• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pink ball cricket - thoughts

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I played a Sunday league in the summer which used one and I wasn't a huge fan. Was really hard to get it to swing longer than about 15 overs.

I'd say it's more similar to a white ball in characteristics than a red ball.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually in Jardine and Larwood's day pink was not seen as a 'girly' colour.

In the early part of the last century pink was the colour for boys.

Not that such a thing has any relevance in 2015.
Jardine and Larwood will be relevant for as long as Englishmen have pink balls

GGG

State Captain
Girls colour. Can't imagine DK Lillee or Curtly Ambrose bowling with one.

Or Jardine saying something like, "Harold, I want you to knock Bradman's head off with this nicely coloured pink ball."

It's all wrong.
Wouldn't have Jardine been playing when pink was a boys colour and blue was for girls. It is funny how perceptions of colours can change and it all really boils down to it is just a colour.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't have Jardine been playing when pink was a boys colour and blue was for girls. It is funny how perceptions of colours can change and it all really boils down to it is just a colour.
Never knew that. Google says this was the case until the 1940s.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Will these tests end up with asterisks next to them?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Should there be a separate stats field for Pink ball matches given whats known already after trials? Seen a few corners of the media and some players advocating the idea.
Yes. Redundant argument given there never will be, but there should be. Call them 'pink elephant' stats.

Anyone in/near the Tron going to the trial match? Word is that the players are under instruction to keep any negative opinions or observations to themselves ahead of the Adelaide Test, so any feedback from outside the ropes might be the best ones.

cnerd123

likes this
I shared an article a while back highlighting the difference between the white ball and red one.

Basically the white ball has an extra layer of polish on it, in order to prevent discoloration, and that leads to the increase swing and bounce and 'ping' off the bat. It's also why it feels lighter, as it doesn't absorb as much moisture as the red ball does.

The pink ball should have this extra layer of polish on it too.

I'll see if I can dig that article up later.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I played a Sunday league in the summer which used one and I wasn't a huge fan. Was really hard to get it to swing longer than about 15 overs.

I'd say it's more similar to a white ball in characteristics than a red ball.
Was it a pink Kookaburra? Any comparisons have to be like for like really, given a Platypus/Kooka/Duke all perform very differently

I've used a pink Kooka in the nets and it's very similar to a red Platypus. Feels hard early, actually comes out of the hand quite solidly (not unlike a hockey ball) but feels like the air has been let out of it after 40 minutes. There'll want to be some life in the deck because if there isn't, it'll be like the old stryofome ball and bat kind of battle.