• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Random comment if another opener makes a claim for a spot. I reckon we should keep Fulton because he's been more consistent and he's damn good in slips.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Unlike Guptill Fulton has scored runs in the opening spot. He has 599 @ 39.93 this year, behind Taylor and Williamson and is ahead of Watling, McCullum and Rutherford (in that order). He's also reached the same number of milestones as Taylor (2 centuries 4 fifties). No-one else in the side has scored more than 1 century.

So yeah, lets drop him.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Unlike Guptill Fulton has scored runs in the opening spot. He has 599 @ 39.93 this year, behind Taylor and Williamson and is ahead of Watling, McCullum and Rutherford (in that order). He's also reached the same number of milestones as Taylor (2 centuries 4 fifties). No-one else in the side has scored more than 1 century.

So yeah, lets drop him.
but but the grass looks so green over there!

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I wasn't actually serious about a Guptill recall btw. Fulton never looks like making runs, even when he is making them.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Had to step away from the forum for a while to collect my thoughts!!, i'm bitter and when i' bitter i'm not a good poster. All credit to NZ thouh they've done the job in style...and for me that's a series win for you right there...so well done.

From our perspective well you can read back this thread and you'll see that we saw this coming...it still makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how our selectors have pretty much assured our demise with their complete and utter disregard for common sense and logical thinking. The Sammy situation is just one of many things that is poisoning our cricket!!..in the whole bloody world we are the only side who has a captain who isn't good enough to make the team..when we won six tests in a row it was down to individual brilliance by our best players such as Roach, Rampaul, Chanders, Bravo, Samuels, Narine etc that got us through. We won DESPITE of Sammy..not because of him...but the tougher the conditions you play in the more his incompetence stands out..and you can't win tests with ten players for long.

Then we have the board who somehow agreed to allow half our side to miss the warm up game in order to play ODI's in india!!..it was a shambles from the very start and that has een reflected in the field..i can take one or two dropped catches..it happens despite being very annoying to see...BUT SEVEN? this tells me Gibbo has lost all control of whats going on..infact in a recn interview he said "there's only so much you can tell the players"..to me that's not the action of a top coach!!..and i hope his position is looked at after this series is done..and if the selection panel and the captain aren't fired then for me we're finished!!..we might aswell just pack it in.

I must admit seeing kiwi fans celebrating (which is perfectly acceptable) is stirring the pot for me!!..my mind is already on June next year and i'm glad NZ will be the first test series we play after this shambles!!..as it will give us an opportunity to set the record straight. ..hopefully the best team will be on the park then and we will see if NZ can deal with our conditions this time. There's no way on earth we fans will accept defeat like this at home..the players know better.

By then i expect to see a different side!!..Gayle may return as much as i don't want him to, Roach and Rampaul sould also be back while middle order batsmen like Fudadin, Carter and Leon Johnson just might make a case for themselves.

Beamer said they haven't scored tons for the A-team but that's not accurate actually as Carter got a ton in India while Fudadin and Johnson go tons vs Sri-lanka at home!!..Fudadin was also impressive in India and should have had a ton having been left standing alone on 86 not out in one of games...all three of them started their careers off slowly but are improving with each game so next year could be a big year for them...Same thing happened with Kirk Edwards until he really stepped up a few years ago.

With the pacers i fully expect Cummins to make his debut next year!!..he would have been perfect for these NZ conditions as he can move the ball both ways but the selectors were too dumb to see that..also expect Holder and Beaton to do well too.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit seeing kiwi fans celebrating (which is perfectly acceptable) is stirring the pot for me!!..my mind is already on June next year and i'm glad NZ will be the first test series we play after his shambles!!..as it will give us an opportunity to set the record straight. ..hopefully the best team will be on the park then and we will see if NZ can deal with our conditions this time. There's no way on earth we fans will accept defeat like this at home..the players know better.
Hi WW, we understand your frustration only too well. New Zealand's tour of South Africa earlier this year was knee-capped by the captaincy change-over disaster, resulting in a similarly insipid display. Hopefully WI will be at full strength for the 3 test series next year, and I'm really looking forward to it if they are. New Zealand will be sending a much better side than the one that toured in 2012: Southee and Boult have both matured significantly since then, and will enjoy another opportunity to bowl with the duke ball. Williamson and Taylor have also improved as batsmen, Watling is a much better keeper batsman than van Wyk and Ryder will hopefully be back by then too. If the Windies can have Roach and Rampaul fit, and maybe establish one of their other young quicks I reckon it should be a brilliant and competitive series between two young and promising sides. :)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Hi WW, we understand your frustration only too well. New Zealand's tour of South Africa earlier this year was knee-capped by the captaincy change-over disaster, resulting in a similarly insipid display. Hopefully WI will be at full strength for the 3 test series next year, and I'm really looking forward to it if they are. New Zealand will be sending a much better side than the one that toured in 2012: Southee and Boult have both matured significantly since then, and will enjoy another opportunity to bowl with the duke ball. Williamson and Taylor have also improved as batsmen, Watling is a much better keeper batsman than van Wyk and Ryder will hopefully be back by then too. If the Windies can have Roach and Rampaul fit, and maybe establish one of their other young quicks I reckon it should be a brilliant and competitive series between two young and promising sides. :)
HI!!..personally..with our tracks being spinner friendly i doubt we'll be playing three quicks, we'll probably play Narine and Shilly with Roach and Rampaul!!..thats our best attack and i'm not sure many teams will cope with that on our turf!!..but we'll see. This and the India series has been a massive wake up call for our cricket and though we're hurting it could very well be a blessing in disguise!!..big changes are sure to be made and most importantly our domestic games needs drastic improvement!!..which is currently being discussed right now.

Maybe i'm naive or it's just wishful thinking but despite the mess we've seen from this series i don't see NZ surviving our spinners in our conditions!!..Shilly has a 10fer vs Australia at home while Narine tormented the NZ batsmen the last time they visited us!!...and when you also have Roach and Rampaul to deal with!!..who imo are every bit as effective as Southee and Boult!!..then the story should look a lot different this time..whatever the case it should make interesting viewing..