• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's future in jeopardy???

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Been having nightmares about how Katich might fare in England next year - really depends on which English bowlers play.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not uncommon with wrists/ ankles for the hardware inserted in surgery to begin to irritate the joint, which may be the case here. Usually they can fix it.

Certainly hope they can in this case.

If he's out, I'd run with Rogers at the top with Hayden, Katich to number 3. Minimal disruption to the rest of the order.
Absolutely my thoughts as well. If Punter had to sit on the sidelines for a while (or retire), that'd be our best option.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If a body part that's essential for batting doesn't work properly - terminally or temporarily - it doesn't matter how much you want it. You can't get runs without having the physical power to do so.

If Ponting is to keep playing for much longer, it seems this problem is going to have to be sorted. You'd hope he'd have the sense to make short-term sacrifice for long-term gain.
remember Lara playing for almost 2 years with a chipped bone in his wrist.. He started off great with THAT series against Australia in 1999 but his performances over the next two years showed that he should NOT have played.

But in his case, I remember his doctor telling on air that his injury was not going to heal by resting.. He had to play and put away some of his shots like the booming drive and the cut and the pull till it got back to normal which could be anytime between 6 months or 3 years. I think it was on an old edition of Sportscenter India.

Hope this doesn't affect him much. Already it seems once he takes the painkillers, he is able to bat normally but then again, too many pain killers cause other effects and he could screw up his wrist again by batting too much or something. Hope he recovers to full fitness soon.

DingDong

State Captain
You are all wrong. This is the perfect time to ease ponting out of the team and get Watson to bat at 3. He can also be groomed to take over the captaincy. In the mean time Hussey can captain the side.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been having nightmares about how Katich might fare in England next year - really depends on which English bowlers play.
To be honest, I don't see Kat as having as much trouble with the moving ball nor England to get the same degree of movement. Seems to be a far more assured player. I've been a fan ever since I saw him belt 80-odd against South Australia in a OD match many years ago, has always looked the goods but lacking in confidence.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If a body part that's essential for batting doesn't work properly - terminally or temporarily - it doesn't matter how much you want it. You can't get runs without having the physical power to do so.

If Ponting is to keep playing for much longer, it seems this problem is going to have to be sorted. You'd hope he'd have the sense to make short-term sacrifice for long-term gain.

You can get help for that nowadays. Over here we have massive billboards advertising a solution where you spray something up your nose.

jondavluc

State Regular
If Ponting has to miss some cricket I would say the best time would be during the one day series against South Africa and New Zealand and put Micheal Clarke in charge for those games.

Precambrian

Banned
remember Lara playing for almost 2 years with a chipped bone in his wrist.. He started off great with THAT series against Australia in 1999 but his performances over the next two years showed that he should NOT have played.

But in his case, I remember his doctor telling on air that his injury was not going to heal by resting.. He had to play and put away some of his shots like the booming drive and the cut and the pull till it got back to normal which could be anytime between 6 months or 3 years. I think it was on an old edition of Sportscenter India.

Hope this doesn't affect him much. Already it seems once he takes the painkillers, he is able to bat normally but then again, too many pain killers cause other effects and he could screw up his wrist again by batting too much or something. Hope he recovers to full fitness soon.
Tendulkar also had to completely alter his game following the tennis elbow + ankle + shoulder problems which started post 1999. He had to reduce the bat weight drastically (had probably the heaviest bat till then) and some shots like the dance down the ground and thwack, the lofted pull, etc.

Ponting will have to adapt and change his game. The worst affected would be his trademark pull, and of one notice his play in this year, that shot has been curbed, and whenever he tried that shot, he couldnt transfer full power or timing on that, which led to his dismissals.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WAIT A MINUTE!

I thought you meant there was no limit o the number of middle-order batsmen SA are prepared to manufacture into openers to ensure that the opener AB De Villiers remains batting n the middle orer:blink:
Completely true in the cases of both players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tendulkar also had to completely alter his game following the tennis elbow + ankle + shoulder problems which started post 1999. He had to reduce the bat weight drastically (had probably the heaviest bat till then) and some shots like the dance down the ground and thwack, the lofted pull, etc.

Ponting will have to adapt and change his game. The worst affected would be his trademark pull, and of one notice his play in this year, that shot has been curbed, and whenever he tried that shot, he couldnt transfer full power or timing on that, which led to his dismissals.
yeah... I guess he will just have to play for a bit without some shots but in my time of watching I have seen guys like Lara, Steve Waugh and Sachin all do it with reasonable success. I am sure Ponting can do the same.. It is what seperates the "greats" from the "very good", for me... :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ponting has come out and confirmed the story is complete bulldust from his point of view. He's getting some soreness during the recovery process, but has yet to miss a training session or come close to considering missing a match. All the haters will just have to go back to waiting... :p

Precambrian

Banned
Ponting has come out and confirmed the story is complete bulldust from his point of view. He's getting some soreness during the recovery process, but has yet to miss a training session or come close to considering missing a match. All the haters will just have to go back to waiting... :p
:tick: :tock: :tick: :tock:

Precambrian

Banned
So all is clear? Good, keep scoring them runs Ricky.
Yeah time he did it. Since start of 2007, Ricky's stats are tricky:

1142 runs @ 43.9 from 16 tests. If one removes WI, the average falls to 40.95 from 13 tests.

And the last 2 series, he averages 36.60 from 6 tests (366 runs)

ODIs - Since Jan 08, 278 from 13 ODIs @ 22.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah time he did it. Since start of 2007, Ricky's stats are tricky:

1142 runs @ 43.9 from 16 tests. If one removes WI, the average falls to 40.95 from 13 tests.

And the last 2 series, he averages 36.60 from 6 tests (366 runs)

ODIs - Since Jan 08, 278 from 13 ODIs @ 22.
If he bats against SA the way he batted in Adelaide, runs won't be a problem. Aside from his dismissal, that knock was flawless.