• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Cloned Player

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
To be fair, I dont think they would notice :)

Thats not to do with how I look, its the other way around :D
:laugh:

Yeah, I get the impression a few female cricketers wear sensible shoes, if you catch my drift! ;)

Link

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
If I set so much as a foot in that country, I thoroughly expect to be on the receiving end of one of Mad Bob's Death Squads inside ten minutes.
ha ha yeah, i supsose so, didnt think about that

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
yeah, me too.. Doesnt mean I am any good though ;)
Everyone who's played Cricket has had a spell with the gloves at some point.

Just the usual over talking of Flintoff by english fans .. Yawn yawn.

Even hypothetically a team of Flintoff's wouldn't come close to beating This great Australian side. Absurd stuff. C'mon Flintoff fans pull your head in. He's good, but not that good.

I'd even rate this aussie side to beat a team of Sober's, and Sober's is 100 times the player Flintoff will ever be.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
s'alright.. Just keep your mouth closed, and lose the British passport if you have one... :D The cricket is probably easy!
yeah, that is what i was going on, i think i could cope with the game just not staying alive :blink:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
xan_pro said:
i would certainly pick THE WALL - RAHUL DRAVID. Australia can never get him out even 10 times in a test match
But this player has to be able to bowl as well!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
Even hypothetically a team of Flintoff's wouldn't come close to beating This great Australian side. Absurd stuff. C'mon Flintoff fans pull your head in. He's good, but not that good.

Go on then.

Tell us a better person to hypothetically clone.

I'd say a team of 11 people rated in the top 10 for both batting and bowling would be a strong team.

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Everyone who's played Cricket has had a spell with the gloves at some point.

Just the usual over talking of Flintoff by english fans .. Yawn yawn.

I'd even rate this aussie side to beat a team of Sober's, and Sober's is 100 times the player Flintoff will ever be.
quite frankly its absurd that you get het up about a team of 11 Flintoffs :D :wacko:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
if a player from the ROW side was cloned you people do realise that we would be forced to clone an aussie player - imagine 30 straight overs from McGraths, or Gilly or Punter at both ends of the pitch when batting :p

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I think he's jealous because NZ don't have him.
Sorry I forgot that Flintoff is a better player than Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Langer, Gillispie and Hayden. How absurd of me to dispute the claim.

Where have I ever suggested Flintoff is not a good test player?? What I struggle with is the notion of him being one a greats of his era.

Its one thing to use the concept of a cloned player. And I agree that it wouldn't be a bad thing at all to have 11 Flintoff's.

But to suggest 11 Flintoff's would compete in a test with one of the great test teams of all time is what I disagree with.

So Marc, the fact that I think a hypothetical test between 11 Flintoff's and Australia would be a non contest and that i think Flintoff is slightly over-hyped makes me jealous does it??

Using the same rational you must be jealous of Brett Lee.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Sorry I forgot that Flintoff is a better player than Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Langer, Gillispie and Hayden. How absurd of me to dispute the claim.

Where have I ever suggested Flintoff is not a good test player?? What I struggle with is the notion of him being one a greats of his era.

Its one thing to use the concept of a cloned player. And I agree that it wouldn't be a bad thing at all to have 11 Flintoff's.

But to suggest 11 Flintoff's would compete in a test with one of the great test teams of all time is what I disagree with.

So Marc, the fact that I think a hypothetical test between 11 Flintoff's and Australia would be a non contest and that i think Flintoff is slightly over-hyped makes me jealous does it??

Using the same rational you must be jealous of Brett Lee.
Well England have Harmison who is probably better then Lee test, ATM.

I was surprised u didn't say that u have Oram, who is proabably the closest player to Flintoff when it comes to strength in batting and bowling.

A team of Flintoff would be nice to watch but i can't see a team of Top 20 batter and bowlers and bowlers beating Australia. There is easily ten better batsmen them him in Test Cricket and ten better bowlers then him.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
That's just insane. Do you realise how good Sobers actually was?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
That's just insane. Do you realise how good Sobers actually was?
Yeah eleven guys that average 58 with the bat, australia would have no chance to get 20 wickets. He would struggle to get 20 wickets himslef but would have more chance then the Aussies.

psxpro

Banned
marc71178 said:
I think he's jealous because NZ don't have him.
Oram's better than Flitntoff anyway, just look at the test averages.
Flintoff is very overated and inconsistant. He could never play an innings like oram did vs australia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
Flintoff is very overated and inconsistant. He could never play an innings like oram did vs australia.
Also i heard he was a Football Goalkeeper for youth Kiwi sides, so he might do ok behind the stumps.

Swervy

International Captain
psxpro said:
Admittedly Oram has done well with the bat...but is he really a test quality bowler...yeah lets look at the stats...last 7 tests

Oram Bat:407 runs,1 50 ,1 century, ave 45.22
Oram Ball: 6 wickets at ave 82.50, including 3/36 vs Bangladesh (taken wickets in only 3 innings in that time)

Flintoff Bat: 363 runs, 4 50's, ave 36.30
Flintoff Ball: 31 wickets at ave 25.00 (taken wickets in every innings, inlcluding twice 4 wickets innings and 3 times 3 wicket innings)

OK, I was being unfair, I chose the period when Orams bowling has been a joke results wise.

Oram has played 17 tests, its only fair to compare the two over the last 17 tests they have played.

Oram bat: 17 tests,1002 runs, ave 43.56, 2x100,4x50,
Oram ball: 486.4overs 1261 runs 35wickets 4/41(Best innings) 6/63(best match) ave:36.02 rpo:2.59 SR:83.4 no 5 wicket hauls

Flintoff bat:17 tests, 1137 runs, ave 47.37, 2x100, 9x50
Flintoff ball: 515 overs,1506 runs,60 wickets,5/58 (best innings), 7/78 (best match)
ave:25.10 rpo:2.92 SR:51.5 1 5 wicket haul

Pretty conclusive I reckon...

Unfair you may say...Oram has only played 17 tests since his debut in Dec 2002, Flintoff has played 24 tests since then....

OK, since Dec 2002, Flintoff has scored 1596 runs at 44.33, with 3 hundreds and 12 fifties
Flintoff has taken 77 wickets at 29.50

No way we can get around it,in the time frame that Oram has played test cricket, Flintoff has has quite clearly had much more impact with the ball...and in actual fact had quite a bit more success with the bat.

So psxpro, what do you think about that one then?