• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated Bowlers

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really consider Brett Lee to be overrated, for the simple reason that most cricket fans don't rate him at all. He's really not anywhere near as bad as people make out, he just looks terrible when he has an off day. When he's bowling at his best he is very good.

In terms of bowlers who are actually overrated... well Harmison springs to mind, even though I do think he is a talent, calling him the best pace bowler in the world was a bit over the top.

Another one might be Murali... not because he isn't a world class bowler, but because some people seem to lift him to demi-god status and believe that he can't be outplayed, when his averages of 116 in Australia and 48 in India suggest otherwise.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Another one might be Murali... not because he isn't a world class bowler, but because some people seem to lift him to demi-god status and believe that he can't be outplayed, when his averages of 116 in Australia and 48 in India suggest otherwise.
Murali has played once in Australia, ten years ago 8-) . Have a look at his ODI record in Australia and his overall Test Record against Australia, it is better then most bowlers. Most spin bowlers struggle aganist India, even Warnie, cus they are the best players of spin in the world.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
chaminda_00 said:
Murali has played once in Australia, ten years ago 8-) .
That's partly his fault tho, isn't it? It doesn't say wonders for his qualities as a team player when he would rather sit at home crying to his mum than face up with his mates to (arguably) the best team ever.

Now I know he's had a lotta cr@p thrown his way from certain quarters in Oz, a lot of it pretty shameful stuff, but he went down in my estimation when he chose not to tour. Hardly the way to ram his critics words down their throats, is it?

Now, in answer to the question, I'd say either Phil Tufnell (took more wickets with bad balls than any other bowler apart from perhaps Beefy, his reputation seems to rest on two performances & overall average of 37+) or John Emburey (yeah, yeah, classical-offie & all that, but career average in high 30s & the only player to go on both rebel tours to apartheid SA).

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Akhtar? Peoples opinions on him seem to vary. From what I hear, he thinks hes one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time, so he certainly overrates himself.
Other people who think he's rubbish are wrong though, as he can be a very good bowler. If he stopped being such a showpony and talking himself up the whole time and actually concetrated on improving his bowling (e.g. listen to coaches who tell him to shorten the run-up) he could become a far more consistent world class performer

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
Couldnt it be a psychological thing though?

Its all well for us to sit on our a$$es here saying that he must shorten his run up. But it could be that he 'feels' fast only with the lengthy run up. Things are not always black and white. He could still be as fast from a shorter run up, but if he doesnt like it, why force him? Hes the bowler.Maybe he needs the lengthy run up to psyche himself up.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
With people putting Brett Lee down so much i think he is no longer in the overated class, but the underated class.
I agree....

Just watching the first 10 overs of the ****'s innings now and

To his critics despair, Lee is bowling magnificently so far.....

No doubt they will still find something to criticise him about.

His first over LBW was exactly the same ball he got Fleming with in the first NZ onedayer. Fullpitched and fast with late swing. Very difficult for a lefthanded early on.

How people describe him as a rubbish bowler is beyond me....

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
zinzan12 said:
I agree....

His first over LBW was exactly the same ball he got Fleming with in the first NZ onedayer. Fullpitched and fast with late swing. Very difficult for a lefthanded early on.

I guess it has to do with his test record.

Scallywag

Banned
sir middle stump said:
I guess it has to do with his test record.
His test record is much better than Flintoff but flintoff is regarded as the better bowler and Lee is considered overrated.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
zinzan12 said:
I agree....

Lee has either been unfit or out of form for the last few years. As a result, his test record has been very poor in that period.

However, when fit, he is a VERY special bowler - out-swing at over 150 ks.

People who call that rubbish have never played the game.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Lee seems to be in the same boat as Akhtar...hes not as bad as some of his critics make him out to be but he doesnt deserve all the hype he gets

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
social said:
Lee has either been unfit or out of form for the last few years. As a result, his test record has been very poor in that period.

And yet there are threads ridiculing Shoaib for 'lacking a ticker' and that sort of stuff when he gets injured.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sir middle stump said:
And yet there are threads ridiculing Shoaib for 'lacking a ticker' and that sort of stuff when he gets injured.
I take it your a Lee Critic Sir Middle??

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
zinzan12 said:
I take it your a Lee Critic Sir Middle??
Certainly not ! Just a Shoaib empathiser. :)

What I meant was that so many believe that injuries have not allowed Lee to fulfill his potential, but yet havent hesitated to criticise Shoaib in other threads, when the fact is that he faces the same problems as Lee (injuries), but only worse, since Lee atleast has 3 other guys shouldering the bowling attack with him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
His test record is much better than Flintoff but flintoff is regarded as the better bowler and Lee is considered overrated.
His career record yes, but that doesn't take into account the major deterioration post-injury.

Josh

International Regular
Lee is far from overrated. Watson is MASSIVELY overrated. I still fail to see why he is there. A complete dud of a player.

Harmison is overrated. I can't wait 'til he bowls to the Aussies again, then we'll all know how good he is. :D

Josh

International Regular
social said:

Thank you