• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm reasonably happy with the 11 we've picked. I like the inclusion of Shaun Marsh. I'm a big George Bailey fan but I'm not surprised he didn't make the team, if it were an Aussie A OD side I would be picking him.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Personally, I'm a bit ticked off that Starc is in that team but Copeland isn't. Starc deafinitely wouldn't be in my team but Copeland would for sure. Gun that Cameron and George are playing though. I don't know about both O'Keefe and Smith playing in the A line-up, they could of just played an extra pace bowler or even Mcdonald?

Klinger or Cowan will come in to replace Marsh if injured. I guess George Bailey can consider himself a tad unlucky because he did have a solid series with the bat against Sri Lanka A this year.

Can't wait! :)

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think they'll play Shahzad in this game and send the test pace attack to Brisbane,the batting won't be weakened with Bresnan and Shahzad both all rounders either.Still think Shahzad would have been a better option in the squad than both Bresnan and Tremlett due to his banana reverse swing which would be very useful if he was in a test.
I think Shahzad's a much better bowler than Bresnan, but due to his extra pace and accuracy, rather than this reverse swing of Shahzad's that I've heard so much about but never really seen.

I can see why Bresnan was picked, as a #7 batting he represents a radical change of tactics if it all goes ****-up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Shahzad's a much better bowler than Bresnan, but due to his extra pace and accuracy, rather than this reverse swing of Shahzad's that I've heard so much about but never really seen.

I can see why Bresnan was picked, as a #7 batting he represents a radical change of tactics if it all goes ****-up.
Oh he has the extra pace anyway but the reverse he was getting in England last summer was amazing and he had great control of it.If nothing is happening on a hot dry afternoon in Australia then who is more likely to do damage if it starts reversing out of Tremlett,Bresnan or Shahzad?

I think we missed a trick not picking him.Time will tell.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
West End Redbacks v England
Tour Match, 11 – 13 November 2010, Adelaide Oval
Play starts at 10.30am

Squad:

Michael Klinger (captain)
Aiden Blizzard
Ben Edmondson
Callum Ferguson
Peter George
Jake Haberfield
Daniel Harris
Tim Lang
Graham Manou
Tom Moffat
Aaron O’Brien
James Smith

Some new faces in that squad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
West End Redbacks v England
Tour Match, 11 – 13 November 2010, Adelaide Oval
Play starts at 10.30am

Squad:

Michael Klinger (captain)
Aiden Blizzard
Ben Edmondson
Callum Ferguson
Peter George
Jake Haberfield
Daniel Harris
Tim Lang
Graham Manou
Tom Moffat
Aaron O’Brien
James Smith

Some new faces in that squad.
Lang's from NSW. Absolute giant of a man; right arm medium quick. Uses his height pretty well but is very average apart from that.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can't help but think that the batting lineup for the Australia A game will be very tough to get out, in places it's just as good as the first choice lineup. Don't the Steves Smith and O'Keefe have very good batting records in shield cricket? Compare the middle of

White
Paine
Smith
O'Keefe

to

Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson

And that's not even including Ferguson, Khawaja and Hughes, who are bashing on the doors to be let in. It's going to be a very, very tough game for England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Personally, I'm a bit ticked off that Starc is in that team but Copeland isn't. Starc deafinitely wouldn't be in my team but Copeland would for sure. Gun that Cameron and George are playing though. I don't know about both O'Keefe and Smith playing in the A line-up, they could of just played an extra pace bowler or even Mcdonald?

Klinger or Cowan will come in to replace Marsh if injured. I guess George Bailey can consider himself a tad unlucky because he did have a solid series with the bat against Sri Lanka A this year.

Can't wait! :)
Never seen Copeland and Starc only once, but I was impressed with the latter. Swung it at a brisk pace and his accuracy looked impressive for a bloke with a slightly slingy action.

Anyway, if Copeland's that much better than Starc he must be pretty bloody good.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't know about both O'Keefe and Smith playing in the A line-up, they could of just played an extra pace bowler or even Mcdonald?
That's a point. Aussies: What exactly happened to McDonald? I saw him playing for Leicestershire and he was outstanding. Is he not even on the radar any more?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't help but think that the batting lineup for the Australia A game will be very tough to get out, in places it's just as good as the first choice lineup. Don't the Steves Smith and O'Keefe have very good batting records in shield cricket? Compare the middle of

White
Paine
Smith
O'Keefe

to

Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson

And that's not even including Ferguson, Khawaja and Hughes, who are bashing on the doors to be let in. It's going to be a very, very tough game for England.
Certainly will be. Probably tougher than the team we'll face in the Ashes, though, so doesn't really have any bearing. :ph34r:

howardj

International Coach
Against a 2nd string Pom attack and on the flattest wicket in the country, you almost slide down the pecking order if you're Hughes, Smith, Fergsuson, Usman etc and you don't get runs in the Australia A game.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never seen Copeland and Starc only once, but I was impressed with the latter. Swung it at a brisk pace and his accuracy looked impressive for a bloke with a slightly slingy action.

Anyway, if Copeland's that much better than Starc he must be pretty bloody good.
Haven't seen him bowl, but his record is amazing; has take 45 wickets in 7 FC games compared to Starc's 25 from 10. Took 8/92 on debut as well.

pup11

International Coach
Not quite sure why Bailey's non-selection is a howler. He's performed no better than any of the middle order batsmen selected, and is really only on par with Ferguson, who was always going to be picked. Ferguson has at least got a bit of a claim to fame in the International arena in 50 over cricket, Bailey has never really done anything much extraordinary.
I mean c'mon Bailey had a pretty solid last season and did very well for the A team against the Lankans, and if I'm not wrong he was even the captain of that side.
He has had a subdued start to this season, but I fail to see how he can completly vanish from the radar like this, from the way I look at it the Australian selectors only tend to pick guys who might have scored a few runs or taken a few wickets, a week or two prior to the selection of the team, any performances prior to that period obviously don't mean nothing to them, which is just sad and in a way its reflects in the way we have been performing off late.

pup11

International Coach
Haven't seen him bowl, but his record is amazing; has take 45 wickets in 7 FC games compared to Starc's 25 from 10. Took 8/92 on debut as well.
I believe that domestic bowling stats of most of the quicks in Australia are way too flattering for them, most of these domestic pitches these days seem to be somewhat bowler friendly and are nothing like the pitches we have for international cricket.
So if we start picking guys based on these stats alone, then at the international level most of them would find themselves to be kind of out of place.

pup11

International Coach
Be this the case, how **** must Starc have bowled to average 35? ;)
He's only 20 though and there still a long way to go for him, but he has clearly got all the tools to become a very good fast bowler.
Copeland on the other hand is a medium pacer who just runs in and puts the ball in the right areas and allows the pitch to do the rest, don't think bowlers like these have much of a chance on unresponsive international pitches.

Ruckus

International Captain
I believe that domestic bowling stats of most of the quicks in Australia are way too flattering for them, most of these domestic pitches these days seem to be somewhat bowler friendly and are nothing like the pitches we have for international cricket.
So if we start picking guys based on these stats alone, then at the international level most of them would find themselves to be kind of out of place.
I don't know about that. If you can swing the ball, England/NZ are generally far superior for fast bowlers than Aus. SA has similiar qualities to most Oz pitches - good bounce etc. But the subcontinent would surely be worse than Aus pitches for fast bowlers. So overall I would think disadvantages and advantages certain pitches give bowlers would pretty much average out. Your argument also raises the question of why many Aus fast bowlers have almost identical (or better) test records to domestic records. Bollinger, Johnson, Harris, Hilfenhaus, Siddle etc.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Copeland on the other hand is a medium pacer who just runs in and puts the ball in the right areas and allows the pitch to do the rest, don't think bowlers like these have much of a chance on unresponsive international pitches.
:-O

Have you seen him bowl? What a ridiculously harsh assessment.