• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player closest to being selected in both ATXI ( Test and ODI)

Choose the closest option

• Total voters

Himannv

International Coach
Not sure about Sachin in the test team. Bradman is a lock at 3 and Sobers is a lock at 6 , while Smith must be very strongly considered for 4/5. That leaves Tendulkar up against Headley, Hammond, G Pollock, G Chappell, V Richards, Lara, Kallis, and Sangakkara for a spot.
Was shaping up to be a great serious post until you trolled us with the last name in the list. Good one!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are 6 batting slots and 3 fast bowling ones. McGrath is, at worst, top 5. Tendulkar would have to be in anyone's top 10. McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee, Steyn, Ambrose stand out among their peers as per CW consensus but it's only logical there are more standout elite batsmen. What I'm saying is the best non Bradman batsmen are bunched together at the top because there are just more batsmen in general.
realistically though there's only 2 available slots as Bradman and Sobers are a lock as are Hutton and Hobbs. So Sachin is competing with the other 6 in that top 10 you mention. To be fair to Sachin though for the number 4 spot he doesn't have too much competition. But I think more so than McGrath does as its only really Marshall CW holds above him when it we really get down to the nitty gritty(though McGrath's record is nearly perfect so personally they're on the same level for me)

the more I think about it the more I think its pretty even between Sachin and McGrath. But I still think I'd choose Smith over Sachin due to that monstrous average, which less face it won't be coming down to under 58 with the amount of tests he'l get to play before its curtains on his career, even with a late career slump

Slifer

International Captain
Sachin
McGrath
Viv
Gilchrist

In that order. Went with Sachin. I usually pick him in both teams.

Himannv

International Coach
for a sri lankan you really don't like Sanga that much! what gives?
I wrote something more lengthy some time back but I've got no idea where. The short form is that I think he's an overrated hack and a prick.

Me being Sri Lankan doesn't have much to do with it. I mean, do all Australians like David Warner?

Gob

International Coach
I think greater percentage of cricket community picks Warne over Murali for tests and Dhoni over Gilchrist for ODIs. Wasim is equally preferred for both out side CW. McGrath could make both or not make both without raising eyebrows so it's down to Tendulkar and Richards. Probably say Tendulkar ever so slightly although ended up voting for Viv

stephen

Murali is competing with Warne in tests and both Warne and Saqlain in ODIs.

Tendulkar is a lock in ODIs but has to fight for a spot in the test side behind a middle order of Bradman, Smith and Sobers. This means he's fighting for the number 5 batting position with Lara/ Headley/ Hammond and perhaps a few others. Given he never batted 5 and showed inflexibility in what he was willing to do, it's hard to put him in the side.

McGrath is the greatest ODI bowler and second best test quick. He's clearly the pick in this poll for me. Takes the new ball in both sides.

stephen

Funnily enough, Wasim makes both of my sides too, but his case is less compelling than McGrath's.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Murali. ODI lock and one of only 2 spinners competing for the test team, as well as being the clear GOAT test bowler. Everyone else has a lot more competition for one or both teams.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I wrote something more lengthy some time back but I've got no idea where. The short form is that I think he's an overrated hack and a prick.

Me being Sri Lankan doesn't have much to do with it. I mean, do all Australians like David Warner?
Interesting. He's probably my favourite non-NZ player. Sanga that is, not Davey.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach

i think that he's an overrated hack and a prick tbh

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali is the obvious one. Lock for ODIs for obvious reasons and in Tests his competitor is usually out with a broken fingernail.