• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
archie mac said:
I missed them saying 'The big serving Croat'

He was my favourite player, I wonder if he still has it?
yeh will be interesting to see which of the 3 Goran's turn up on the day, maybe we'll get lucky and they all will!

archie mac

International Coach
broncoman said:
yeh will be interesting to see which of the 3 Goran's turn up on the day, maybe we'll get lucky and they all will!

Lol :D I think only the little Aussie has any of the split personality that Goran had, didn't he have a priest on tour with him, to help keep him calm?

Simon

archie mac said:
Lol :D I think only the little Aussie has any of the split personality that Goran had, didn't he have a priest on tour with him, to help keep him calm?
never knew that but it would hardly surprise me!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
YES! Awesome news. Goran is the king :cool:

I was really sad when Hewitt was the one to end his career at the 2004 Wimbledon. Goran vs. Rafter at Wimbledon 2001 final is still one of my favourite matches ever.

Go Goran :cool:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, you guys are really excited about this. Firstly, no one seems to care much about Davis Cup anymore. Croatia and Slovakia (I think that's who they're playing) are not really tennis heavyweights. Secondly, so what if Goran comes back for one tie. Chances are none of you are going to even see the match.

However, I won't rain on your parade. You guys have the right to be excited about this. It's that I'm a huge tennis fan and I really can't see the big deal about this.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Great News, But I don't think we really need him. Ljubicic, Karlovic and Ancic should be good enough to do it on their own. But good luck to Goran anyway, He deserves it. GO CROATIA!!!

C_C

International Captain
Goran is my favourite tennis personality and is one of the few i would root for, irrespective of form, class or the actual game.
A brilliant man with a quick wit - the guy is gutbustingly hillarious.
Here's to hoping that the winner of the most magical wimbledon final ever gets to make it and entertain us for a while longer with his superb wit and attractive but erratic game.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not sure if it`s the right thing to do, but I hope it goes well for him. Legend. That final with Rafter... I mean WHOA! Good ole lefte-hande Croats. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Ancic is such a champ. Even with a name like Mario. Keep these articles coming Si, appreciated.

Majin

International Debutant
Ah, this is good to hear. Goran was my favourite player ever, and that Final with Rafter was one of the most nervewracking sporting events i've ever watched.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nalbandian beats Federer in the Masters Cup Final

I looked to see if any of the regular CWer tennis fans had made a thread on this and didn't find it, but if I've missed it apologies.

My oh my what a win by David Nalbandian! Two sets down to Federer in the Masters Cup final, and he fights back to win it in five, 6-7 6-7 6-2 6-1 7-6. He's long been one of my favourite tennis players (His 5 set battle with Hewitt at the Aus Open 05 is one of his best matches I reckon, despite losing it) but I didn't expect him to win it. Not in a million years, seeing as Federer was on the verge of breaking (or was it equalling) McEnroe's win percentage record in a calendar year record. Added to that, Federer seemed in red hot form after demolishing Gaudio 6-0 6-0.

Nalbandian has always been a player capable of beating any player on a given day, and always part of a "pack of 8 or 10" that you'd pick to get to the quarters and semis however this could be a turning point in his career. He already won the Davis Cup round for Argentina against Australia by belting Hewitt earlier this year. He's definitely on the rise, that's for sure.

The replay is on now if anyone didn't get a chance to watch the match.

Last edited:

Simon

yeh it was a great match, Federer definately wasnt fit enough for a 5 setter, i agree with most of the players that the season needs to be shorter, in the end the masters cup was a bit of a farce with Safin, Roddick, Agassi, Hewitt and Nadal not playing...
i wasnt all that interested in it but i did watch it last night expecting a good match, Nalbandian just hung in there and played solidly and federer kinda wasnt up for a long match and Nalbandian deservingly won....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No doubt. The Masters Cup is always a favourite tournament of mine, and without all those players it was extremely disappointing. But at the same time, I do feel Federer got complacent (whilst as you said, not being 'up for' the long battle) and Nalbandian took a perfect opportunity. With all the stars out except the best in the world, it seemed it'd be a cake walk. Instead Nalbandian prevented Federer from ending the year as a record breaker.

I hope he continues on like this. I also hope next year's Masters Cup will have the true top ranked players all playing. Otherwise the concept isn't upheld.