• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Tour of South Africa 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't see them calling up any other spinners. I think they are looking at who they want now and will probably go for a relatively settled squad for the SL series. I really think Markram should be going but he wont be selected, they would have given him more playing chances otherwise.
For T20s I don't see a reason not to call-up a big hitting finger spinner. The thinking should be different to ODIs.

There is T20 WC in Australia in 2020 so it deserves its own planning.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
For T20s I don't see a reason not to call-up a bigg hitting finger spinner. The thinking should be different to ODIs.

There is T20 WC in Australia in 2020 so it deserves its own planning.
I agree there is no reason not to.... but they are not going to do it, not yet. I really think the T20 versus Pak is just a showcase to try figure out if there is anybody else they want to take to the WC. Giving Reeza, van Dussen, Klaasen chances to cement places. Giving no 6-10 pace bowlers and all rounders a shot to try get into the squad. Shamsi getting his run as 2nd choice spinner. So while they still using the T20 as opportunity for the WC squad not gonna see anybody new yet. Maybe against SL the T20 team will start looking towards the T20 WC.

SeamUp

International Coach
I agree there is no reason not to.... but they are not going to do it, not yet. I really think the T20 versus Pak is just a showcase to try figure out if there is anybody else they want to take to the WC. Giving Reeza, van Dussen, Klaasen chances to cement places. Giving no 6-10 pace bowlers and all rounders a shot to try get into the squad. Shamsi getting his run as 2nd choice spinner. So while they still using the T20 as opportunity for the WC squad not gonna see anybody new yet. Maybe against SL the T20 team will start looking towards the T20 WC.
You probably right but I think they've found out all they need to know already bar 4th fast strike bowler.

Dendarii

International Debutant
You probably right but I think they've found out all they need to know already bar 4th fast strike bowler.
And perhaps also a bit of uncertainty about the all-rounders with Mulder only having just come back from injury.

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
SA world cup team what you guys think.

Hendricks
De Kock
Amla
Rassie van der Dussen
Faf
Miller
Pretorius
Phehlukwayo
Rabada
Steyn
Tahir/Shamsi

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah his name was brought up on that comedy show 'Switch Hit' on cricinfo
Think it broke in one of the tabloids in England.

If memory serves me correct I don't think they were too pleased when the leak happened that we wanted Gibson to be our coach when we were touring there.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Does Gibson's contract expire after the CWC? That's a real shame if so. I'm sure he'd like the opportunity to work with the next-gen of fast bowlers e.g Sipalma, Nortje, Burger, Coetzee

Heboric

International Debutant
Think it broke in one of the tabloids in England.

If memory serves me correct I don't think they were too pleased when the leak happened that we wanted Gibson to be our coach when we were touring there.
No sympathy from me, I still remember the Eddie Jones, Stormers and England incident.

Although there is no way CSA can compete against the ECB when it comes to money and that stipulation by CSA regarding his extension is a bit harsh in my book

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Does Gibson's contract expire after the CWC? That's a real shame if so. I'm sure he'd like the opportunity to work with the next-gen of fast bowlers e.g Sipalma, Nortje, Burger, Coetzee
2 year contract. Think that CSA would be foolish to let him go though, would be interesting if he wanted to stay on or if England would just offer him too much money to turn down.

SeamUp

International Coach
2 year contract. Think that CSA would be foolish to let him go though, would be interesting if he wanted to stay on or if England would just offer him too much money to turn down.
The mad part is that he has to win the world cup to keep his job was a supposed stipulation in contract.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
He also seems to think that Hendricks will be preferred ahead of Van der Dussen. I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.
One thing that oddly might work in our favour this time besides being under-dogs is that we don't really have a definite best XI so you hope it keeps guys like Amla, Hendricks, vd Dussen, Miller etc on their toes.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not sure we will see too much more of Dala. Beuran and Morris hit good areas and jamming the bat hard on impact.

Fakhar looking so sub-standard again.

SeamUp

International Coach
Has Tabraiz Shamsi really grabbed his opportunities to say I am here to challenge you Imran Tahir ?

The answer is no and its frustrating because we all want him to be the guy to stand up and replace Immie.