• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final at The Oval – June 7–11, 2023

halba

International 12th Man
From an English perspective, would be delighted if Starc played the First Test. Bowled one good ball in 54 yesterday and that was more to do with whatever it hit on the pitch than anything different on his part. If he's going round the park to the Indians, even Crawley's going to fancy his chances.
Neser over Starc ASAP
Starc has serious pressure on his spot
He's not good overseas in tests.

halba

International 12th Man
Quite possibly Bumrah too. Even if Bumrah comes back he is unlikely to be the same bowler as he used to be.

Bumrah and Pant were India's best all conditions players and this team looks far less formidable without them.
Also no legends. Sehwag (50ave as opener) ,Ganguly, Laxman, Tendulkar of course, Dravid. Those guys were elite. They have not rebuilt their batting to that level since.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In more than one way. Having just spent an intense 2 months in the IPL environment, I'm not entirely sure many of them actually want to be in London at the mo.
Yeah I was talking more the long term effect on India producing class Test batsmen, but there's obviously an immediate influence on this game right here

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its amazing that we have been outplayed so totally and yet, we were pretty lucky to win the toss in those conditions. We both were 70/3 but then a couple that reared off the length were nicked away from the fielders when Smith and Khawaja were batting, but when Virat nicked it, it went straight to Smith. I remember I only watched like a 3 over period in the first session on day 1, and Warner and Labu both had balls off their inside edge literally miss the stumps by less than an inch.

I thougth back to the Gabba test and Pant's stumping being missed and Pujara playing and missing like a million times. Its such a game of fine margins even if its obvious a good team can quickly widen the gulf they do get through those fine margins. Like INdia C at Gabba and Australia here.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
A question for the Aussies on here about Scott Boland.

Why has he not been picked alot earlier in his career. Obviously he's up against some fine bolwers and even he must be surprised at just how well he's doing.

His 1st class record is good but not outstanding. Has he been hiding in plain sight or has he improved significantly in recent years.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking the same thing but Cummins/Hazewood/Boland/Nesser are same same

Plus rough for Lyon
I get the idea but at some stage the amount of wickets he takes at the average and his economy rate plays the biggest part. As I say, I think England will be happier to see someone like him over a RAer who hits a much more consistent and harder length.

Starc, if backed, will probably have one day where he bends it round corners and knocks over the top order for squat but no one knows when and where that'll be. And he's a fair chance of getting pumped every other time

halba

International 12th Man
bit unlucky here boland, edged and wide of slip. should have 3 fa
imagine having boland/neser on from both ends, would be a handful on english pitches, selectors need to consider this for the 1st test.

Cummins is out of form for a while now, and having the 6 RPO Starc on, from the other end, we would be losing the match with that.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The difference in how much Australia have consistently got out of this pitch (both in terms of sideways movement and lift) compared to India has been shocking. India had the better bowling conditions too for half the first day.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Rotating seamers was an important part of retaining the ashes last time so their ‘first choice attack’ isn’t so important and they should just plan to pick him for the tests they think he’ll be most useful for.
This is a good point re rotation, although I reckon Australia will have no idea which Test he'll prove useful for