• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player closest to being selected in both ATXI ( Test and ODI)

Choose the closest option

• Total voters

sunilz

International Regular
McGrath is the greatest ODI bowler and second best test quick. He's clearly the pick in this poll for me. Takes the new ball in both sides.
Didn't you pick Garner as no.1 ODI bowler last week ? So , what happened in last few days to change your opinion ?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I'm probably saying McGrath. Think it's easier to find two Test middle order bats (if you already give the side Bradman + Sobers) that rival Tendulkar than 3 Test quicks who rival McGrath.
Rival, yes, but *arguably* none that are decidedly better than him. On the other hand there is no one even rivalling him as an ODI opener so you're leaving out the GOAT ODI opener to fit in someone in tests who is just as good?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sachin, Lara, Hadlee and Akram.

AT Test 11
Sunny - Hutton
Don, Sachin, Lara
Sobers, Gilly, Procter, Hadlee
Akram, Murali

AT ODI 11
Sachin - Lara
Viv, Kohli, AB
Dhoni, Kapil, Hadlee
Akram, Saqlain, Garner

Viv - ODIs only
Murali and Gilly - Tests only
McGrath - None

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Considering the two aren’t related, whats the issue with that?
But they are related if you only have to pick one player in a Test AND ODI XI…?

My point is that there’s no one definitely better than him apart from Bradman in tests

But he’s an ODI GOAT opener and no one else is even half as close to being as good as an opener.

Hence he’s closest to making both teams…

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
1.Sachin - GOAT ODI Opener + Strongest case for number 4 in tests.

2.Akram - Strongest case for 1st pick pacer in ODIs + Left arm variety ensures a spot in most expert Test 11s.

3.Murali - Almost a Lock in ODIs ( Saqlain being underrated ) + Equal to Warne in tests.

4.Viv - Lock in ODIs + victim of Bradman brutality in tests

5.Gilly - Almost a lock in Tests + a good opener (+WK) case in ODIs

6. Hadlee, Lara, Imran, Lillee, McGrath - why not? In both formats.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Would Dhoni make it to both ODI and T20?
He's a good captain but an average batsman in T20s, I am gonna say no. I do place a fair bit of premium on International T20s instead of leagues for that assessment though.

Kohli easily has the best case by that metric, ABDV wasn't much chop in international T20s.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't you pick Garner as no.1 ODI bowler last week ? So , what happened in last few days to change your opinion ?
I do oscillate between Garner and McGrath in ODIs. My pecking order in tests is Marshall then McGrath then the rest.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been thinking a bit more about my test XI and I'm leaning towards the following:

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman*
Lara
Smith
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Wasim
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Lara - Smith - Sobers gives a very nice left/ right/ left combination. The side bats down to 10 and has the most potent attack in history.

My ODI XI changes based on where the match is being played.