• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's future in jeopardy???

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wishful thinking methinks, Precambrian. :happy:

In all seriousness, I don't think Ponting is going to keep averaging in the mid 40s as he has been doing recently. He'll get right up there soon. SA series will be interesting.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If there's anything the stock markets have taught me, its that a W shaped event leads to a bear run :p I can see that in Ponting's case test #49 onwards, but Tendulkar seems to be defying a perfect W pattern ending at #121.

Precambrian

Banned
Wishful thinking methinks, Precambrian. :happy:

In all seriousness, I don't think Ponting is going to keep averaging in the mid 40s as he has been doing recently. He'll get right up there soon. SA series will be interesting.
Hopefully, a resurgent Ponting will push Tendulkar to be around longer :happy:

Precambrian

Banned
If there's anything the stock markets have taught me, its that a W shaped event leads to a bear run :p I can see that in Ponting's case test #49 onwards, but Tendulkar seems to be defying a perfect W pattern ending at #121.
Didnt Tendulkar have a bear run recently in Sri Lanka?

Precambrian

Banned

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nah, I'm talking from the pov of the possessor of the stocks. An uptrend following the event benefits him and the market.

EDIT: Ah, wait, I see my mistake. I've mixed up the terminology. Bull run indeed. These cashews are making me thirsty!!

Precambrian

Banned
Nah, I'm talking from the pov of the possessor of the stocks. An uptrend following the event benefits him and the market.

EDIT: Ah, wait, I see my mistake. I've mixed up the terminology. Bull run indeed. These cashews are making me thirsty!!
No issues.

Tyrannosaurus Rex of them, Sir Don. GI Joe, your "W" theory works like a charm here

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No issues.

Tyrannosaurus Rex of them, Sir Don. GI Joe, your "W" theory works like a charm here

It is, of course, highly debatable if such theories can be scientifically applied to batting averages. For one, these charts plot cumulative averages against time as opposed to plain momentary averages as would seem the case with stock. However it could also be argued that the value of a stock at any given moment in time is in fact the cumulative value of the trust it has gained over time alongwith elements of present day factors. Secondly, the market dynamics of buying and selling, which drive the steep upward and downward trends, are absent here. This could be explained this way - the batsman suddenly discovers a facet of his game, certain techniques that drive his average through the roof in a very short span of time, leading to the steep upwards curve of the W. It doesn't last long though, the bowlers figure out these changes quickly and push him back down. The batsman is resilient though, he tinkers with the same principles, discards the parts that have been countered, revises and refines the core and comes back with another upward curve. He is successful this time, and the bowlers now cannot prevent the batsman from maintaining a good run as a consequence of his now finely honed skills.

Or I may have just wasted five minutes of our time :p

Precambrian

Banned
It is, of course, highly debatable if such theories can be scientifically applied to batting averages. For one, these charts plot cumulative averages against time as opposed to plain momentary averages as would seem the case with stock. However it could also be argued that the value of a stock at any given moment in time is in fact the cumulative value of the trust it has gained over time alongwith elements of present day factors. Secondly, the market dynamics of buying and selling, which drive the steep upward and downward trends, are absent here. This could be explained this way - the batsman suddenly discovers a facet of his game, certain techniques that drive his average through the roof in a very short span of time, leading to the steep upwards curve of the W. It doesn't last long though, the bowlers figure out these changes quickly and push him back down. The batsman is resilient though, he tinkers with the same principles, discards the parts that have been countered, revises and refines the core and comes back with another upward curve. He is successful this time, and the bowlers now cannot prevent the batsman from maintaining a good run as a consequence of his now finely honed skills.

Or I may have just wasted five minutes of our time :p
Not more than anytime on CW. Actually I am into stocks a bit. Was interested when you quoted the theory.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ultra consistent S Waugh

Vs
The brilliant freak Lara
Waugh's is interesting actually, in that I really thought his last couple of years it was fairly obvious he was in decline, but the graph doesn't eally semm to bare that out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waugh's is interesting actually, in that I really thought his last couple of years it was fairly obvious he was in decline, but the graph doesn't eally semm to bare that out.
I dunno, once he switched from G&M to MRF, he became a hitting machine. Remember that 88 off 50-odd balls he hit against WA in the MM final just before he retired? He may have had hamstrings of tin-foil and his back was largely held together with tape and staples by the end but geez, he was hitting the ball harder than he ever did. His 80-odd in his final Test was a gem. On form, could probably have kept going for another season or two. I never saw him hit as many 6's as he did in his last couple of years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bangladesh disguise the issue.

Against Test-standard sides Stephen Waugh's last 2 years (2001/02-2003/04) produced an average of just 38. And this was essentially after a poor 2001/02, moderate 2002/03 and pretty decent once again 2003/04 (though that consisted of just 1 series against a Test-class team).