• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indian Domestic Season 2014

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
So the West Indies squad to face Ireland have been announced. A much stronger lineup then the one in NZ thank goodness, though we're still minus Pollard and Roach. Interestingly, they've selected Miguel Cummins for ODI's even though Barbados (in their wisdom) didn't include him. I can't wait to watch him. It's also good to see Dwayne Smith back in the T20 setup, he totally deserves his recall.

ODI: Dwayne Bravo (Captain), Darren Bravo, Miguel Cummins, Kirk Edwards, Chris Gayle, Jason Holder, Nikita Miller, Sunil Narine, Kieron Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Marlon Samuels, Darren Sammy, Lendl Simmons

T20: Darren Sammy (Captain), Samuel Badree, Dwayne Bravo, Andre Fletcher, Chris Gayle, Sunil Narine, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Krishmar Santokie, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith.

Slifer

International Captain
Can someone please update me on the fitness of Ravi Rampaul and whether he's physically ready for Test cricket?

One has to imagine that he'd be the best option as 3rd seamer going into the NZ tour of WI. Roach, Holder (or another young seamer), Rampaul, Narine seems like it would be their strongest attack.

I think for Sammy to play Test cricket again he has to enhance his batting to the point where he can bat at least at number 7, because there's no way he's good enough to be a long term 3rd seamer.
Personally, if he's willing to play test cricket, I'd probably pick Dwayne Bravo ahead of Sammy if WI insist on having an allrounder.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Good win for Barbados.

The Barbados selectors and management continues to amaze. Cummins despite not being picked for Barbados makes the Ireland squad and Edwards the odi squad despite the ongoing kit dispute. Good to see the W.I board not swayed by local petty politics and stupidity.

Jonathan Carter has shown he he is one to look at and needs a good 4 day tournament to force his case, likewise with Cummins for Barbados.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah Bim deserved it in the end..although one wonders what would have happened had Polard been there for Trinidad? thought Brathwaite had a good competition having struggled in the limited overs format over the last few years...he's really growing as a batsman and can be another Chanderpaul if he keeps working hard. Holder once again showed his utter class and could be a superstar for WI if he continues to develop.

All in all we saw some good young prospects start to look the part...none more so than young Ronsford Beaton who looks fantastic..Bonners ton was a treat to watch and it was good seeing Keddy Lesporis get his first ton too.

Next year i'd expect our one day competition to have much more games because playing around five each just isn't enough.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What a fantastic win for Ireland achieved against a strong WI team! Would be great to see them take this form into the world T20.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dockrell's International T20 record looks pretty good. Be interesting what he can do in the World Cup.

brockley

International Captain
Any chance for him being picked in the English squad,heard Morgan has been talking to him and Stirling about coming across.

grecian

Any chance for him being picked in the English squad,heard Morgan has been talking to him and Stirling about coming across.
I dunno, he had such an hideous season last year, it's not been something that talked about. Yet as a limited-over bowler, particularly T20 he's certainly one of the better ones in CC.

grecian

Bit of a choke from Ireland there, unlike them really. Just letting the run rate creep up was silly, much better for them to go for it earlier and try to break the stranglehold, might well have got bowled out quickly, but a cooler way to go, I reckon.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well been busy so haven't had time to post much!!..but the first class season kicks off later today and here are the squads for the first rounds!!..

JAMAICA (from): Tamar Lambert (captain), David Bernard Jr (vice captain), Carlton Baugh Jr, Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, John Campbell, Sheldon Cottrell, Andre McCarthy, Jamie Merchant, Horace Miller, Andrew Richardson, Andre Russell, Jerome Taylor

GUYANA (from): Shivnarine Chanderpaul (captain), Christopher Barnwell (vice captain), Ronsford Beaton, Devendra Bishoo, Anthony Bramble, Sewnarine Chattergoon, Narsingh Deonarine, Assad Fudadin, Keon Joseph, Amir Khan, Veerasammy Permaul, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Vishaul Singh

WINDWARD ISLANDS (from): Liam Sebastien (captain), Andre Fletcher (vice captain), Alston Bobb, Johnson Charles, Lindon James, Delorn Johnson, Keddy Lesporis, Mervin Matthew, Nelon Pascal, Kenroy Peters, Dalton Polius, Devon Smith, Tyrone Theophile

BARBADOS (from): Kraigg Brathwaite (captain), Sulieman Benn, Tino Best, Carlos Brathwaite, Rashidi Boucher, Jonathan Carter, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins, Shane Dowrich, Shai Hope, Ashley Nurse, Kevin Stoute, Kenroy Williams

LEEWARD ISLANDS (from): Devon Thomas (captain), Sylvester Joseph (vice captain), Jahmar Hamilton, Montcin Hodge, Alzarri Joseph, Anthony Martin, Mali Richards, Lyndell Richardson, Akeem Saunders, Gavin Tonge, Hayden Walsh, Kelbert Walters, Tonito Willett

COMBINED CAMPUSES & COLLEGES (from): Steven Jacobs (captain), Anthony Alleyne, Ryan Austin, Kyle Corbin, Akeem Dewar, Kavem Hodge, Kevin McClean, Floyd Reifer, Raymon Reifer, Shacaya Thomas, Chadwick Walton, Jomel Warrican, Kesrick Williams
Well there's some interesting names in there!!..one of which happens to be young Azarri Joseph for Leewards who is a 17 year old pacer!!..he played in the warm up games against england the other day and done well!!..people at the ground were very excited about him and if he plays he'd be the youngest pacer in YEARS to make his first class debut in our 4-day competition!!..younger than Roach, Jerome Taylor, Rampaul and Holder who all started around 18.

A few kids in the Guyana squad are interesting aswell!!...and not i'm not talking about Beaton who has a ton of hype around him!!..i'm talking about Vishual Singh and Amir Khan...Vishual is a patient young batsman who spent a few years in the English league cricket season and in one season managed to get a thousand runs!!..at the age of 20/21 and broke Justin Langer's record apparently. So i'm hoping for big things from him this year. Amir Khan is someone i saw a few years back at u19 level!!..he came up the same time as Kraigg Brathwaite and believe me this kid could be a special leg-break bowler!!!...at u19 level he was an absolute monster!!..and he's done well at lub level but the problem is Bishoo has always been in his way as far as te Guyana senior side is concerned!!..but i hope he gets a chance to shine.

Jamaica have a young top order in Campbell, Blackwood and Mccarthy which is probably what cost them the title last year but Blackwood in perticular looks like a great talent in the making!!..very aggressive and can score all over the park!!...also hopefully Taylor will be able stay fit during this competition!!..he finished the 50 over comp in fine form but this will be the big test now.

The CCC have a few decent gems!!..leg-spinner Dewar took three wickets vs England the other day while Corbin got a ton!!..so both should be feeling confident!!..just a shame that useless fool Floyd Reifer is STILL hanging around blocking younger players from playing!!.. 8-)

Lastly it will be interesting to see how Barbados and Winwards do!!..Winwards are without Shillingford who gave them an X-factor last season!!..while Barbados are the defending champs but without Kirk Edwards look a little brittle in the middle order!!..Shai Hope is a talented, teenage batsman so hopefully he will grab his opportunity!!!..They have the best attack though so they should do well.

Trinidad's squad will be out next week when they play..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
WW, do you think Ryan Hinds will be back? He's been cleared of all charges now and vowed to continue his cricketing career. Obviously he has buckleys of playing for the West Indies again but he was a damn good domestic cricketer so I'm a bit surprised to see Barbados not select him straight away.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
WW, do you think Ryan Hinds will be back? He's been cleared of all charges now and vowed to continue his cricketing career. Obviously he has buckleys of playing for the West Indies again but he was a damn good domestic cricketer so I'm a bit surprised to see Barbados not select him straight away.
I very much doubt it!!..seems to have burnt his bridges with the barbados cricket board and they tend to go down the "youth" route these days anyway having brought through the likes of Brathwaite, Holder, Dowrich, Cummings, Boucher etc in recent years.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Anyway a few comments about the first round in the 4day comp

Jamaica won by seven wickets HERE

First innings was a disaster for Guyana as they posted just 117...off-spinner Merchant who got his chance due to Odean Brown being injured and Miller playing for WI took his chance and got decent 4fer...though it was no surprise Guyana struggled as they were missing Chanderpaul, Sarwan and Leon Johnson to injury while young Tage Chanderpaul has only just got back from the u19 world cup.

Jamaica pilled on the runs with Bonner and young opener Campbell getting a 50 on his first class debut...Permaul was the main man for Guyana taking a 5fer...

In Guyana's second innings though an interesting player who i highlighted earlier in this thread stood up to be counted..Vishual Singh...he got a lovely 73 to give Guyana a bit of hope but batsmen kept dropping around him...mainly due to Jerome Taylor having a great spell and claiming a 5fer...Jerome is getting better and better with each game he plays now.

Elsewhere Winwards beat Barbados by nine wickets HERE

It was a shock tbh as Barbados started so well with Brathwaite getting a hard fought 82 but just like his hero Shiv he was left to fight alone in the end....quicky Nelon Pascal claimed a 5fer for himself and they done well despite missing Shillingford.

Winwards replied well with Sebastian and James putting on a huge 100 run partnership.. it was all going well until for some odd reason sebastian decided to declare with just a 39 run lead!!..cummings done the damage again taking a 4fer and continuing his great form from last season..

In the end Sebastian's declaration with vindicated as Barbados fell apart and was all out for 90!!.. Pacers Peters, Johnson and Pascal just had too much for them.. very poor from the champions although from what i remember a similar thing happened last season when they were all out for 50!!..Shilly took them to pieces on a raging turner but they still went on to take the title and got their revenge in the semi-finals.

Lastly Leewards beat CCC HERE

Leewards had a bad start as usual and only managed to post 164 in their first innings...with legspinner Akeem Dewar continuing the good form he showed against England last week in the warm up game...he took a 4fer

CCC responded by getting 202 on the board...good 50s by Thomas and alrounder Raymon Reifer...another leggy Hayden Walsh took a 4fer for Leewards to keep them in the game..

In their second innings it look like i was more of the same as CCC had them 85/5..but young wicket-keeper Jahmar Hamilton..who played for the A-team in india recently came in and played a wonderful knock...getting 119 to give Leewards a decent lead.

CCC tried to fight but in the end lost by 73 runs thanks again to Walsh who claimed another 4fer.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
ahhh...good to know. thanks 4 this post
LOL well here it is :D ...

TRINIDAD SQUAD TO FACE WINWARDS

Elvin Lewis
Adrien Barath
Jason Mohammed
Darren Bravo
Akeal Hossein
Steven Katwaroo (wk)
Imran Khan
Ryad Emrit (c)
Shannon Gabriel
Marlon Richards
kavesh Kantasingh
Yannic Cariah
Good side that!!.especially when you consider the players they are missing..Elvin Lewis reminds me of Warner with how aggressive he is...so it wil be interesting to see how he does...while Barath has just been a sinking ship recently...hope he can rediscover some form here.

Kantasingh is a great left-arm bowler who for some odd reason has never been looked at by the selectors!!..and Richards is a new swing bowler who people are very excited about. Should be a good game which starts tomorrow.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Roach on the road to recovery

Barbados and West Indies fast bowler, Kemar Roach, is just about ready to don the colours of the high-profile teams raring to get back out on the pitch. After being forced to withdraw from the West Indies tour of India last year due to a shoulder injury, Roach has been biding his time at home in Barbados…

“I had a surgery on my shoulder. I had a broken bone and that was repaired in November. I’m still recovering and will be soon back to full fitness, so it is good to come out and get out with the kids and have some fun for a little bit. It’s been a while,” he said.

Noting that he had been healing well, Roach said that he would be making himself available for selection as soon as he was ready to roll again. “The recovery has been going well. I have been doing all of my fitness stuff, all of my therapy. I have been in the gym pretty heavy for the last two weeks. It feels good and hopefully I can be fully fit to perform for Barbados and the West Indies again. It’s up to them to select me, so I am making myself available for the end of this month,” he said.
Link

Great to see Roachy is doing well...he's a world class talent and has been sorely missed,..if he does come back at the end of this month that means he should get some first class games under his belt before the NZ series which is fantastic news.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Been busy!!..haven't had time to update this thread but now i'm around i might aswell give a few snippets!!..

Jamaica= have lost a few matches this season and look much weaker now after losing the title to Barbados last year!!..it's no surprise really seeing as they are without key batsmen Gayle and Samuels plus bowlers Russell and Cotterrell are away...they are having to cope with a young top order and now our pitches have been changed to be more batsmen friendly Nikita Miller has struggled a little. Young opener John Campbell looks a decent prospect and hit a ton on debut!!..

Winwards= have been very classy indeed!!..young middle order batsman and former WI u19 player Sunil Ambris has come in for them recently and has gotten a ton on debut plus two other 50s since!!..one of them being a class 80 odd to help guide Winwards to victory over Jamaica and Sabina. Shillingford's action has now been "cleared" again so he's returned and as usual he's cleaning up!!..took a 10fer first game and more wickets in the second game he played...while Keon Peters, Delorn Johnson and Nelon Pascal has provided the pace to give Winwards a really dangerous attack this season.

Leewards= Well Powell has come in and hit three big 50s!!..it's a crime how he hasn't got a ton yet...young leggy Hayden Walsh has also impressed as has A-team batsman Jahmar Hamilton who has a ton to his name!!..but that's where it ends really..just not enough quality in the batting department to compete.

Trinidad= Well they have been hit the hardest by the t20 world cup being played now but it's not bothered them at all!!..Akeel Hosain first made headline by taking 11 wickets in a game vs Barbados and then next game he got a ton!!..fantastic prospect he is...Gabriel has come back and looks ok now after his horror tours for WI last year...Barath continues to struggle while youngsters Katwaroo and Elvin Lewis have impressed in spurts...oh and Pollard is back for them now too.

Guyana= been a disaster for them really...Sarwan isn't fit enough to play, Chanders has left to go and play for Derbyshire after two poor outings from him and Beaton has been injured...they have unearthed a decent quicky named Raun Johnson though and Permaul is the top wicket taker this year...Bishoo has been rather poor though and has been dropped from the team for the next game on friday...young chanderpaul continues to toil at the top of the order...just hasn't been able to get that first 50 yet despite getting close on a few occasions.

CCC= They've lost a few heavily but they've still managed to unearth a very classy batsman indeed..Jamaican Shacaya Thomas has been sensational...hitting two tons and two 50s in four games...while Raymon Reifer has been decent with bat and ball and Chadwick Walton cotinues to make runs.

Barbados= Look dominant right now...Brathwaite has hit three big scores in the 80s and 90s but like Powell just hasn't converted yet..Kirk Edwards has come back into the team and has been class...hitting two easy tons. Benn and Nurse have been very dangerous with their spin and Carlos Brathwaite..who hit a ton himself along with Nurse!!..has taken some wickets too.

All in all things are looking up imo!!..some very talented youngsters have emerged this season and it bodes well for the future with our domestic system set to change this year!!..it's gonna be home and away fixtures now and the season will last for 5 months!!..so in essence our game will be in line with most of our rivals around the world which is fantastic to see.