• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Niall

International Coach
Regarding his talent, I think at times he can be overrated, he's not done much in slams at all for a long time and its not impossible he loses later, his opponent is a real up and comer.

However, he v Nadal semi final would be absolute box office wouldn't it? We probably get ADM v Nadal instead ?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kyrgios is obviously a complicated unit

My wife and I have met him a couple of times and he’s a really nice guy off the court

Not that this is saying much but Tomic is an A grade douchebag in comparison (to basically everyone)

Many years ago, I was working in a hotel where McEnroe was staying & he was also an absolute gentleman to everyone

Went out & got defaulted a couple of days later:laugh:

the big bambino

International Captain
Tsitsipas has a reputation for taking the mick when it comes to toilet breaks , Murray and the US Open were fuming with him the other year. I think he done something similar to Zverev also so he may be a berk and he hitting the ball into the crowd wasn't cool whatsoever.

Nick is clearly a berk but he is undeniably compelling , even if most of the time you dislike him. Compare him to players like Ruud, Norrie who are talented etc, but have no presence then yeah lets go Nick.

I do think he is going to get disqualified from a match from an umpire because he is constantly pushing it.
His tennis yes but not the behaviour. I think the latter makes him trash to watch and stops him delivering his best game consistently, which is something special and well worth primetime.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kyrgios is obviously a complicated unit

My wife and I have met him a couple of times and he’s a really nice guy off the court

Not that this is saying much but Tomic is an A grade douchebag in comparison (to basically everyone)

Many years ago, I was working in a hotel where McEnroe was staying & he was also an absolute gentleman to everyone

Went out & got defaulted a couple of days later:laugh:
For a moment I thought that the highlighted word was a typo then I realised that it probably wasn't.

Interesting comparison with McEnroe. Was the default circa 1990? I remember it happening in Australia around then and wondering what on earth he must have done as I don't think he had actually been defaulted before, despite everything that he'd done on court over the years. I quite liked the guy actually. Rightly or wrongly, I thought his outbursts were down to lack of self-control rather than tactical. Even then, when he was interviewed, I found him likeable enough; more so than Connors around the same time, and far more so than Kygios nowadays.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nick is clearly a berk but he is undeniably compelling , even if most of the time you dislike him. Compare him to players like Ruud, Norrie who are talented etc, but have no presence then yeah lets go Nick.

I do think he is going to get disqualified from a match from an umpire because he is constantly pushing it.
Eye of the beholder and all that, but I really don't find Kyrgios compelling. Quite the opposite. And one of his particularly unattractive traits is his insistence that somehow tennis needs his behaviour to attract spectators. Actually matches like Sinner vs Alcaraz yesterday re far more watchable. And, over the years, I've never found guys like Borg, Edberg, Sampras and Federer lacking presence due to never saying a word on court.

I hope your final point is correct, but I'm not holding my breath. Historically, the tennis authorities have rarely had the balls to deal with this sort of thing. The McEnroe default that Social mentioned happened after he'd been playing for about 12 years.

social

For a moment I thought that the highlighted word was a typo then I realised that it probably wasn't.

Interesting comparison with McEnroe. Was the default circa 1990? I remember it happening in Australia around then and wondering what on earth he must have done as I don't think he had actually been defaulted before, despite everything that he'd done on court over the years. I quite liked the guy actually. Rightly or wrongly, I thought his outbursts were down to lack of self-control rather than tactical. Even then, when he was interviewed, I found him likeable enough; more so than Connors around the same time, and far more so than Kygios nowadays.
Around that time

He was thrown out of Australian Open

social

Eye of the beholder and all that, but I really don't find Kyrgios compelling. Quite the opposite. And one of his particularly unattractive traits is his insistence that somehow tennis needs his behaviour to attract spectators. Actually matches like Sinner vs Alcaraz yesterday re far more watchable. And, over the years, I've never found guys like Borg, Edberg, Sampras and Federer lacking presence due to never saying a word on court.

I hope your final point is correct, but I'm not holding my breath. Historically, the tennis authorities have rarely had the balls to deal with this sort of thing. The McEnroe default that Social mentioned happened after he'd been playing for about 12 years.
Whether you like him or not, Kyrgios matches rate relatively highly

Organisers are probably hoping for a Nadal semi

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Whether you like him or not, Kyrgios matches rate relatively highly

Organisers are probably hoping for a Nadal semi
Clearly there are some very sad people out there if that's what draws them to the sport.

On the other hand, here is his compatriot Pat Cash's view on the matter:

He’s brought tennis to the lowest level I can see as far as gamesmanship, cheating, manipulation, abuse, aggressive behaviour to umpires, to linesmen. Something has got to be done about it. It’s just an absolute circus. It’s gone to the absolute limit now.
Tsitsipas would make a line call and he’d go up there and start complaining, he’d be in his face - that’s part of gamesmanship, that’s the sort of stuff he does and I think there’s a limit.
Let’s hope he doesn’t drop tennis there to a lower level than he did on Saturday.

social

Clearly there are some very sad people out there if that's what draws them to the sport.

He’s brought tennis to the lowest level I can see as far as gamesmanship, cheating, manipulation, abuse, aggressive behaviour to umpires, to linesmen. Something has got to be done about it. It’s just an absolute circus. It’s gone to the absolute limit now.
Tsitsipas would make a line call and he’d go up there and start complaining, he’d be in his face - that’s part of gamesmanship, that’s the sort of stuff he does and I think there’s a limit.
Let’s hope he doesn’t drop tennis there to a lower level than he did on Saturday.
Pat Cash was no choir boy either

All we need now is Hewitt

Shady Slim

International Coach

lol what a wiener

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ah well :happy:

At least Cash got disqualified at some stage. It remains to be seen whether the current people in charge will have the balls to do that to Kyrgios. My guess is probably not. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure that Cash's past misdemeanours even deprive him of the right to comment on the current uber-brat.

the big bambino

International Captain
Experience has credibility. Reformed recalcitrants have valuable opinions. Cash’s words are just as valid if they’d come from a choir boy. Discounting them because of his past is a non argument.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

I hope Kyrgios wins Wimbledon purely for the conniptions it will give the blazer and boater hat wearing ****wits that swan around pretending they know/care about the tennis. They're the same tools that hang out behind the stands at Lord's wearing blazers that look like they've had mustard and tomato sauce spilt all over them, ignoring the cricket that's on while they engage in what I can only imagine is a verbal circle jerk of Titanic proportions.

In all likelihood though if he makes the final, he'll get defaulted before the first set is out.

mr_mister

I hope Kyrgios wins Wimbledon purely for the conniptions it will give the blazer and boater hat wearing ****wits that swan around pretending they know/care about the tennis. They're the same tools that hang out behind the stands at Lord's wearing blazers that look like they've had mustard and tomato sauce spilt all over them, ignoring the cricket that's on while they engage in what I can only imagine is a verbal circle jerk of Titanic proportions.

In all likelihood though if he makes the final, he'll get defaulted before the first set is out.
Couldn't see them doing that in a final... The organisers are always praying they're 5 set epics

mr_mister

Also, damn we were so close to an all Aussie quarter final. Would have been very interesting. De Minuar seems like a great guy and Kyrgios a non but I could still see him getting more support

Shady Slim

International Coach
Ah well :happy:

At least Cash got disqualified at some stage. It remains to be seen whether the current people in charge will have the balls to do that to Kyrgios. My guess is probably not. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure that Cash's past misdemeanours even deprive him of the right to comment on the current uber-brat.
Experience has credibility. Reformed recalcitrants have valuable opinions. Cash’s words are just as valid if they’d come from a choir boy. Discounting them because of his past is a non argument.
they certainly don't deprive him of rights to comment but it does make the pearl clutching seem a bit gauche

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Kyrgios comes across as an annoying teenager, but the guy asking the questions is SO off the charts obnoxious that I’m finding it hard not to root for Kyrgios anyway.