• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Tour of South Africa 2018/19

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Janneman Malan added to the squad - de Kock out injured and Faf rested for the last two games. If de Kock isn't fit for the 1st test against Sri Lanka, which starts in less than 2 weeks, will the selectors go with Klaasen, who seems to be losing favour, or go with Qeshile instead?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Decent win last night considering the attack South Africa fielded and Pakistan’s recent record in 20/20s.
I can only presume Tahir will retire after this year’s WC, as otherwise why isn’t he playing this series along with Shamsi? Next year’s 20/20 WC is in Australia, and you tend to think most sides will be going in with at least two spin options.

Dendarii

International Debutant
He did. Has anyone ever seen a MotM award given out to someone who didn't bowl and scored less than Miller's 10? I seem to recall Sir Viv and Jonty Rhodes getting an award once and I'm thinking Mark Taylor too based largely off fielding, but can't recall the specific game to know what they scored.
Rhodes made 40 in his match, which was the second highest score: Full Scorecard of South Africa vs West Indies, C.A.B. Jubilee Tournament (Hero Cup), 4th Match - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com
Taylor only made 9: Full Scorecard of Australia vs West Indies, Australian Tri Series (CB Series), 3rd Match - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com
Richards didn't bat at all, although he did bowl four overs but didn't pick up any wickets and was the least economical: Full Scorecard of India vs West Indies, MRF World Series (Nehru Cup), 2nd SF - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com
And there was also Gus Logie, who didn't bat or bowl: Full Scorecard of Pakistan vs West Indies, Sharjah Champions Trophy, 2nd Match - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

Dendarii

International Debutant
If de Kock isn't fit for the 1st test against Sri Lanka, which starts in less than 2 weeks, will the selectors go with Klaasen, who seems to be losing favour, or go with Qeshile instead?
I doubt they'll go with Qeshile - as good as his season's been, it was his debut season, so a bit too early for him. Klaasen may have lost favour in ODIs, but in the two first-class matches he player this season he averaged 47, and Rudi Second averaged 42. So I think one of those two would be the replacement for De Kock.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Janneman Malan added to the squad - de Kock out injured and Faf rested for the last two games. If de Kock isn't fit for the 1st test against Sri Lanka, which starts in less than 2 weeks, will the selectors go with Klaasen, who seems to be losing favour, or go with Qeshile instead?
I doubt they'll go with Qeshile - as good as his season's been, it was his debut season, so a bit too early for him. Klaasen may have lost favour in ODIs, but in the two first-class matches he player this season he averaged 47, and Rudi Second averaged 42. So I think one of those two would be the replacement for De Kock.
It would be left field out of the box done for all the wrong reasons, but could happen..... more likely Rudi Second. Problem for Klaasen is he was picked as much for his big hitting ability as anything else. I think Second has been more consistent for the last few years. Suspect Klaasen (maybe Miller) gets picked as T20 captain?

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
It would be left field out of the box done for all the wrong reasons, but could happen..... more likely Rudi Second. Problem for Klaasen is he was picked as much for his big hitting ability as anything else. I think Second has been more consistent for the last few years.
It's difficult to try to work out what the selectors' thinking would be. Second has performed for the A team, but Klaasen has been on tour as the backup keeper, and there's no real difference in their first-class batting stats. So neither one of them falls into the category of an obvious replacement.

Suspect Klaasen (maybe Miller) gets picked as T20 captain?
Miller makes the most sense to me. I don't know whether he's got any experience captaining at domestic level (does anyone else in the squad?), but he's obviously got the most international experience by a long way.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Well, Cloete was keeping ahead of Klaasen in this game, though I don't understand it. Technique was a bit questionable, but except for the last ball, no obvious mistakes. I doubt they'll pick Qeshile, since they've rarely picked players without a run in the A side as they feel the gap from franchise is too great? Though I don't think J Malan has had A side experience.

Miller's two run outs were excellent, but the catches were just being in the right place at the right time.

The most interesting thing yesterday was to see the back-up bowling in action without Rabada or Steyn. Phehlukwayo and Shamsi obviously the picks. Morris's first two spells were dire, though the last over with full swinging deliveries was a big improvement. He and Beuran felt like they were trying to bowl too many different plans at once. When Beuran was hitting the deck and bowling at the legs he was effective. Dala's action and rhythm were appalling (as often), but he did genuinely hurry the batsmen several times.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jonty Rhodes was man of the match once in a domestic game when he wasn't even in the eleven, for his sub fielding.
That's incredible :laugh:

He got motm in a odi once against the west indies, he scored 40 odd but the award was largely for the 5 catches of increasing ridiculousness he took.

Bolo

State Captain
Well, Cloete was keeping ahead of Klaasen in this game, though I don't understand it. Technique was a bit questionable, but except for the last ball, no obvious mistakes. I doubt they'll pick Qeshile, since they've rarely picked players without a run in the A side as they feel the gap from franchise is too great? Though I don't think J Malan has had A side experience.

Miller's two run outs were excellent, but the catches were just being in the right place at the right time.

The most interesting thing yesterday was to see the back-up bowling in action without Rabada or Steyn. Phehlukwayo and Shamsi obviously the picks. Morris's first two spells were dire, though the last over with full swinging deliveries was a big improvement. He and Beuran felt like they were trying to bowl too many different plans at once. When Beuran was hitting the deck and bowling at the legs he was effective. Dala's action and rhythm were appalling (as often), but he did genuinely hurry the batsmen several times.
And actually catching them. Holding onto an easy catch seems to be noteworthy from and rsa fielder these days.

Other than the rhodes one, there is a surprising amount of doing nothing other than catches for mom awards.

That taylor match is awesome. Exteremly strong WI batting lineup. Utterly dire aus bowling lineup. Only McDermott was any good, and both waughs playing as front line bowlers. Not expected.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I doubt they'll pick Qeshile, since they've rarely picked players without a run in the A side as they feel the gap from franchise is too great? Though I don't think J Malan has had A side experience.
Malan's being picked for T20s rather than tests, so maybe a lack of A side experience doesn't matter so much there. And they've given his Mzansi Super League performance as a reason for his selection, and that might be regarded as being a step up from franchise level.

Stefan9

International Debutant
It's difficult to try to work out what the selectors' thinking would be. Second has performed for the A team, but Klaasen has been on tour as the backup keeper, and there's no real difference in their first-class batting stats. So neither one of them falls into the category of an obvious replacement.

Miller makes the most sense to me. I don't know whether he's got any experience captaining at domestic level (does anyone else in the squad?), but he's obviously got the most international experience by a long way.

Believe the only captaincy miller has done is a failed kings 11 stint.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Have Kyle Verreynne as well. Only 21 and a good franchise record with the bat. Though like Qeshile, seems averse to three figures. Second has weight of runs however and has done well for South Africa A, and overseas to boot.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Have Kyle Verreynne as well. Only 21 and a good franchise record with the bat. Though like Qeshile, seems averse to three figures. Second has weight of runs however and has done well for South Africa A, and overseas to boot.
Number of good wk batsmen running around.... just as long as we don't do an England.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Both Qeshile and Verreyne have had a lot of their innings at 7 (think Verreyne may have batted 8 even?) where it is decidedly more difficult to reach 3 figures.