• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated Bowlers

spinning_master

Cricket Spectator
Looks like you're wrong

Don't get me wrong about this I think that most of the Australian team are the classic example of nasty dishonest *****s, and Brett Lee being a fine example of that along with McGrath. But you can't deny the facts that Brett Lee has been by far the best Aussie paceman in this series albeit a couple of teams they knew they could convincingly beat. His stats say he's bowled well and could still hang around for a while.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Does anyone actually rate Anderson, u can't be overated if u aren't rated.
a lot of people wanted him in the side ahead of jones, and i know a lot of people who still think that he has plenty of potential, even though hes been failing for god knows how long.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
personally, the most overrated bowlers in cricket ATM are pathan(although at least he looks capable of living up to his hype), ntini, pollock(atm), anderson and harbhajan.
And Flintoff's not overated and overhyped?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
I wouldn't think any englishman would suggest he is.....

just like i wouldn't expect an Aussie to think that of Lee.
I guess we have to wait to the Ashes to solve this argument :D :D

C_C

International Captain
Flintoff is overrated. So is harmison.
The only bowlers outside OZ today that are worthwhile are Murali,Akhtar,Kumble, and Pollock.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
The only bowlers outside OZ today that are worthwhile are Murali,Akhtar,Kumble, and Pollock.
Ludicrous. Even if Harmison is overrated (and I agree he is) that doesn't mean he's actually a BAD bowler, he's just not the best pace bowler in the world. And to suggest that the likes of Vaas, Flintoff, Pathan, Hoggard, Kaneria, Harbhajan, Vettori etc aren't "worthwhile" is insane. They are all excellent test class bowlers who are well worth their place in their sides, they just aren't among the best in the world. A bowler can be overrated and still be very good...

C_C

International Captain
And to suggest that the likes of Vaas, Flintoff, Pathan, Hoggard, Kaneria, Harbhajan, Vettori etc aren't "worthwhile" is insane.
I rate Harbhajan, Vaas and Hoggard to be FAR better than the Harmlessone.
They have done it against numerous times, both against good batting lineups and poor ones..unlike Harmison.

And Flintoff is overrated too and so is Vettori....
Pathan and Kaneria are potentials....they are not even rated yet by me in test cricket...neither is strauss or michael clarke.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Swervy said:
no he isnt
Shall I dig up the thread stating Flintoff is the best and most valuable cricketer in the world today?

He is overhyped, and this is coming from a big Flintoff fan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
Shall I dig up the thread stating Flintoff is the best and most valuable cricketer in the world today?

I'll concede he may be overhyped (a tad), but I don't think his bowling is overrated. Anyone who saw him in SA must surely acknowledge he bowled well. People keep banging on about his "average career record"; it is still average, but he's shaved about 8 runs off it in the last 12 months. He's arguably the form fast-bowler in the world just now (injury notwithstanding). Harmy was tripe over there & Ahktar seems determined to find more & new ways to pick up minor injuries!

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
zinzan12 said:
I wouldn't think any englishman would suggest he is.....

just like i wouldn't expect an Aussie to think that of Lee.

I'm an Aussie and I would say Brett Lee is overrated. He may have bowled well in the last VB series but bowling good in one series isn't enough to warrant him being built up like most Australians seem to do.
......and on the other hand I think Flintoff is great, not overrated at all.

C_C said:

*An injury free Shane Bond I would rate higher than the majority of the Aus. pace attack (Kaspa, Gillespie & Lee).
*I think Hoggard is a great bowler very worthwhile, he may not average in the mid-low 20's but he has to bowl a lot of overs for england and often has to carry their attack.
*Sri Lanka's Chaminda Vaas is another great bowler I think you have so easily cast aside and failed to mention.
*Dwayne Bravo is def. one for the future and is still at this moment a very good bowler. Another one you missed out.

There are plenty of good non-Australian bowlers going around, to say that only four exist just makes you seem naive.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
I'll concede he may be overhyped (a tad), but I don't think his bowling is overrated. Anyone who saw him in SA must surely acknowledge he bowled well. People keep banging on about his "average career record"; it is still average, but he's shaved about 8 runs off it in the last 12 months. He's arguably the form fast-bowler in the world just now (injury notwithstanding). Harmy was tripe over there & Ahktar seems determined to find more & new ways to pick up minor injuries!
I can't argue with that. Flintoff did bowl well, and I probably should have made it clear that I was referring to Flintoff being overhyped as a player in general (because I thought that thread made a few months ago was extremely premature). He did bowl fantastic, and he is always improving.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
C_C said:
Worthwhile? :huh:

I assure you there are plenty of bowlers outside of Australiathat are 'worthwhile' other than those that you mentioned. Just because a player is overhyped or overrated (there is a difference), doesn't mean they are not actually a good player (and in the case of this thread, a good bowler). Flintoff is a good bowler, Harmison has everything it takes (bar possibly some mental aspects, because if confidence alone fuels him he has problems) to be a great fast bowler, but he is not there yet and is far from the best fast bowler in the world which he was touted to be not so long ago.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
And Flintoff is overrated too and so is Vettori....
Right... and there is a hell of a big step between being overrated (which has nothing to do with the quality of your performance but instead with the way people recieve you) and being worthless as a bowler. Harmison is overrated because people called him the best fast bowler in the world when clearly he is nothing of the kind. He is not worthless by a long shot. The same is true of all the other bowlers I mentioned, whether they are overrated or not.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
and if there is an over rated bowler in the world its probably Shoaib..its all well and good bowling really well, swing it all over the pace at 100mph for 3 overs an innings and then bowling the remaining 10 overs of the match he bowls like dog turd...it doesnt make him a great bowler. History i think will retrospectively show him to be a bowler who could have/should have done better than has done/will do.

Flintoff as a bowler IMO is massively under rated...he is in general bowling as well as probably any pace bowler in the world at the moment..and yet people seem to only want to look as his career average and say he is poor.

harmison has so obviously not bowled like he can do, he has not had the pace of earlier in the year,and I think he was a bit unlucky in the SA series.I would still rate him right up there as one of the more dangerous bowlers in the world

I agree about Pollock though..people keep writing him off, but he continues to perform brilliantly.

Murali goes without saying

Kumble...well.....mmmmm....I rate harbhajan as a better bowler than Kumble..I will leave it at that

Swervy

International Captain
Jono said:

why do you think he isnt as good as people think he is????

In my mind he is the best allrounder in the world bar none..and that includes Kallis.I saw the Big 4 play,and I personally think he could compete with them as allrounder especially Kapil Dev (Flintoff is a better batsman,and certainly Devs equal with the ball,Flintoff is undoubtedly a better batsman than hadlee,probably better with the bat than Imran,and probably about the same as Botham with the bat,but better than Botham with the ball post 82).

With regards to value..well England are the world most improved team over the last 2 years..it is no coincidence that Flintoffs batting and bowling has improved vastly in that time. I dont think it would be too far off the mark to say he is in the top 4 or 5 most valuable players in the world at the moment.

I am a big Flintoff fan..but only becuase I appreciate what i see with his play.He is IMO one of the most talented players to emerge in cricket in the last 10 years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
In my mind he is the best allrounder in the world bar none..and that includes Kallis.
I don't think Kallis even warrents being called an all-rounder, rather a batsman who can bowl to fill an end.