• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe anecdotal but Rugby 7s genuinely seems to have caught a lot of attention in the US where it wouldn't have before. It's early days; these things can't be judged on five years and two attempts.
I thought 7's was at least kinda known there prior to the Olympics? Granted you probably know better than I do.

The sports where the Olympics clearly isn't the pinnacle are soccer, tennis and golf. Can arguably make a case for stuff like baseball and basketball, but then again the pinnacle of those sports are club competitions. Isn't Olympic boxing fully amateur as well? I'd say for T10/20 cricket an Olympic gold would feel better than the World T20 or whatever, though that may change over time.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought 7's was at least kinda known there prior to the Olympics? Granted you probably know better than I do.
Going by what I've read on Twitter, the a lot of Americans were very impressed by the matches, particularly those new to the sport.

Burgey

I'd like to see a pared-down version of the Olympics between the main Games where anything which involves mechanical or biological assistance is dropped, along with any sports where judging is involved. You run, jump, swim, fight and throw stuff. That's it. No rowing, cycling, horses, pole vault, fencing etc.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I'd like to see a pared-down version of the Olympics between the main Games where anything which involves mechanical or biological assistance is dropped, along with any sports where judging is involved. You run, jump, swim, fight and throw stuff. That's it. No rowing, cycling, horses, pole vault, fencing etc.
c'mon man at least make the agenda a lil less obvious here

Burgey

That will be the ultimate pay day, if cyclists just disappeared altogether. A scourge on the 21st century.

I may be prepared to compromise and allow the velodrome if it means I never have to see some flaccid 50 something bloke in lycra polluting the streets of Sydney by taking up an entire lane of traffic while doing 25kph. **** sport. **** people.

Burgey

On reflection, I guess the reduced version I was talking about would pretty much end up being just a glorified athletics and swimming championships, so probably not enough there for a full games program.

Teja.

Global Moderator
One thing in favour of short form cricket at the Olympics is that it would be give women’s cricket a massive boost because a gold medal being on line would incentivise watchers to be a lot more interested in the game.

I’d assume it would also be good for associate nations to attempt to cash in on the variance and try to get a top 3 medal slot as their ticket of entry into mainstream cricket.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
As long as the running events dispense with the short pointless sprints then I am all for it :ph34r: :ph34r:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That will be the ultimate pay day, if cyclists just disappeared altogether. A scourge on the 21st century.

I may be prepared to compromise and allow the velodrome if it means I never have to see some flaccid 50 something bloke in lycra polluting the streets of Sydney by taking up an entire lane of traffic while doing 25kph. **** sport. **** people.
Get them off the roads. Build special paths to segregate out those "bike people". Make them special places to store their accursed vehicles so they don't leave them on the footpath. Build more shower facilities so they don't stink up our workplaces.

Chubb

International Regular
That article was Orwellian in its dodging of the circumstances of her death. Assuming it was mental health related. Any way you slice it, she was way too young :(
that’s how these things get reported in NZ. There’s a general prohibition about discussing people taking their own lives followed by the media and police. It is debatable, and is debated, if that serves the intended purpose. EG https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/8014...aws-due-to-change-heres-what-you-need-to-know