• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Vekic controversy shows him up as a vulgar jerk but I haven't heard any accusations that he physically assaults women (which is how I take your comment to mean). If it was so then the press here would burn him but they haven't. Can you say what are the stories that you've heard about him?
Well this story basically, the accusations have been made before, just they decided to prosecute now. Hey it is all she said, he said, but like with Zverev I think I am happy to not go full stan. Particularly if their general attitude to women tends to stink.

I don't necasarily buy the press would burn them either, the fact that these allegations have been around, and it now seems to have come as a shock to all of you, is putting the lie to that.

Hey I have no idea if it is true, but yeah know just in case I will support the guy who doesn't have these accusations against them, and doesn't behave like an immature fratboy at nearly 30.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I too am a bit surprised shady slims a fan of Kyrgios. Seems a bit dare I say... Contrarian for a guy who's pretty morally consistent normally. Kygrios just seems incredibly rude and unpleasant to me. I've met enough arrogant Aussies with inflated egos to basically recognise and hate them on sight now. Tennis isn't WWE, there's someone with real feelings on the receiving end being affected when Kyrgios starts his behaviour up, and they're often trying to mind their own business

The journalist asking asking him about the dress code stuff was incredibly annoying too and disingenuous though I guess. Journalists in general are annoying though am I right fellas

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I too am a bit surprised shady slims a fan of Kyrgios. Seems a bit dare I say... Contrarian for a guy who's pretty morally consistent normally. Kygrios just seems incredibly rude and unpleasant to me. I've met enough arrogant Aussies with inflated egos to basically hate them on sight now

The journalist asking asking him about the dress code stuff was incredibly annoying too and disingenuous though I guess. Journalists in general are annoying though am I right fellas
I haven't watched the clip, but I've long held the view that tennis journalists are the worst of the lot. Normally toe-curlingly obsequious, so I've no idea what this one thought he was doing.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I haven't watched the clip, but I've long held the view that tennis journalists are the worst of the lot. Normally toe-curlingly obsequious, so I've no idea what this one thought he was doing.
tennis journos do feel a lot like royal courtiers at times don't they

either that or those who at hearts are just forum trolls like us

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was pondering McEnroe, who cropped up earlier in this discussion, and how he might behave if he was playing today. His behaviour was often appalling, but, as it was generally over line calls, I don't know whether Hawkeye would remove that particular point of conflict. Perhaps he'd still have found some thing to argue about.

I remember there was a widespread feeling that him winning Wimbledon would be the end of the world as we knew it. In the event, the world did keep turning after he won it in 1981, despite him beating the impeccably behaved Borg in the final. Mind you, McEnroe did have the sense to lose his first appearance in the final, in 1980, also to Borg. I think that was the one with the classic tie-break, maybe at the end of the 4th set. And he behaved OK, so a relieved nation took him to their hearts and weren't unduly bothered when he won it 12 months later.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
norrie made it through but can't see him getting past djokovic...the other semi should be between kyrgios and nadal, more difficult to predict that...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
hope one of halep or jabeur win on the women's side...wouldn't complain if anisimova got it done...

Niall

International Coach
norrie made it through but can't see him getting past djokovic...the other semi should be between kyrgios and nadal, more difficult to predict that...

Fritz has been pretty good recently tbf and did beat an admittingly crippled Nadal a few months ago.

I was looking forward to a potential Nadal Kyrgios semi, but with these stories about Nick,,,yuck although obviously Garin in a Wimbledon semi final is a horrific thought.

On the ladies, Halep/Anisimova v Jabeur final please.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fritz has been pretty good recently tbf and did beat an admittingly crippled Nadal a few months ago.
fritz has been playing well but beating nadal in a best of five at a major, i don't know if he is ready for that...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
look, i can't talk about how he's treated by the average english journalist on the ground rather than the flop from the cap clip, but this is the sort of thing he has to deal with every day by our media

Yeah, that's poor stuff, no question. tbh I misunderstood your previous post as referring to anyone wanting him to lose, which obviously includes a few of us here on CW. I did think that particular take was probably out of character and maybe not what you actually meant, but that's why I replied as I did.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah, that's poor stuff, no question. tbh I misunderstood your previous post as referring to anyone wanting him to lose, which obviously includes a few of us here on CW. I did think that particular take was probably out of character and maybe not what you actually meant, but that's why I replied as I did.
nah fair enough fair enough my bad

in australia there's a whole nick kyrgios rage media economy which is just, frankly, unbearable, it seems they almost go around looking to pick fights with him to create grist for the mill. though i do see on the news this morning he's been charged with common assault - probably defending a gay bloke from a ginger english cricketer and his mate

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
nah fair enough fair enough my bad

in australia there's a whole nick kyrgios rage media economy which is just, frankly, unbearable, it seems they almost go around looking to pick fights with him to create grist for the mill. though i do see on the news this morning he's been charged with common assault - probably defending a gay bloke from a ginger english cricketer and his mate
He loves the attention though

Son Of Coco

He loves the attention though
He appears to have a love/hate relationship with it. As he does with many things.

I didn't get the big 'tanking' furore in his last match though. I guess it's just another example of a media without an original thought to share between them piling on, but surely it only matters if he loses? Can you be accused of tanking when you go on to win the match? It's a bit weird.

the big bambino

International Captain
Not sure of the circumstances for the Kyrgios match but deliberately tanking a set as a strategy has some pedigree. The tours in the early days of pro tennis were pretty hectic and players like Tilden used to give up a set to conserve energy for the decider.