• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
that khawaja shot just has no words. "WTF, swann turns it? Thought I could just blast through the line off a length"

Good to see superClarke back in business, as well as Rogers making another mark.
It was a terrible shot. The decision only put a full stop on the whole thing.

Riggins

International Captain
smithy did tweet that his champion horse won it's first race. I guess that should have been a sign of his form.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Have said a few times, Ritchie Benaud was a part-time bowler for the first 8 years of his Test career so there's precedent for a bloke becoming a world-class bowler after years of being a mid/lower-order bat. Again, depends on what the team needs, what Smith wants out of the game, etc.
Yeah, this. Afridi for instance....he's a far better bowler now than when he started out. Smith isn't a fool like him when it comes to batting either.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't beat yourself up mate, I'm sure she looked lovely when you took her home from the pub last night.
Must admit I did feel a little queasy when I woke up next to your Mother this morning.......didn't lose my breakfast until after I checked cricinfo though :p

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Yeah, this. Afridi for instance....he's a far better bowler now than when he started out. Smith isn't a fool like him when it comes to batting either.
if he can keep playing gutsy innings down the order I think he has a future even without his bowling in tests. In limited overs I see his bowling being more of a big advantage. If he keeps Maxwell out of the selectors minds I don't care what he does I'll like him.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Daniel Salpietro can expect a phone-call from his Prahran club team-mate Chris Rogers. When Rogers was dismissed lbw for 84 on the first day at Old Trafford, it came the next ball after a prolonged battle to stop movement in the pavilion near the sightscreen.

Such distractions can affect the concentration of a batsman, and Rogers said after play he knew Salpietro was involved. "These things crop up every now and again," Rogers said. "I'll make a phone call because I know the guy who was up there. I'm not going to blame him. I think. Much."

Danny!

Top_Cat

Tangentially related at best and old, but superbly written: Kimber on Clarke.
Can honestly say I've never seen this ocker enmity towards Clarke that gets spoken of a lot. Mind you, when you consider the nature of a lot SA's athletes (and maybe SA in general :ph34r:), maybe it's not much of a surprise but yeah, can honestly say I've never heard anyone say the flashiness bothered them.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Can honestly say I've never seen this ocker enmity towards Clarke that gets spoken of a lot. Mind you, when you consider the nature of a lot SA's athletes (and maybe SA in general :ph34r:), maybe it's not much of a surprise but yeah, can honestly say I've never heard anyone say the flashiness bothered them.
It's died down a bit since everybody sat down and looked up to him with the same wide-eyed "do something!" learned helplessness that they did with Allan Border, but in the height of the Lara days it was absolutely venomous. Most of the press (and us) took Katich's side after he throttled him, he was derided as soft and whipped when he bunked off a Test to tell Ms. Bingle she was out of line and he was booed on his captaincy debut. I was watching TV and it was completely discernible.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame that the umpiring is overshadowing a good day's play but Khawaja's dismissal and the 2 Smith non-lbws were really poor decisions

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I made a promise to myself before the series began that I would not get my hopes up or get too excited at anything that Australia do. That being said, I can't help but feel as though the past day could be absolutely pivotal in the context of the 10-match series. Momentum is such a big thing in cricket, and with Clarke leading from the front and Australia building some confidence it could go a long way. The first 2 sessions are going to be very interesting, to see whether Australia can push on and set a total of 500+ or collapse before lunch.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Would cap it off nicely if Warner made 120* off 80 balls and Clarke declared an hour after lunch 4/550

Daemon

I knew the youtube comments would be bad. Then I went and read them anyway.

Why do I do this to myself?
this was quality though

Rubeus Hagrid 2 hours ago
****ing stupid cheating poms.
Reply · Vote Up Vote Down

Krishna Tharun
Krishna Tharun 2 hours ago
I thought you were British
Reply · 6 Vote Up Vote Down in reply to Rubeus Hagrid

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's died down a bit since everybody sat down and looked up to him with the same wide-eyed "do something!" learned helplessness that they did with Allan Border, but in the height of the Lara days it was absolutely venomous. Most of the press (and us) took Katich's side after he throttled him, he was derided as soft and whipped when he bunked off a Test to tell Ms. Bingle she was out of line and he was booed on his captaincy debut. I was watching TV and it was completely discernible.
Did he actually miss a Test though? IIRC he flew back to Australia, dumped his missus then flew back and scored a ton.