• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's future in jeopardy???

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Rogers opening with Katich at 3 wouldn't be too bad, expect for 4 lefties in the top 4!
Why? Left handers have fared better than right handers of late.

Alternatively, Katich to keep opening, Markis Norf to bat at 3.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very much doubt Ponting would take 8-10 weeks at such a crucial period. Although there isn't much time between the S.A. tour and the Ashes.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rogers opening with Katich at 3 wouldn't be too bad, expect for 4 lefties in the top 4!
No different to having 3 right handers in the top 4. Obviously except that they are right handers not left handers, but you get what I mean.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why? Left handers have fared better than right handers of late.

Alternatively, Katich to keep opening, Markis Norf to bat at 3.
I rate North, but I wouldn't want him making his Test debut at 3 in the order. He's more of a 5 or 6 if he were to play a Test.

I don't completely agree that lefties have performed better recently.. For Australia the man of the series just gone was RH Michael Clarke..

It would be interesting to see LH batsmen career averages in the top 6 vs RH batsmen career averages for all Test playing nations currently [can exclude Banga's if you like].

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR there's a considerable increase in run-scoring percentage for LHBs compared to RHBs. Obviously that doesn't mean you should look to select LHBs just because they're LHBs - but it does mean that it's a good idea to try to train a 7-year-old to bat left-handed rather than right.

The batsman has to have the skill, but if he does, he's got a better chance of making use of it batting left- than right-handed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unless that shot is medically dangerous, a patient has the right to tell the doctor to go **** off. You can't force a surgery on someone, and if they don't want surgery, unless it's medically dangerous, you have to give them painkillers for the pain.
Yeah I realise you can't force surgery on a patient, but you can say that painkillers are not going to be given any more.

I presume that what's now considered dangerous hasn't yet been exceeded. I just wonder if in time such a consideration will be toned down and stuff which has been laissez-faired for the last 20 years might end-up being considered actually rather unwise.

NZTailender

I rate North, but I wouldn't want him making his Test debut at 3 in the order. He's more of a 5 or 6 if he were to play a Test.

I don't completely agree that lefties have performed better recently.. For Australia the man of the series just gone was RH Michael Clarke..

It would be interesting to see LH batsmen career averages in the top 6 vs RH batsmen career averages for all Test playing nations currently [can exclude Banga's if you like].
Right handers: 10 years, 5 years, 2 years, this year.

Left handers: 10 years, 5 years, 2 years, this year.

10 year aggregate: Right Left
5 year: Right Left
2 year: Right Left
This year: Right Left

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I doubt he would miss a test, due to the fact that he wants to play Test Cricket, esp. with such a big series coming up.

NZTailender

IIRR there's a considerable increase in run-scoring percentage for LHBs compared to RHBs. Obviously that doesn't mean you should look to select LHBs just because they're LHBs - but it does mean that it's a good idea to try to train a 7-year-old to bat left-handed rather than right.

The batsman has to have the skill, but if he does, he's got a better chance of making use of it batting left- than right-handed.
Yeah, agree that you shouldn't pick a batsman based on his handedness - but also, you shouldn't not pick someone based on which hand they bat with. The best should be selected and if that results in a LH top four so be it.

Although I guess the debate is whether or not North deserves to be at 3. Probably not but I rate him. Other options are obviously Hodge, Dave Hussey or even, dare I say, Watto.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Right handers: 10 years, 5 years, 2 years, this year.

Left handers: 10 years, 5 years, 2 years, this year.

10 year aggregate: Right Left
5 year: Right Left
2 year: Right Left
This year: Right Left
That's interesting, I think the problem for RH's is that the players from the weaker batting lineups are predominately right handed.

The stats do show that RH are more dominate in 6 hitting and SR, plus have a highest score in the last year.

Thanks for the stats.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, agree that you shouldn't pick a batsman based on his handedness - but also, you shouldn't not pick someone based on which hand they bat with. The best should be selected and if that results in a LH top four so be it.

Although I guess the debate is whether or not North deserves to be at 3. Probably not but I rate him. Other options are obviously Hodge, Dave Hussey or even, dare I say, Watto.
Yeah fair point re: That the hand someone bats with shouldn't really matter, I just put an exclamation point earlier, cause I doubt that an Australian top 4 has ever been all Left Handed.

I would hate to see either Dave Hussey or Watson in the top 3 in Test Cricket.

Hayden, Katich, Ponting, Rogers, Jaques [when fit], Hodge and M.Hussey would be the only players I would consider currently.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
As I've said many times, it's clear that Australia will put no limit on the number of middle-order batsmen they are prepared to manufacture into openers to ensure that the opener Hussey remains batting in the middle-order.
WAIT A MINUTE!

I thought you meant there was no limit o the number of middle-order batsmen SA are prepared to manufacture into openers to ensure that the opener AB De Villiers remains batting n the middle orer:blink:

NZTailender

Yeah fair point re: That the hand someone bats with shouldn't really matter, I just put an exclamation point earlier, cause I doubt that an Australian top 4 has ever been all Left Handed.

I would hate to see either Dave Hussey or Watson in the top 3 in Test Cricket.

Hayden, Katich, Ponting, Rogers, Jaques [when fit], Hodge and M.Hussey would be the only players I would consider currently.
Hughes to open, Katich 3 (c) [/bias]

Top_Cat

I strongly suspect the Aussies may move Michael Clarke to bat at 3 in the unlikely event Ponting has to miss some game time. He's headed there anyway so I'd think they'll look at it as just being ahead of schedule.

And before anyone mentions Clarke's play outside off stump, just remember exactly the same concerns were raised about Ponting, many players saying he didn't have the right game style to bat at 3. He got over it, no reason why Clarke can't. In terms of style and temperament, I reckon he's just about the ideal number 3. He looks like the proverbial cat on a hot tin roof sometimes but, again, so did Ponting.

Burgey

It's not uncommon with wrists/ ankles for the hardware inserted in surgery to begin to irritate the joint, which may be the case here. Usually they can fix it.

Certainly hope they can in this case.

If he's out, I'd run with Rogers at the top with Hayden, Katich to number 3. Minimal disruption to the rest of the order.

NZTailender

If he's out, I'd run with Rogers at the top with Hayden, Katich to number 3. Minimal disruption to the rest of the order.
Yeah, I'd actually like to see this above all. Couple of years back in the face of Langer and Hayden retiring soon enough that Jaques-Rogers would be the logical opening partnership to succeed them, for a small while at least.

Rogers is quite an underrated batsman for mine, and IIRC got some unfair criticism in his only Test.

Funnily enough, Hussey, Jaques and Rogers all have one thing in common - they all made similar scores in their very first innings and second innings on debut.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Funnily enough, Hussey, Jaques and Rogers all have one thing in common - they all made similar scores in their very first innings and second innings on debut.
Yeah for sure. Rogers did look overawed on debut, but I guess that is normal. He took a ripper of a catch on debut. I'm happy for him that he's playing well for the Vics, great to see him in OD matches too.

When we go to England next year, it's going to be a real dog fight for the last couple of batting positions.