• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final at The Oval – June 7–11, 2023

Gob

International Coach
Now that this Test is in the bag and Australia are WTC champions...

Are Australia going to pick Starc in their Ashes XI? Because it feels like that's exactly what England will want them to do, and what they shouldn't do.
Was thinking the same thing but Cummins/Hazewood/Boland/Nesser are same same

Plus rough for Lyon

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was thinking the same thing but Cummins/Hazewood/Boland/Nesser are same same

Plus rough for Lyon
That's a decent variety of pace, trajectories and angles though. Neser and Cummins aren't especially similar.

Gob

International Coach
That's a decent variety of pace, trajectories and angles though. Neser and Cummins aren't especially similar.
They are same same when compared to Starc though. If the sloggers in the England line up starts to swipe across the line, it would be easier to line up Cummins/Hazewood/Boland/Nesser

trundler

They are same same when compared to Starc though. If the sloggers in the England line up starts to swipe across the line, it would be easier to line up Cummins/Hazewood/Boland/Nesser
Starc's LO chops could come in handy for sure if they produce roads but that's unlikely.

TheJediBrah

Starc is a liability in Tests. Like a leaking tap that gushes runs and releases pressure

Needs to be

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

Seriously though there is no way he should be playing ahed of Neser here

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This pitch is a throwback the nineties Oval pitches. Quite a disadvantage to India compared to what's been the normal Oval pitch over the past few years which IMO were about as neutral for these two sides as you could get.

TheJediBrah

This pitch is a throwback the nineties Oval pitches. Quite a disadvantage to India compared to what's been the normal Oval pitch over the past few years which IMO were about as neutral for these two sides as you could get.
Yeah if there's a 2 spinner pitch in England it's usually the Oval

Could be that they don't usually play Tests here this early in the season so the pitch is a bit underdone

Burgey

Good day for our blokes. Pretty obvious the bowlers were short of a gallop - not as disciplined as usual, but a good first up hit out after a long break from the red ball game. Match could have been all but done had Cummins not had his uncharacteristic no ball issues and the Rahane lbw stood.

Still, well in front and a couple of decent days to start the most likely undefeated tour

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Starc is a liability in Tests. Like a leaking tap that gushes runs and releases pressure

Needs to be

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

Seriously though there is no way he should be playing ahed of Neser here
What about the rough for Nathan though

Nathan needs rough to be penetrative

morgieb

I think if the pitches play like they did in the first half of the English summer last year then Starc probably should still play. Otherwise the Australian attack might be too easy to smash.

If they play like they normally do though? C’ya ****.

TheJediBrah

I think if the pitches play like they did in the first half of the English summer last year then Starc probably should still play. Otherwise the Australian attack might be too easy to smash.

I'm happy for a horses-for-courses approach. Starc is invaluable on drier, more abrasive surfaces but is a leaky pressure valve on more "traditional" English pitches.

As far as rough for Lyon goes that's always been overblown. Most right-armers bowl around the wicket to lefties these days anyway and with England likely playing an offie too it helps them just as much as Lyon. I just don't think it's a relevant factor

the big bambino

International Captain
Now that this Test is in the bag and Australia are WTC champions...

Are Australia going to pick Starc in their Ashes XI? Because it feels like that's exactly what England will want them to do, and what they shouldn't do.
Starc is rubbish v India. I'd still pick him first up for the Ashes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Getting stomped on pretty hard here. Bumrah, Pant and Ashwin really being missed. One of those by choice. Really thought india would compete for the first innings and then maybe fall apart in the second without a second spin option but this is looking like a big hiding.

Burgey

I'd see how he does throughout this test first, given none of the bowlers looked exactly at their best given the long lay off, and he'll probably get the first test of the Ashes anyway. If it swings he's a real asset, and he has to pitch it up to see if it's swinging. if it doesn't swing that means he'll get some tap til he dials his length back. That's the price you buy him at. He'll be bowling to Crawley, Duckett and Pope ffs. He could bowl a lot worse than he did last night and still have three for nothing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think as a general rule people make too much of the variety left arm quicks bring, but when Green exists as insurance I think it's worth picking Starc at least to start the series. Even putting aside his left-handedness he has a different MO to the other bowlers.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Getting stomped on pretty hard here. Bumrah, Pant and Ashwin really being missed. One of those by choice. Really thought india would compete for the first innings and then maybe fall apart in the second without a second spin option but this is looking like a big hiding.
I hate to say it but I don’t think you can include Pant in that group anymore. Surely he won’t be back playing for a very long time

TheJediBrah

I'd see how he does throughout this test first, given none of the bowlers looked exactly at their best given the long lay off, and he'll probably get the first test of the Ashes anyway. If it swings he's a real asset, and he has to pitch it up to see if it's swinging. if it doesn't swing that means he'll get some tap til he dials his length back. That's the price you buy him at. He'll be bowling to Crawley, Duckett and Pope ffs. He could bowl a lot worse than he did last night and still have three for nothing.
Has Starc ever swung a red ball in England

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Shows how insane bradman was, NGL. We think smith having 7 in 31 innings is insane, but bradman had 4 more hundreds in fewer innings.
And to put this into context, the link below shows all visiting batsman from other countries in terms of most Test 100s in England. As we know, England is one of the toughest countries to get a Test Century because of the green decks and the duke ball. It's a pretty good list. Who's on top of this list?....Yep you betcha'......you know who it is 🙂👍