• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pitting Don Bradman Against Leaders of Related Sports: An Investigation – Part 1

Victor Ian

International Coach
Now that tennis has come up, why is it one of the sports where z's get larger more recent? More professionalism and better equipment has not levelled the field.

I thought Pete Samprass' dominance was a freak. We had a few years where everyone evened out then we got 3 freaks at once.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry but no. Not even remotely compared to cricket at any stage in the last 150 years. Or really by any standard, unless your really stretching
Cricket was not popular in Bradman's time other than for England, Australia, South Africa, new Zealand and Carribean.

It was yet to see the billion plus following which came with inclusion of India and Pakistan.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s still not that popular. A dozen or so countries at the top level isn’t many compared with sports like football or tennis.

Rugby fans will probably want it included but it’s realistically a race between about 10 really competitive countries too. Hopefully one day australia will join them

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Depending on what metrics are used, I've seen cricket ranked as the second or third (behind basketball) most popular team sport.

Of course there's a real big ****ing drop off after association football.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ITBT there aren't many truly global sports outside soccer. Maybe tennis, but there's less money in that than you might think - the top 20 players might earn more than the top cricketers but there are few other players who are being paid a decent living. It's very top heavy in its compensation.

America, who has by far the most money for sports refuses to play sports that anyone else likes. China and Russia focus more on Olympic sports. Europe is dominated by soccer, because quite frankly a whole bunch of men meeting on a field and everybody losing reflects their history. Africa is largely too poor for anything other than soccer and South America loves their soccer too.

Golf and motorsports are too much of a rich man's sport to be truly global. Olympic sports are more of a novelty than a sport people want to regularly watch. Esports aren't stable enough to take over as a long term sport.

Flem274*

123/5
imagine how terrible the world would be if superpowers like america, china and russia actually got good at sports people care about though. we already get the very occasional indian nationalist posting how india are on the cusp of dominating global (on field) cricket and politics forever, now imagine the above countries getting all smug. at least india had decades of imperfect teams to make 99% of their long suffering fans appreciate their current run.

i think nz would actually invest in nukes if a global superpower beat us at rugby. honour would demand fiery retribution.

TheJediBrah

we already get the very occasional indian nationalist posting how india are on the cusp of dominating global (on field) cricket
this would be like me walking into my work pace of 75% women and men in their 40s-50s bragging about being the best in the department at playing pokemon

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
this would be like me walking into my work pace of 75% women and men in their 40s-50s bragging about being the best in the department at playing pokemon
Your telling me that my office cohorts don't care that I was top #100 in PO BW2 OU in 2012 and that's why they laugh at me as I parooze the halls, and not because they admire me?

Burgey

Reckon I would play better after a couple of lines
Mate of mine had some speed before an A grade final in 92/93 when we'd finished fourth and were facing hte minor premiers who we hadn't beaten in four years.

I'm not saying it had any impact on him or the result, but he came in at 3/25, made 138 (85) then took five fer opening the bowling at pace and we won by a dozen runs.