• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Euro 2022 in England

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yes, the winning goal was a genuinely thrilling moment. Doing my usual thing of thinking back to goals scored by the men's teach in knock out matches, I thought it was up there with David Platt's last minute volley against Belgium in 1990 as a spine tingling contribution.
Yeah, think that's the top one in KO wins my lifetime, but Owen's goal v yer Argies in 98 was a ripper too, albeit in a losing (on penalties) cause.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't really complain about Germany winning against the run-of-play, considering yesterday, but still typical bloody Germans.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, think that's the top one in KO wins my lifetime, but Owen's goal v yer Argies in 98 was a ripper too, albeit in a losing (on penalties) cause.
Good call. My other thought about that match was that we were belatedly due payback for Campbell's disallowed goal. Cue our equaliser last night after a similar aerial challenge.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Always enjoy a keeper coming up to attack at the end

No avail though. France relatively untroubled in clinging on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Weirdly enough the men's team used to have an almost equally dire record against the Swedes.

We failed to beat them between a 3-1 win in 1968 and a 1-0 victory 43 years later.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England coming off second best in the first half hour ish

Some nice moments in possession but Sweden just look bigger, faster and much better positioned

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How much of a factor is the growing professionalism of the game in England?

I can't claim to follow women's football to any real extent but it feels like Norway and Sweden were teams who were at the forefront of the game who are now taking pastings from England.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like replacing Phil Neville with one of the best managers in the game must have been a big factor.
You beat me to it. The professionalism must help, and my admittedly non-expert view is that the newer generation of players are, or soon will be better than their predecessors. But it's pretty obvious that the new manager has made one heck of a difference.

Howe_zat

Audio File
In hindsight it was a good idea to appoint a championship winning womens' football manager instead of some guy you know

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I feel like replacing Phil Neville with one of the best managers in the game must have been a big factor.
indeed Norway's utter collapse must be at least partly ascribed to keeping the guy in charge who refused to change his plans in five years and forgot to pick a left back (and the professionalization of the English league has helped the other nations too, of the English players only really Bright, Bronze and Kirby stands out in the WSL)

anyway sounds like it's coming home