• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think any sports should be dropped ever again. But spicing up walking by giving everyone an inhumane amount of laxatives? That's a goer.

Rhymthic gymnastics is already good tbf, the scoring may be the hard thing for people to understand. Same with stuff like skateboarding. They should throw AR **** on the screen to show how many points. How difficult and what a move is worth.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah not against the abovementioned sports but unless breakdancing is scored similar to skateboarding/bmx/etc (which feels like it’d take away from the beauty of that art) I think I draw the line there.

Maybe I just don’t have a good enough appreciation for it though.

Burgey

So looking back, this actually turned out to be a lot less **** than I feared it would be. The track and field events were a little soulless because that was the one stadium where the spectating athletes couldn't create a real atmosphere but pretty much everything else was great.
From a purely selfish pov, it was a very good distraction through two weeks of the lock down.

Chubb

International Regular
As I said earlier in the thread I would like to see the Modern Pentathlon either replace the horse bit or just get dropped completely. Watching Annika Schleu and her coach beat the crap out of that poor horse was the worst moment of the games for me, and I don't even like horses or usually have any interest in them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I wasn't really interested in this at all going in, but actually ended up watching quite a lot and really enjoying it. Good stuff tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm a little agnostic about cricket going in, whatever the format.

I was broadly in favour before Rugby 7s went in, from a "spreading the gospel" point of view, but that doesn't seem to have done much to broaden its sport's appeal beyond its traditional heartlands.

Maybe T20 or even T10 is closer to quote-unquote "real" cricket than 7s is to real union though.

I think with cricket having such a stranglehold on the sporting public in the subcontinent and the sheer amount of viewers that potentially gives the Olympics that some format will go in sooner or later.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cricket being in the Commonwealth Games answers a lot of questions on organising a tournament as well. It'll probably get a go sooner or later.

Personally if I were to name my least favourite olympic sport it's boxing, which I just find terrible to watch, mostly because it's grim but also because I can't follow the scoring which makes the drama of it almost nonexistant. Most combat sports I can get into and follow, the automatic scoring in taekwondo for example does a great job of letting you follow the 'story' of the match.

But just because I don't like it is a pretty poor reason to chop it tbh. Part of the great thing about the olympics is watching a sport you normally wouldn't, try to get to grips with how it works and then cheer on your guy. If we replaced all the sports with stuff I watch elsewhere then a lot of the charm goes.

The only good general rule I've read is that the Olympics should be the peak of the sports in it, with the best athletes competing. Whether cricket would get that I'm not sure. Football is the only sport that definitely doesn't and so we wouldn't lose anything by scrapping it.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Cricket being in the Commonwealth Games answers a lot of questions on organising a tournament as well. It'll probably get a go sooner or later.

Personally if I were to name my least favourite olympic sport it's boxing, which I just find terrible to watch, mostly because it's grim but also because I can't follow the scoring which makes the drama of it almost nonexistant. Most combat sports I can get into and follow, the automatic scoring in taekwondo for example does a great job of letting you follow the 'story' of the match.

But just because I don't like it is a pretty poor reason to chop it tbh. Part of the great thing about the olympics is watching a sport you normally wouldn't, try to get to grips with how it works and then cheer on your guy. If we replaced all the sports with stuff I watch elsewhere then a lot of the charm goes.

The only good general rule I've read is that the Olympics should be the peak of the sports in it, with the best athletes competing. Whether cricket would get that I'm not sure. Football is the only sport that definitely doesn't and so we wouldn't lose anything by scrapping it.
I think you can make a pretty fair argument wrt cricket that it would be clearly the pinnacle of whatever format they decide to include. An Olympic gold medal would IMO be much more prestigious than a semi-anonymous World T20, especially as it's held so often. A bit like the situation with the rugby 7s, which has been highly successful from all reports both as a competition but also attracting new people to the sport.

I'd definitely watch T10s if they showed up at the Olympics, and I'd probably be less cynical about it than I am about most short-form cricket these days.

I'm a little agnostic about cricket going in, whatever the format.

I was broadly in favour before Rugby 7s went in, from a "spreading the gospel" point of view, but that doesn't seem to have done much to broaden its sport's appeal beyond its traditional heartlands.

Maybe T20 or even T10 is closer to quote-unquote "real" cricket than 7s is to real union though.

I think with cricket having such a stranglehold on the sporting public in the subcontinent and the sheer amount of viewers that potentially gives the Olympics that some format will go in sooner or later.
Maybe anecdotal but Rugby 7s genuinely seems to have caught a lot of attention in the US where it wouldn't have before. It's early days; these things can't be judged on five years and two attempts.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The problem I have with T10 is that it is almost unfair to play it 11 a side. If they made it 7/8 a side now though, that would be fun.

flibbertyjibber

In many ways the Olympics is probably the best time to watch boxing tbf. Fair enough if it's not for you ofc, but it's nice to be able to watch it a bit without having to endure all the stupid pomp and glitz of professional fights.
Only trouble is you have to put up with Ronald McIntosh who has to be the worst commentator of all.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Agree walking needs to be dropped. It is conceptually ****ed in the head.

'Look! I'm walking'
'Look! I'm walking faster'
'Look! I'm... jogging, oh ****'

If there is an event for walking the winner should be who comes last because the concept of walking involves NOT being on a rush.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree walking needs to be dropped. It is conceptually ****ed in the head.

'Look! I'm walking'
'Look! I'm walking faster'
'Look! I'm... jogging, oh ****'

If there is an event for walking the winner should be who comes last because the concept of walking involves NOT being on a rush.
If there was no COVID I would have held the race in Shibuya station at rush hour where you have to catch your train on time.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Surely if your complaint is too many varieties of something swimming is first on the chopping block.
I do think it's silly to have backstroke, but no backrun. butterfly but no sack race. Breaststroke in track and field would be a mixed event.
And freestyle should be whatever you want. It's meant to be free. If you want to dolphin it up under water, so be it.