less willing to push that particular boundary.

Also remember McMillan mentioning in commentary once about changing a bat to one with a lower sweet spot if a pitch is lower and slower than first assessed. Or changing to a meatier bat for the slog or power play overs. A bowler can't replace a ball whenever they want ......