• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's future in jeopardy???

Precambrian

Banned
If he bats against SA the way he batted in Adelaide, runs won't be a problem. Aside from his dismissal, that knock was flawless.
Yip. Although it was against much weaker opposition on a belter. His ODI record this year is baffling though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah time he did it. Since start of 2007, Ricky's stats are tricky:

1142 runs @ 43.9 from 16 tests. If one removes WI, the average falls to 40.95 from 13 tests.

And the last 2 series, he averages 36.60 from 6 tests (366 runs)

ODIs - Since Jan 08, 278 from 13 ODIs @ 22.
Ha, don't be doing a Richard on us now..

jondavluc

State Regular
Its funny how ricky is considered out of form and still averages 40.:laugh: lots of other teams like New zealand would still kill for a batsmen who averages 40 .

krkode

State Captain
Its funny how ricky is considered out of form and still averages 40.:laugh: lots of other teams like New zealand would still kill for a batsmen who averages 40 .
Yeah. :\

Both India and Australia have/had 3 batsmen who average over 50 and 3 who average over 40. Nobody from NZ is even close to 40. :(

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I love how he removes West Indies for really no good reason. Take out his hundreds and he'll probably average <30!!! Drop him now!

jondavluc

State Regular
I love how he removes West Indies for really no good reason. Take out his hundreds and he'll probably average <30!!! Drop him now!
They need it less than New Zealand aleast they have a couple batsmen who average in the 40's.I didn't say bangladesh ethier would you like to point that out too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
They need it less than New Zealand aleast they have a couple batsmen who average in the 40's.I didn't say bangladesh ethier would you like to point that out too.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say? I was referring to Precambrian when I said 'he' in my previous post.

readie

State Regular
Even though Ponting is apparently sweet, if he wasn't this is the lineup I would want to see tbh.

Hayden
Katich
Clarke
Hussey
North / Hussey
Symonds/Watson
Haddin
Bowlers.....

Hodge at 3 in a straight swap would be good as well tbph

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even though Ponting is apparently sweet, if he wasn't this is the lineup I would want to see tbh.

Hayden
Katich
Clarke
Hussey
North / Hussey
Symonds/Watson
Haddin
Bowlers.....

Hodge at 3 in a straight swap would be good as well tbph
Hussey >>> North.
Hodge would be a decent selection too, as would Marsh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ha, don't be doing a Richard on us now..
Deary me.

Anyway it should be obvious to anyone that Ponting since the Fourth Test 2006/07 hasn't been the force he was previously. Whether the decline is terminal or permanent only time will tell, but I'd say the latter is more likely.

Clearly he's still one of the best batsmen in Australia and no-one is suggesting he should be replaced by anyone, but I think Australian and Ponting fans should regard the idea of him doing what he did 2001-2003 (ie, average 70) again as a bonus rather than an expectation. There's no way anyone can be confident it won't happen, but he's not getting any younger and it's much less likely than more.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Deary me.

Anyway it should be obvious to anyone that Ponting since the Fourth Test 2006/07 hasn't been the force he was previously. Whether the decline is terminal or perminant only time will tell, but I'd say the latter is more likely.

Clearly he's still one of the best batsmen in Australia and no-one is suggesting he should be replaced by anyone, but I think Australian and Ponting fans should regard the idea of him doing what he did 2001-2003 (ie, average 70) again as a bonus rather than an expectation. There's no way anyone can be confident it won't happen, but he's not getting any younger and it's much less likely than more.
No way he's going to average 70 for a year from now on. He did that when he was in his peak.

BTW its permanent [/pedantic]

Here's Punters average movement at a glance. What a constant rise and then finally a peak and slowly started the slide. Legend.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Actually, from that data, you can't tell if this slide is any bigger than the one he had, for example, from his 73-85 Test. Now obviously age and other considerations can come into play, but from that chart, the slide isn't so big that you can't see a recovery.

Precambrian

Banned
Actually, from that data, you can't tell if this slide is any bigger than the one he had, for example, from his 73-85 Test. Now obviously age and other considerations can come into play, but from that chart, the slide isn't so big that you can't see a recovery.
However that slide and the subsequent rise was so immediate, this one looks the gentle sloping down.

For just comparison, Tendulkar's, note how gentle but irreversible slope is.