• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** The Olympics is **** Thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The lowlight of the Lolympics is that it's relegated the footy to a digital channel which isn't on my TV for some stupid reason :@

Thankfully it's just the Goosters vs the Dragqueens.

Ruckus

International Captain
Australia doing so badly is the highlight of the Olympics for me. I know we have the rivalry but thought it might be a bit more difficult to beat them in the medals table.
I for one like it. Am hoping it might dull the obsession with the Olympics for us, and shift the focus towards putting money into more worthwhile causes. Or, alternatively it will mean the government will put in more money next time around. #notveryoptimistic

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I for one like it. Am hoping it might dull the obsession with the Olympics for us, and shift the focus towards putting money into more worthwhile causes. Or, alternatively it will mean the government will put in more money next time around. #notveryoptimistic
Your second sentence is more likely. There has been a pretty big backlash from many people about Australia's poor performance, and this will no doubt result in more money being spent on it.

Ridiculous. They have to strike the right balance, and the fact swimming are having a whinge about the money they get allocated is a ****ing joke.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it seems like a lot of our top swimmers (and bike riders and so on) are asthmatic. perhaps we should consider some sort of way to infect upwards of 75% of our children with asthma

plus if we do that those kids will probably stay doing that sport for a lot longer than the kid who does swimming cause thorpey won a gold medal

my genius scares even me. except i know nothing about asthma whatsoever. is it possible to make children suffer asthma? will suffering from asthma make them do sport? whatever. makes more sense than 40 million a gold medal or w/ever

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The head of the Sports Commission was on the radio this morning and said there has been more than enough cash tipped into the Olympic team this time around.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia doing so badly is the highlight of the Olympics for me. I know we have the rivalry but thought it might be a bit more difficult to beat them in the medals table.
As I've said before, with few exceptions (Magnussen, relay, one of the rowing crews, women's basketball, etc), Oz really havent underperformed as such - expecting Jones, Rice, etc to win was about as realistic as expecting Hewitt to do the same in the tennis

Had lots of people in finals but very few were medal favourites and unfortunately havent been great in the crunch

If anything, what has hurt Oz has been that we havent had a surprise winner that has suddenly come of age in the Olympics

This has happened like clockwork previously but hasnt happened here for whatever reason

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, swimming usually carries the Olympics for us, with a cycling and rowing here and there, plus a couple of surprises.

Johnners

We're usually good for about 5 swimming golds, so only picking up 1 (womens 4x100 medley relay is a massive chance again tonight though) makes a huge difference to the tally.

Still think we can hit at least 7/8 overall though. Will hopefully snare 2/3 tonight between the Swimming, Rowing & Mitchell Watt who is at least a medal chance in the Long Jump (apparently). After that we might pick up 1 or 2 in the sailing, hopefully at least 1 of the Hockey golds, Pearson in the 100m Hurdles, and imo Hewitt/Stosur are a chance in the mixed doubles.

Johnners

We're usually good for about 5 swimming golds, so only picking up 1 (womens 4x100 medley relay is a massive chance again tonight though) makes a huge difference to the tally.

Still think we can hit at least 7/8 overall though. Will hopefully snare 2/3 tonight between the Swimming, Rowing & Mitchell Watt who is at least a medal chance in the Long Jump (apparently). After that we might pick up 1 or 2 in the sailing, hopefully at least 1 of the Hockey golds, Pearson in the 100m Hurdles, and imo Hewitt/Stosur are a chance in the mixed doubles.
Jinx ftw

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Your second sentence is more likely. There has been a pretty big backlash from many people about Australia's poor performance, and this will no doubt result in more money being spent on it.

Ridiculous. They have to strike the right balance, and the fact swimming are having a whinge about the money they get allocated is a ****ing joke.
Yeah unfortunately I think you're probably right here. The decline needed to be slow and steady. The failure has been a little bit too spectacular despite the fact we've won a ton of silver.

Ruckus

International Captain
The answer is clearly more public funds, because, y'know, James Magnussen would have been able to get over the line by that extra 0.01 seconds had he been given more pay.

But seriously, I reckon the lack of gold this olympics is just a combination of a few things, but I doubt money is one of them. Given most of our gold comes from swimming, and our squad this time round was made up of arrogant ****s, injured ****s and has-been ****s, it's not that surprising. Add to that some near misses (sometimes things just don't go your way in sport where the margins are so small), plus the fact swimming is far stronger in other countries that before, and you can end up with a lot of silver and no gold.