• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pitting Don Bradman Against Leaders of Related Sports: An Investigation – Part 1

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I just looked it up. It's definitely a thing about eye injuries. Australian stats said about 3% of players get an eye injury. I couldn't be bothered to read again if that was yearly or for a lifetime, but still.

The eyeball thing, though is worse. Yes, the ball does try to suck your eye out of the socket, but perhaps, not all the way out. Maybe just bulgey eye. But worse, is that they said most blindness was caused by it making the eyeball explode. That's worse!
FMD. Never heard of this horror show before. was sure you were messing with us, but decided to be the one guy dumb enough to take the bait and google it.

FTR though, this isnt where most squash eye injuries come from. I hit someone in the eye once in one of my first games, but we we had probably played 5 times between us. With a little experience, you dont hit people with the ball, much less in the eye.

The issue is the backswing. You never look behind you, and shouldnt need to... with even a little experience, players get out the way immediately, or you just call a stroke or let.

Doubles is different though. Not enough space. Almost all the eye injuries in squash come from doubles, and plenty of leagues wont even allow you to play without goggles. Doubles with inexperienced (but enthusiastic) players is honestly terrifying. Feels like the primary goal of the game is to avoid turning it into a particularly henious form of contact sport

Bolo.

The measurement parameters for squash and cricket are just too different.

Measuring Bradman as a bat rather than a player is a mistake. If you think Sobers was only 60ish% as good as Bradman based on his batting average, you are wrong in the same way that you are wrong if you think Jahangir's opponents were only 25% as good as him baaed on his driving game.

Measuring British open wins is a mistake. Its one tournament, and hasnt even been the biggest one in ages.

Extend to to more tournaments, and Khan looks even worse. He won the world champs some low single digit number of times IIRC.

Look at his win streak instead. 555 straight. I dont know if Bradman had a winstreak of more than 5, and certainly not 10 straight innings. So Khan is 50 or 100 times better than Bradman... no.

Top players win a huge percentage in the format that squash follows though. Is Khan in the 555 10% better than a player who wins 90+% or the time or infinitely better?

‌I am a huge fan of statistical comparisons, but in this case it feels like we are counting the number of Putin pubes stuck in Trumps teeth vs the number of odorous delights that came out of Roland the Flatulators posterior. Big numbers either way, and we are certainly entitled to pass judgement, but not in the form of statistical comparison

Victor Ian

International Coach
Why are we talking about squash, anyways? It's golf that we need to discredit. I mean, come on, If there is no where, where you break into run, it is not a sport. Those are games of skill.

Bolo.

Weightlifting, swimming, skiing not sports then.
But chess might be...

Funny story, I play a game a bit similar to chess. They are trying to get it into the olympic games, which means olympic standards at the major tournaments... drug testing for a game like chess... why?

I came to China for the first time to play the ameteur champs. One of the testers ran the 2008 olympic games testing. She thought the process was as crazy as I did. I was trying to ask her what perfomance enhancing drug existed for a mind game. Her answer was that if she knew, she would be on it every day of her life.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny story, I play a game a bit similar to chess. They are trying to get it into the olympic games, which means olympic standards at the major tournaments... drug testing for a game like chess... why?
Speed. Ritalin. Dexamphetamine

Victor Ian

International Coach
Weightlifting, swimming, skiing not sports then.

Swimming is running in water. If it is about pushing muscles to their limit, it is a sport. If you casually walk up to the next hole without a pressure in the world, while you talk about **** and stuff, then it is not a sport. Golf is definitely not a sport. Name one thing sporty about it.

If golf was first one in the hole, then it would be a sport.